+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

L_Bloom

Jun 20, 2012
Hi,
The problem is that I have a 'white coat syndrome'. My blood pressure at home is in a normal range but even with my family doctor I have elevated blood pressure. My heart and kidney are in perfect conditions. I hope for the best but it is quite annoying.

mab20202

Oct 7, 2013
Hi guys

I am about to send my application package under phd stream, got 2 questions;

1- In schedule 3, Question 9a, Work in Canada says:
a) Check the appropriate box to indicate whether you have worked full-time in Canada in the past for at least one
year in an occupation that is listed in Skill Type 0, Skill Level A or B of NOC 2011.
I want to answer to this question as: "yes",
since I had a work experience of research & teaching assistanships in Canada. Is that okay?

2- Should we pay the fees online or we just include the hard-copy payment form?
If online, where is the link?

Thanks!

Concordian777

Oct 6, 2013
Dear All,

Sorry for interruption. i'm a PhD student in a quebec university. Can anyone please confirm if i'm eligible to apply for Federal PhD stream Or i need to apply through CSQ thingy. ??

thanks

aysuda

Jul 2, 2013
Hey all,

I have two questions regarding my friend's application:

1.On Friday ,she has emailed Ottawa to update her two work reference letters and asked them to confirm of their receipt but she has just received the auto reply and did not get any answer yet to see if they have updated her letters. So, what would you recommend to do next to make sure about it? she will also mail the both letters by tomorrow.

2.if they need our phd info and CV , do we need to consider anything special? As hamed_hamed_hamed said should it be done in an official paper signed by university or our supervisor? It does not make sense to me , for updating our CV and phd info why we should get them signed by the university!! I am asking this because students usually don't access to the original letterhead papers and also university would not signed the CVs for students!!

Thanks,

hamed_hamed_hamed said:
I have an urgent question.

CIO asked me to provide them with Ph.D. program information:
o The field of study for your doctoral program,
o The name and contact details of your doctoral advisor and/or academic supervisor,
o A detailed Curriculum Vitae, and
o A list of all publications that you have authored or have participated in.
This must be received at this office by: 09/07/2013.

A friend of mine just told me all these info should be in paper with official sign from supervisor/person in charge in the university.

Is it true?

As I said I'm now out of Canada in my home country and will be back about 3 weeks later. I am not able to provide those docs before Setp. 7.

Should I really provide my program info by paper? I thought I can send them by email!!!
I think I have two options: Ask them to give me more time until I return to Canada, or Sending the info by email.
What do you suggest?

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
Hello all,

Back in April I started my application for PR through the PhD stream; I sent it
a few days before May 4th 2013, which was the day they made some changes
to the requirements, including a slightly changed form (IMM 0008 Schedule 3).
Apparently they assess the applications according to the day they receive
them, so mine was not good (I prepared it using the pre-May 4th instructions).

So it's clear to me that they returned my application because of the above
reason, that is, I used the pre-May 4th instructions which were obsolete by
the time they received my application. However I'm confused a little bit with
the wording of their reply. Were they not happy with my work experience?

You can see their reply and what they highlighted in the first three pages here:
http://i.imgur.com/qJvt0eW.jpg. One of the things they highlighted is
the changes to eligibility in the FSW program but then they also highlight the
work experience part. I don't really understand that.. You can see in the rest
of the pages of the link above that I justify 2392.5 hours of work during the last
5 years. Is there something wrong?

Any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated.. Many thanks.

EDIT: please click on the image to magnify the document

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Hi

aysuda said:
1.On Friday ,she has emailed Ottawa to update her two work reference letters and asked them to confirm of their receipt but she has just received the auto reply and did not get any answer yet to see if they have updated her letters. So, what would you recommend to do next to make sure about it? she will also mail the both letters by tomorrow.
Email one more time asking if they received the documents. Eventually some visa officer will respond. Meanwhile, order GCMS notes---when she receives them 4 weeks later, it will show if the letter has been added to the file.

aysuda said:
2.if they need our phd info and CV , do we need to consider anything special? As hamed_hamed_hamed said should it be done in an official paper signed by university or our supervisor? It does not make sense to me , for updating our CV and phd info why we should get them signed by the university!! I am asking this because students usually don't access to the original letterhead papers and also university would not signed the CVs for students!!
If they do not ask for anything special, don't do it. I don't see why CV should be on an official letterhead.

Regards

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Hi

geo909 said:
Back in April I started my application for PR through the PhD stream; I sent it
a few days before May 4th 2013, which was the day they made some changes
to the requirements, including a slightly changed form (IMM 0008 Schedule 3).
Apparently they assess the applications according to the day they receive
them, so mine was not good (I prepared it using the pre-May 4th instructions).
Indeed. They asses an application based on the date it is received, not mailed.

geo909 said:
You can see their reply and what they highlighted in the first three pages here:
http://i.imgur.com/qJvt0eW.jpg. One of the things they highlighted is
the changes to eligibility in the FSW program but then they also highlight the
work experience part. I don't really understand that.. You can see in the rest
of the pages of the link above that I justify 2392.5 hours of work during the last
5 years. Is there something wrong?
I don't see exactly why they highlighted the "work experience" part, but I see that your RA letter is missing the lead statement---that you were assisting a faculty member. As is, your application would be rejected at the CPP-Ottawa level if it was accepted by CIO. I would also advise changing the TA letter, though they usually are more relaxed about TA experience. Check http://goo.gl/47qIZF for examples of successful letters of reference.

Regards

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

First of all, thank you, TyrusX, snow_walker, asbereth, kg.jadu, and many others of you, for creating this thread, your pieces of advice, and coming back here even though you finished your "journey".

I'm about to send my package, and I have a question about Schedule A - Question 9 - Membership or association with organizations.
Probably many of us are IEEE members, so what did you write here, especially in the column 'Activities and/or positions held within organization'? The only reason I enrolled in is the discount that comes with the membership :) I do not participate in activities or have any position... Should I just type "NONE"?

Thanks,
Vasyok

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Hi Vasyok,

vasyok said:
I'm about to send my package, and I have a question about Schedule A - Question 9 - Membership or association with organizations.
Probably many of us are IEEE members, so what did you write here, especially in the column 'Activities and/or positions held within organization'? The only reason I enrolled in is the discount that comes with the membership :) I do not participate in activities or have any position... Should I just type "NONE"?
It does not hurt to include it. If the officer somehow knows you omitted it, it will look like a misrepresentation. Better safe than sorry.

-kg.jadu

Dani1982

Star Member
Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Nomination.....
26-09-2012
Got my 4th GCMS report and nothing has changed since the last one!!!

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
kg.jadu said:
Hi

Indeed. They asses an application based on the date it is received, not mailed.

I don't see exactly why they highlighted the "work experience" part, but I see that your RA letter is missing the lead statement---that you were assisting a faculty member. As is, your application would be rejected at the CPP-Ottawa level if it was accepted by CIO. I would also advise changing the TA letter, though they usually are more relaxed about TA experience. Check http://goo.gl/47qIZF for examples of successful letters of reference.

Regards
Many thanks for your feedback and examples of TA/RA letters; that helps.

EDIT: Another question, a quick one: I have completed my undergraduate degree in Greece, however I completed a full-time 2-year-long
Master's degree from a Canadian university in 2010. Do I need a Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Report for my undergraduate
degree? From the wording of the guide, I assume that I only need to submit my Master's degree from the Canadian university and thus
do need the ECA. Am I right?

Thanks in advance

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kg.jadu said:
Hi Vasyok,

It does not hurt to include it. If the officer somehow knows you omitted it, it will look like a misrepresentation. Better safe than sorry.

-kg.jadu
Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely say that I'm an IEEE member, but the question what to write in "activities/positions"... Are you an IEEE member, kg.jadu?

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
geo909 said:
EDIT: Another question, a quick one: I have completed my undergraduate degree in Greece, however I completed a full-time 2-year-long
Master's degree from a Canadian university in 2010. Do I need a Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Report for my undergraduate
degree? From the wording of the guide, I assume that I only need to submit my Master's degree from the Canadian university and thus
do need the ECA. Am I right?
I would say so, but please wait until someone more experienced replies---I do not know the new regulations that well.

vasyok said:
Thank's for your reply. I'll definitely say that I'm an IEEE member, but the question what to write in "activities/positions"... Are you an IEEE member, kg.jadu?
State "Member". Type: "Professional organization". (You might have also been a member of a "Student organization" or a "Trade union".) I was not a member of IEEE specifically, but of some similar professional organization.