+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Guys,

I am trying to gather my documents again! Are National IDs mandatory to include? I do not have an English translation of my National ID. In the checklist it says: "national IDs, family/household registry/book (if applicable)". I appreciate it if you give me tips regarding this... Thanks!

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anna2013 said:
I agree that two people cannot represent the sample but I strongly believe that the rejections were systematic. I hear from here and there that many people in this category got rejected (including myself). If a PhD student/graduate (whose main training and specialty is to do research/gather documents/write high quality papers/prepare thesis etc) in Canadian institutes cannot prepare an application that is approvable then WHO CAN? If we, after many years studying/living/working in Canadian systems lack the ability to prepare an application according to the guides and fail to go through the immigration filter then how come that many who have not seen Canadian soil can make through this system?
The rejection rate of the PhD stream for the people who are not in this forum should be much higher. If you look at the tracker all of us have updated our reference letters. I myself updated it two times. Otherwise, my application had been rejected because of the word ASSIST. I also believe that they try their best to reject applications in the PhD stream.

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anna2013 said:
Guys,

I am trying to gather my documents again! Are National IDs mandatory to include? I do not have an English translation of my National ID. In the checklist it says: "national IDs, family/household registry/book (if applicable)". I appreciate it if you give me tips regarding this... Thanks!
I included the translation of my national ID in my application package.

Wish you the best of luck!

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
beh467 said:
The rejection rate of the PhD stream for the people who are not in this forum should be much higher. If you look at the tracker all of us have updated our reference letters. I myself updated it two times. Otherwise, my application had been rejected because of the word ASSIST. I also believe that they try their best to reject applications in the PhD stream.
I also updated, but there was not much that I could add to my letter. If I did, then I was not honest and also my employer would have never signed it. I was an instructor and it is under NOC 4011 with university professors while these two are a bit different. The thing is that this stupid system is supporting/encouraging/forcing dishonesty.

Although I do hope the best for who got approved with RA, I think it is just too sad that many got approved with RA but my application didn't go through with real job experience.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
beh467 said:
I included the translation of my national ID in my application package.

Wish you the best of luck!
Thanks for your response, I want to include but I don't have any more translations at this time. Wish you the best as well...

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
eCAS updated to 'Decision made', a day after my passport reached Ottawa and three days after medicals were received. Please update the tracker.

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
northyorkca said:
Thanks for this reply. So, just to clarify, you mean I won't get a passport request from them? Just the COPR in the mail only?

Also, I received my latest round of GCMS notes this morning. The updated reference letters made a huge difference in the second review of my application. Whereas the first reviewer (after the initial PER) had only awarded me 61 points and accepted almost none of my work experience, the second reviewer awarded me 76 points total. For those still in the waiting process, I definitely recommend getting GCMS notes regularly. It can give you the time to update letters if necessary.
Hi,
Just a quick question, when we order the GCMS online, which act should we choose?
Thank you

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
hamza.625 said:
Hello everybody,

I am going to submit my application next week. Is here anybody who submitted his/her application to any other visa processing center other than CPP-Ottawa? Someone told me that it is faster if you apply to the processing center designated for your home country. He said he submitted to Delhi and he got his PR by 8 months. The processing center of my home country is Singapore and he encouraged me to apply there.

Regards.
You can choose there. Check the current processing time to find out if it would be faster or not.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
beh467 said:
The rejection rate was very very high at the beginning. Those who joined this forum later on were very lucky as they got advantage of the early people's experience. That time we were just getting a rejection after another because of the reference letters, and were not even sure whether we are allowed to update our reference letters or not. As I remember, it was my case for the first time in this forum that showed updated letters are considered by CIC, even if my file was rejected, and it took me 2 month to convince the CIC people to re-open it. That' why I am still here after 23 month. This rate is much much better these days as people have almost discovered all the requirements regarding the reference letters after 2 years.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Hello Guys,

Have any of you applied with job duties of 40 hrs/week as an RA. I applied via CEC with RA (40 hrs/week) and got rejected. I am planning to apply through PhD stream and in a doubt if I should submit the RAship again or not, as I have more than 2 years of experience as an IT engineer.

Does RAship (during my current phd studies for 3+ years) makes my application weak, what do you guys think. My supervisor can provide me letter with all the info required.

P.S: I dont receive research assistantship but get money as "Graduate Research Studentship"

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beh467 said:

I agree. My case is different because I had selected the wrong NOC code, but had I selected the right one, I would still have been rejected based on the letter. The "word for word" thing from the NOC description makes little sense (lead statement and blah blah blah).

I think it'd be worth getting in touch with the people featured in the article and start a group to see where things go. At least, maybe a lawyer could be interested in the issue and check out the rejection rate and reasons for rejection. From our end, it looks like it's letter, letter, and letter, and you'll notice that the year the stream opened had a higher rejection rate than it does now.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
ASG said:
I agree. My case is different because I had selected the wrong NOC code, but had I selected the right one, I would still have been rejected based on the letter. The "word for word" thing from the NOC description makes little sense (lead statement and blah blah blah).

I think it'd be worth getting in touch with the people featured in the article and start a group to see where things go. At least, maybe a lawyer could be interested in the issue and check out the rejection rate and reasons for rejection. From our end, it looks like it's letter, letter, and letter, and you'll notice that the year the stream opened had a higher rejection rate than it does now.
I asked the writer to open the comment section of the article, and he kindly opened it. It is now open. I think it is a good platform so that we can share our stories.

Guys, please please go and write down your thought. At least to support these two courageous people who put themselves forward.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
eCAS says Decision Made. Please update the tracker. Running parallel to S_Govind.

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
PhdStream said:
Hello Guys,

Have any of you applied with job duties of 40 hrs/week as an RA. I applied via CEC with RA (40 hrs/week) and got rejected. I am planning to apply through PhD stream and in a doubt if I should submit the RAship again or not, as I have more than 2 years of experience as an IT engineer.

Does RAship (during my current phd studies for 3+ years) makes my application weak, what do you guys think. My supervisor can provide me letter with all the info required.

P.S: I dont receive research assistantship but get money as "Graduate Research Studentship"
I'd recommend not going for 40 hrs/week as this may conflict with the fact the you are/were a full-time student. This has been discussed before in this thread. I don't think there is an exact answer, but my guess is 25-30 hrs/week may be more reasonable. That said, I think there were cases were even 40 hrs/week was accepted. RA experience (or any work while studying) is no longer accepted in the CEC. For the PhD stream, it is still acceptable. It does not make your application weak. Some of us actually applied with only RA experience. Just make sure you check this thread for good reference letter templates.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
mapleisland said:
Congratulations! Really happy to hear your good news. So you haven't been asked for the proof of intent to live outside of Quebec then?
No as I updated them with supporting documents mentioned in my earlier post proactively, maybe thats why, else I don't see any reason why.