+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

pfau

Nov 18, 2013
Hey All,

Just to keep the spreadsheet up-to-date, I received my PER today by email. I'm hoping this means that my eligibility will TRULY be recognized by all of the relevant bureaucracies (as I've seen the occasional comment on here about the visa office disagreeing with the eligibility assessment of the CIO, etc.). The email also "acknowledge[d] receipt of your payment dated 9 Jan 2014".

Continued well wishes to all applicants!

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
I will need to have your opinions on a question I have regarding the FSW vs. Quebec immigration system. I can imagine that a previous application to the Quebec immigration system will complicate a later new application for FSW (Due to this thing about intention to live in any province other than Quebec). But my question is does it also work the other way too? Like if a quebec student who will get his/her degree from quebec and has lived here and know enough French to pass the requirements for quebec immigration,AND have previously applied to FSW and rejected for a reason, would it raise questions for Quebec immigration system as to his/her intentions to live in anywhere other than Quebec and cause refusal? I personally guess NOT.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Anna2013 said:
Guys, I was wondering who is the "reference letter expert" here and is willing to (kindly) read my reference letter to see if it covers everything. Please let me know if you have the time to help me. Thanks!
Better to have multiple people's OK.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question about security documents: does everyone provide background checks when sending their application, or do some people wait a few months to know that their file is being processed to send them?

Thanks a lot!

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
meyakanor said:
By the time you apply for citizenship, you must have at least 1,095 days within the past four years. Days you spent in Canada within the past four years as a non-PR would only count half.

Remember, you can only look up to the last four years, and must have at least 1,095 days. You can have as many non-PR days as possible within the last four years, but note that you would not ever get more than 1,095 days without staying in Canada as a PR for AT LEAST two years, since your non-PR days would start leaving the 4-year window for citizenship calculation.

So if you apply for citizenship today (Jan 16 2014), you can only count the total number of days from Jan 16 2010. Each day you spent as a non-PR from Jan 16 2010 to Jan 16 2014 counts as half day, whereas as a PR, it counts as full day. If you have more than 1,095 days, then you're eligible to apply.
+1

Great answer. I second that.

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
Dear all..

I have finally completed the landing process today. Since I already had a visa for the US, I opted for going on a short visit to the US instead of flagpoling. On the way back the landing process went smoothly at the border and took 10-15 minutes. The officer was a nice person and he completed all the paper work quickly. He asked a couple of questions, reviewed the information in the CoPR with me and asked me to sign both copies and returned my copy along with some information on the rights and obligations of permanent residence, citizenship, health insurance, SIN, etc. He then asked me for the address where the PR card will be sent and whether I have any questions for him. I said no and thanked him and he congratulated me on becoming a PR.

I would like to thank everyone in this thread. You have all been very helpful, kind, and informative. And if it wasn't for this thread, I might have not known about the problem with the lead statement and duties in reference letters and that I should update my reference letter.

I wish you all the best of luck with your applications. I will be following the thread from time to time to see if anyone has any question that I am able to answer and whether I can help or give advice about something.

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
Great! Congrats. This is a good news for Iranians for whom we were suspicious that their passport request takes a long time.
Thanks!

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
ASG said:
Question about security documents
Background checks are two-fold

a. verifying the authenticity of the documents that we submit including details regarding our employment history - done by CIC.

b.Security clearance -handled jointly by the CBSA and CSIS

Yes, all applicants above the age of 18 have to clear the security filter.

Sending additional documents will not speed up security clearance. You just have to allow the checks to run their course

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
informer2000 said:
I have finally completed the landing process today.
Congrats !. All the very best for your future endeavours

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
S_Govind said:
Background checks are two-fold

a. verifying the authenticity of the documents that we submit including details regarding our employment history - done by CIC.

b.Security clearance -handled jointly by the CBSA and CSIS

Yes, all applicants above the age of 18 have to clear the security filter.

Sending additional documents will not speed up security clearance. You just have to allow the checks to run their course
thanks for your reply!
My goal is not to speed up the process but to send a complete application - I was just wondering if it was okay not to send criminal records initially, and wait a little before providing them so that we don't have to do it twice during the processing time.
Any ideas on that?

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
informer2000 said:
Dear all..

I have finally completed the landing process today.

I wish you all the best of luck with your applications. I will be following the thread from time to time to see if anyone has any question that I am able to answer and whether I can help or give advice about something.

Bravo!

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
ASG said:
thanks for your reply!
My goal is not to speed up the process but to send a complete application - I was just wondering if it was okay not to send criminal records initially, and wait a little before providing them so that we don't have to do it twice during the processing time.
Any ideas on that?
Sure you can. They will ask it from you when they start processing your application at Ottawa.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aidina said:
Sure you can. They will ask it from you when they start processing your application at Ottawa.
Awesome! Thanks! I really would not want to send an incomplete application.

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Dear all,

I have the following case which may be useful to you and may help me if any of you have the same situation:
I have applied for the permanent resident under the PhD stream and I've got the PER. Now, unfortunately, after I have graduated I applied for the post graduate work permit for me , an extension for my wife open work permit as well as an extension for my child temporary visitor permit. The cic approved my PGWP and my child visitor extension but they refused my wife extension and the reason is that I dont have a job offer yet. Before their final decision on her application, they sent me a letter requesting about my job offer which I dont have. I wrote a clarification letter that she is working and included her contract as well as the email of the PER that I received. But they refused her application. I called the cic (call centre) and they mentioned that my wife can apply for an open work permit as you have approved in principle for permanent resident i.e. the PER. When I asked them why the application got refused as I included the PER letter, they told me that she should apply under her name and for open work permit and support her application by showing any evidence that you are her spouse (for example marriage certificate). I looked for any information in cic website related to that but I could not find any. I am really confused and dont know what to do? Any help or someone has similar case and would like to share I highly appreciated.
Thanks