+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

josh123

Mar 27, 2014
Congratulations! I am new in this forum. I just wondering when you apply, in schedule 3, did they ask you to fill in the form which NOC you will like to use in your application? I have work experience in my home country as well. But I have concern about the reference letters. I am debating on which NOC I should put in schedule 3, NOC 4012 for TA and RA or my work experience? If you choose one NOC in schedule but they did not consider that reference letter, will they consider the other NOC automatically? Thanks a lot.

IamApplicant said:
Hello all,

As I promised before, I am updating you about my latest GCMS notes.

I did not get any adaptability points.
My home country work experience was rejected because it did not include main duties of the specified NOC code.
My PhD work experience as an RA was accepted.

P.S. I got RPRF request about a month ago.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
N_O said:
Congrats! I got mine on Saturday too, I think it is generated automatically once you passed the eligibility.
Congrats N_O.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Does any body here got passport request without giving a RCMP and/or bio data?

I got my pass request and the decision is made. But no sign of RCMP/bio data!

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
arian_arian said:
My MP today sent me this email. This is the response that CIC gave to my MP.

What do you guys think???
That's an interesting response.

There is never a requirement that you cannot apply work experience that will be applied towards your thesis work. Is there such a requirement that you have to have published papers or presented in conferences at your school in order to graduate? I know that it is a common practice in European universities to have a publishing requirement, but not so much in Canada. If not, then you can tell them that you co-authoring several papers with your supervisors (whom you are assisting) is NOT a requirement for you to finish your study. Make it clear that you are assisting your supervisor (who is a university professor; important point for the lead statement) in his research activities, in that, his/her name would show up on all papers and conference talks that you are presenting.

Again, I'm not aware of any requirements whether in IRPA or IRPR that you cannot perform your duties for your thesis work. You cannot be remunerated for your study (full-time study is, I believe, 15 hours of instructions per week, whatever you're doing as an RA certainly does not qualify under 'study' if we are to use this definition). If you are remunerated, then it is paid work experience. There is a reason why NOC 4012 has a requirement that one needs to be enrolled in a university program (a post-doc, for example, even though he performs similar duties as an RA, cannot claim NOC 4012), in that, you need to be a student in order to be a TA/RA.

hamed_hamed_hamed said:

Congrats for the PPR :) Not everybody got requested for RCMP, though usually, the bio-data form comes with the PPR email. If they are not asking for it, then you probably won't need it then :)

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
IamApplicant said:
Hello all,

A quick question. My medical results have been received.

I want to renew my passport in the meanwhile because it's gonna expire in less than 6 months.
Should I inform CIC before renewing?

Thanks for your time.
I think you can ask CIC...just call them and ask as a general question...they will guide you...otherwise if they send you a passport request in the next one or two months (or more in some cases)....you would have to do your landing before the old passport expires...

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
hamed_hamed_hamed said:

Yeah I was never asked for RCMP nor bio data...

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
meyakanor said:
That's an interesting response.

There is never a requirement that you cannot apply work experience that will be applied towards your thesis work. Is there such a requirement that you have to have published papers or presented in conferences at your school in order to graduate? I know that it is a common practice in European universities to have a publishing requirement, but not so much in Canada. If not, then you can tell them that you co-authoring several papers with your supervisors (whom you are assisting) is NOT a requirement for you to finish your study. Make it clear that you are assisting your supervisor (who is a university professor; important point for the lead statement) in his research activities, in that, his/her name would show up on all papers and conference talks that you are presenting.

Again, I'm not aware of any requirements whether in IRPA or IRPR that you cannot perform your duties for your thesis work. You cannot be remunerated for your study (full-time study is, I believe, 15 hours of instructions per week, whatever you're doing as an RA certainly does not qualify under 'study' if we are to use this definition). If you are remunerated, then it is paid work experience. There is a reason why NOC 4012 has a requirement that one needs to be enrolled in a university program (a post-doc, for example, even though he performs similar duties as an RA, cannot claim NOC 4012), in that, you need to be a student in order to be a TA/RA.

Congrats for the PPR :) Not everybody got requested for RCMP, though usually, the bio-data form comes with the PPR email. If they are not asking for it, then you probably won't need it then :)
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you.
There is no requirements that I have to publish papers at my university. You can get your PhD without any publication.
I don't think there is a requirement that you cannot apply work experience that will be applied towards your thesis work.

I think for now I don't answer to this email until I get the written reasons from CIC. (I have already appealed and I am waiting for their reasons!). Maybe this is not the official reason and they just told something to my MP.
I am worried that whatever I reply to this email, They will use it against me in the court as a misrepresentation.

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
salem10 said:
That what I have presented here long time ago when this stream is initiated. Many people become angry on me and asked me to not post any more on this thread, "N_O and others". Yes, there is main issue for applicants under this stream. Simply, TA or RA that part of applicant's study should not be counted as experience even get paid for. That is simple. People should report actual hours that spent on any work or project that not related to their research topic and consequently and of this results should not be reported in his/her thesis. Any other definition and use of hours is misrepresentation.
This, also, support why CIC asked some people to send publication or study topic. They can compare if claimed work experience showed in their PhD topic.
Thanks for your reply. But the thing is as "meyakanor" said, there is no rule to prevent that.
I do understand that they might not like TA/RA work experience. But they can simply put that in a rule like the CEC category.

in CEC the work experience that you gain while you are full-time student is not acceptable.

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
This the rules and regulations regarding work experience in IRPR of the year 2013.

75. (1) For the purposes of subsection 12(2) of the Act, the federal skilled worker class is hereby prescribed as a class of persons who are skilled workers and who may become permanent residents on the basis of their ability to become economically established in Canada and who intend to reside in a province other than the Province of Quebec.
Marginal note:Skilled workers

(2) A foreign national is a skilled worker if

(a) within the 10 years preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa, they have at least one year of continuous full-time employment experience, as described in subsection 80(7), or the equivalent in continuous part-time employment in one or more occupations, other than a restricted occupation, that are listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;

(b) during that period of employment they performed the actions described in the lead statement for the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification; and

(c) during that period of employment they performed a substantial number of the main duties of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, including all of the essential duties.
Marginal note:Minimal requirements

(3) If the foreign national fails to meet the requirements of subsection (2), the application for a permanent resident visa shall be refused and no further assessment is required.

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
arian_arian said:
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you.
There is no requirements that I have to publish papers at my university. You can get your PhD without any publication.
I don't think there is a requirement that you cannot apply work experience that will be applied towards your thesis work.

I think for now I don't answer to this email until I get the written reasons from CIC. (I have already appealed and I am waiting for their reasons!). Maybe this is not the official reason and they just told something to my MP.
I am worried that whatever I reply to this email, They will use it against me in the court as a misrepresentation.
You are absolutely right. Don't provide them any document explaining these. If this was a legal reason for rejecting an application they would reject you with this reason not the reasons they mentioned in the rejection email. Wish you good luck.

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
arian_arian said:
This the rules and regulations regarding work experience in IRPR of the year 2013.
I just don't understand how come they accept updated ref letters. The IRPR clearly says:

"within the 10 years preceding the date of their application for a permanent resident visa"

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
meyakanor said:
There is a reason why NOC 4012 has a requirement that one needs to be enrolled in a university program (a post-doc, for example, even though he performs similar duties as an RA, cannot claim NOC 4012), in that, you need to be a student in order to be a TA/RA.
Could you please let me know how you found that post-doc cannot claim NOC 4012?

It seems based on the below rule they should be able to.

"(3) For the purposes of subsection (1), a skilled worker is considered to have experience in an occupation, regardless of whether they meet the employment requirements of the occupation as set out in the occupational descriptions of the National Occupational Classification, if they performed"

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
Parkinson said:
You are absolutely right. Don't provide them any document explaining these. If this was a legal reason for rejecting an application they would reject you with this reason not the reasons they mentioned in the rejection email. Wish you good luck.
You are right. Thanks.