+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

2MarriedPhDs

Feb 18, 2014
N_O said:
That is right, unless they rescheduled it again! Did you find a due date in you GCMS notes?
I didn't get any adaptability points for spouse's education and my Canadian child! Let's hope that Ottawa will award us those points.
Hi N_O, thanks for the reply.
Yes, my due date is June 6, 2014.
They awarded me 75 points, but from what I read here in this forum this is just an initial assessment, right?
When the application is reviewed in Ottawa they can change my points? In other words, can I still be rejected for being below the 67 points?

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
2MarriedPhDs said:
Hi N_O, thanks for the reply.
Yes, my due date is June 6, 2014.
They awarded me 75 points, but from what I read here in this forum this is just an initial assessment, right?
When the application is reviewed in Ottawa they can change my points? In other words, can I still be rejected for being below the 67 points?
Hello there,

You're welcome!
If you just need one year of work experience to be above 67 then there is no need to be worried, unless they rejected you for not meeting the minimum requirement of one year!
Good luck!

Edit: Are you entitled for those 5 points of a Canadian relative or a child? If yes, did they award you them?

2MarriedPhDs

Feb 18, 2014
N_O said:
Hello there,

You're welcome!
If you just need one year of work experience to be above 67 then there is no need to be worried, unless they rejected you for not meeting the minimum requirement of one year!
Good luck!

Edit: Are you entitled for those 5 points of a Canadian relative or a child? If yes, did they award you them?
Hi N_O,

I wasn't entitled to these points. However, they awarded me 5 points of adaptability for having worked full-time in Canada...
This is what is concerning me the most: I never worked in Canada under Work Permit, only as an RA at my university.
So I am afraid someone from Ottawa will remove my points from that...
However, I was entitled 5 points for Spouse education, which they didn't give me.
I am not sure if I should file a complaint now about these 5 points or if I should wait and see.
I am under the impression that this first assessment is done in a hurry, not looking into the details of the application.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
2MarriedPhDs said:
Hi N_O,

I wasn't entitled to these points. However, they awarded me 5 points of adaptability for having worked full-time in Canada...
This is what is concerning me the most: I never worked in Canada under Work Permit, only as an RA at my university.
So I am afraid someone from Ottawa will remove my points from that...
However, I was entitled 5 points for Spouse education, which they didn't give me.
I am not sure if I should file a complaint now about these 5 points or if I should wait and see.
I am under the impression that this first assessment is done in a hurry, not looking into the details of the application.
Oh, I see! I think Ottawa will remove those points. This will leave you with 70 points without the adaptability points, which means you need at least 3 years to be approved.
Hopefully, they'll approve all of your work experience and so you won't even need your wife's points. By the way, we are in the same boat, I got 70 points without any adaptability points, I sent them an email but their answer was thamy file hasn't been assessed yet. The CIO assessment means nothing to Ottawa.

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
sgtrigger said:
sorry to hear that...you cant do anything unless they have made an error...If you feel that they have not seen your previous work experience then you can email them and check....otherwise wait till you get a permanent job as you said and then apply...
once you get a job...check if you can apply under any other stream as well like provincial nominee....those are much faster...
Thanks for your nice reply. For my case, I wouldn't say it's an error or what. I started my PhD in US for 15 months, and then I transferred to McGill simply due to my supervisor change his job. So my RA experience in US and McGill are exactly the same. CPP-O officer only give credit to my McGill experience, I can get enough points (67+) if they give credit as well to my US RA experience since I only have 1 point short right now. I'm trying to talk with lawyer regarding this issue, so should I give up appealing?

Also, based on the discussion here, seems PhD stream is not the best choice, should I wait until I have one year of working experience and go with experienced worker stream instead? Thanks in advance for kind advices.

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
N_O said:
Unfortunately, that is impossible! Their decision is final unless they made a mistake then you can appeal.
Thanks for your kind reply. So it seems I should wait until I got one year experience and go with a different stream. So annoying.
Good luck for the future applicants.

swstar

Mar 20, 2014
Hi all,
I registered today as I am planning to apply for PhD stream for FSW.
From the previous posts, I noticed that proving intention of living outside Quebec is a real worrying issue for applicants from Quebec.
Since I am doing PhD in McGill University, I expect to face the question from the CIC officer about this issue.
What I can say at this point is that I cannot speak French at all, while many Quebec employers require French ability.
Sounds a bit silly, but this is the only argument that I can make. Do you guys think this can work to convince the CIC officer?
Any opinion would be appreciated !!!

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
After more than 13 months from getting my PER letter, I finally heard something from Ottawa. I got a document request today (POF), finally I will be red instead of green in the tracker :)

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
IELTS Request
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Is that related to GCMS request !! I just got my GCMS 2 days ago !

2MarriedPhDs

Feb 18, 2014
N_O said:
Oh, I see! I think Ottawa will remove those points. This will leave you with 70 points without the adaptability points, which means you need at least 3 years to be approved.
Hopefully, they'll approve all of your work experience and so you won't even need your wife's points. By the way, we are in the same boat, I got 70 points without any adaptability points, I sent them an email but their answer was thamy file hasn't been assessed yet. The CIO assessment means nothing to Ottawa.
Hi N_O,

Are you telling me that I shouldn't expect Ottawa to grant the 5 adaptability points for my spouse? Because, to be honest, I am really concerned about my work experiece time and how much they are really going to consider of it.
If my spouse has a Master's degree, we should get points for that, right?
What if they don't give us those points and reject our application? Is there a way to appeal their decision and ask for the 5 points (which we deserve???).
Sorry, I am getting stressed out with this whole thing. ???

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
2MarriedPhDs said:
Hi N_O,

Are you telling me that I shouldn't expect Ottawa to grant the 5 adaptability points for my spouse? Because, to be honest, I am really concerned about my work experiece time and how much they are really going to consider of it.
If my spouse has a Master's degree, we should get points for that, right?
What if they don't give us those points and reject our application? Is there a way to appeal their decision and ask for the 5 points (which we deserve???).
Sorry, I am getting stressed out with this whole thing. ???
I did not get points for my wifes education as well but got points for my work experience...i guess ottawa will check that and make the appropriate change in it...i will let you know what happens with my file...

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
mapleisland said:
Thanks for your nice reply. For my case, I wouldn't say it's an error or what. I started my PhD in US for 15 months, and then I transferred to McGill simply due to my supervisor change his job. So my RA experience in US and McGill are exactly the same. CPP-O officer only give credit to my McGill experience, I can get enough points (67+) if they give credit as well to my US RA experience since I only have 1 point short right now. I'm trying to talk with lawyer regarding this issue, so should I give up appealing?

Also, based on the discussion here, seems PhD stream is not the best choice, should I wait until I have one year of working experience and go with experienced worker stream instead? Thanks in advance for kind advices.
im not sure why they did not give you RA experience for your work in the US. Maybe you should have explained that in writing to them when you had submitted them the application. I am not aware of what to do in this situation, hopefully, somebody else from the forum can guide you better.

the federal skilled worker category will only depend if they want people from your field. if they want, then you can apply, unless you have arranged employment in which case you can apply whenever. Check the provincial nominees as well. I dont know what the eligibility criteria is in Ontario but check with their nominee program as well.

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
The_Prince said:
After more than 13 months from getting my PER letter, I finally heard something from Ottawa. I got a document request today (POF), finally I will be red instead of green in the tracker :)
Had you submitted POF before at the time of application?

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
IELTS Request
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
aidina said:
Absolutely not. When was your due date, Feb. 27th?
No, it is April 1