Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
N_O said:
Thanks for sharing your letters!

I believe there is no need to have the magical word ASSIST in the TA letter, as no one does these duties for himself, he should be assisting a faculty member. While its existence in the RA letter is vital, the officer wouldn't know whether you do the research for yourself or you do ASSIST your professor if you don't mention that.
However, I am going to add it even in my TA reference letter to be in the safe side.
But I believe in all Canadian University post-graduate "Research Assistant" means you are assisting your supervisor to extract or analyze the data/information but at the same time we are doing this for our degree, i.e., we are doing this for ourself as well. I think to make it (RA) as a work experience they wants to see it as assisting profs instead of doing the project for your diploma. Anyway this is only my own opinion

NeverGiveUp

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
N_O said:
Thanks for sharing your letters!

I believe there is no need to have the magical word ASSIST in the TA letter, as no one does these duties for himself, he should be assisting a faculty member. While its existence in the RA letter is vital, the officer wouldn't know whether you do the research for yourself or you do ASSIST your professor if you don't mention that.
However, I am going to add it even in my TA reference letter to be in the safe side.
You're welcome. I really appreciate your kindness and patience for spending much time to inform people like me about the important issues which can save time, money and a lot more...

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
kaziahmmed said:
But I believe in all Canadian University post-graduate "Research Assistant" means you are assisting your supervisor to extract or analyze the data/information but at the same time we are doing this for our degree, i.e., we are doing this for ourself as well. I think to make it (RA) as a work experience they wants to see it as assisting profs instead of doing the project for your diploma. Anyway this is only my own opinion
You are right! But they need someone to emphasise that you are assisting a professor, they won't interpret the words, we have to say it explicitly!

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
NeverGiveUp said:
You're welcome. I really appreciate your kindness and patience for spending much time to inform people like me about the important issues which can save time, money and a lot more...
Thanks!

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Hi guys,

Has anything changed for Quebec students that want to apply for PR under this category? Do you know any applicant from Quebec who had got a positive response ??

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did my medical today. Also, I mailed the original police certificate and PhD info to them two days ago, which they have received it yesterday.
The medical was e-med. They gave me an e-medical referral letter which I should mail it to Ottawa.

MarMar20

Jul 5, 2012
Hi,
Should we send the e-medical referral letter to Ottawa? The doctor's secretary told me it's for my own record. I haven't sent it to Ottawa :(

beh467 said:
I did my medical today. Also, I mailed the original police certificate and PhD info to them two days ago, which they have received it yesterday.
The medical was e-med. They gave me an e-medical referral letter which I should mail it to Ottawa.

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
MarMar20 said:
Hi,
Should we send the e-medical referral letter to Ottawa? The doctor's secretary told me it's for my own record. I haven't sent it to Ottawa :(
No you don't have to send anything to ottawa after an e-medical...whatever they gave you is for your records to confirm that you have done the medicals..but the doctor's office will e-mail ottawa your file once they get all the examination results :D

MarMar20

Jul 5, 2012
Thanks anjuku :)

anjuku said:
No you don't have to send anything to ottawa after an e-medical...whatever they gave you is for your records to confirm that you have done the medicals..but the doctor's office will e-mail ottawa your file once they get all the examination results :D

Jun 20, 2013
Hello,
I have been recently seeing more and more rejections due to problems with the reference/work experience letter. I'm not quite sure what exactly are they looking for and what is the lead statement for research assistants. My employment reference letter included the following. As a lecture in my home country, my teaching load is like 15 class-hour, not 40 hours a week if only count teaching hours. Can someone please comment on whether this looks reasonable/acceptable? If not, what am I missing?

To whom it may concern,
This confirms that Ms. XXX, born on XXX, Passport No. XXX, was employed and worked as a full-time lecturer by College of International Studies, XXX University in XXX from July 2003 to July 2011. Ms. XXX ’s monthly income is about XXX.

Her duties include:
 Teaching 8 class-hour of English listening and speaking courses and 4 class-hour of English reading course per week(equivalent of College English 101 and 102).
 Teaching 3 class-hour of English public speaking course per week
 Conducting researches in the field of English public speaking and second language acquisition.
 Preparing scholarly publications and writing scientific journal papers. During his employment here, Mr. xxxx xxxx has published the following papers:
Should you have any questions, or require further information, please contact me either via E-mail (xxxx) or by phone xxxx.

sarsanballa

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Joyce_confuser said:
Hello,
I have been recently seeing more and more rejections due to problems with the reference/work experience letter. I'm not quite sure what exactly are they looking for and what is the lead statement for research assistants. My employment reference letter included the following. As a lecture in my home country, my teaching load is like 15 class-hour, not 40 hours a week if only count teaching hours. Can someone please comment on whether this looks reasonable/acceptable? If not, what am I missing?

To whom it may concern,
This confirms that Ms. XXX, born on XXX, Passport No. XXX, was employed and worked as a full-time lecturer by College of International Studies, XXX University in XXX from July 2003 to July 2011. Ms. XXX 's monthly income is about XXX.

Her duties include:
 Teaching 8 class-hour of English listening and speaking courses and 4 class-hour of English reading course per week(equivalent of College English 101 and 102).
 Conducting researches in the field of English public speaking and second language acquisition.
 Preparing scholarly publications and writing scientific journal papers. During his employment here, Mr. xxxx xxxx has published the following papers:
Should you have any questions, or require further information, please contact me either via E-mail (xxxx) or by phone xxxx.
If you have applied under NOC 4012 as research assistant/teaching assistant, then you are missing the following lead statement.
"Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors, community college and CEGEP teachers and other faculty members in teaching and research activities at universities and colleges.

Then it is highly possible that the case officer will find it unacceptable. If you didn't apply under NOC 4012, then you should check the lead statement description of the NOC which you have chosen.

bioleaching

Jun 27, 2012
NeverGiveUp said:
Guys, I got my GCMS notes today. It contains a serious warning for those who hesitate to update their reference letters.
According to these notes, an officer assessed my application against selection factor (in mid-April) and made the following recommendation.

“I have analyzed this application against the selection criteria for FSW and make the following recommendation:
Education: 25 points
Language: 16
No adaptability points for two years of PhD study.
PA claims following work experiences:
1- RA/TA (two years) at the University of ***. PA submitted reference letters which listed duties that do not match the lead statement and substantial number of main duties...
2- *** Engineer (4 years) at **** company. PA submitted reference letters which listed duties that do not match the lead statement and substantial number of main duties... ( a bit more details)
No other work experience claimed. PA has an equivalent 2 months of work experience (he accepted my TA not RA), less than 1 year=0 points.

Total points: 51 (Applicant does not appear to meet...)"

I sent them additional letters of reference providing more details for my both work experiences in May (will share them later). I think I was very lucky to find this forum. I myself am surprised, I got medical request a couple of days ago, but still in doubt if I really passed the selection factor or not!?
Hey buddy,
A month ago, I applied for GCMS note too(May 19).
I 've received an email which said:
Your temporary request tracking number is ..... After your request has been registered, a new number will be assigned to your request.
But I did not get any thing after.
Should I do something that I did not? Do you know how the procedure is?

Thanks in advance.

NeverGiveUp

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
bioleaching said:
Hey buddy,
Your temporary request tracking number is ..... After your request has been registered, a new number will be assigned to your request.

Thanks in advance.
I got the same email after submitting my request. I think you don't need to do anything but wait, as it takes a bit longer for some people, but the average time is about 3-4 weeks. I ordered mine on May 22 and I got it today. I believe you'll get yours in a few days.

Good luck with your application.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
kaziahmmed said:
We all are very grateful to Asbereth who is still sharing his experience and giving informative advices with his best. Remember he is the only member (unfortunately) who is still with the forum even after getting his PR. I deeply understand all of us are very much involved in our professional life and don't get enough time to waste but I would earnestly request the successful applicants to visit the forum once in a while, at least once in a week (as long as possible).
I told TyrusX once that, if I got my PR, then I would try to hang around the forum for as long as I can :) On the reverse, I also told him that, if my application got rejected (this was back in January when a lot of January 2012 applicants got rejected due to job description issues), then I would just disappear without a trace. To this date, I'm still feeling really grateful that I did not have yet to disappear without a trace :)

NeverGiveUp said:
I got the same email after submitting my request. I think you don't need to do anything but wait, as it takes a bit longer for some people, but the average time is about 3-4 weeks. I ordered mine on May 22 and I got it today. I believe you'll get yours in a few days.

Good luck with your application.
If you order your GCMS notes after business hours (I'm assuming 4 PM Ottawa time), then it will be processed the next business day (so Friday at 4:30 PM would probably the worst time to make the request).

Also, since they give you a tracking number after every request, you can send an email to inquire if there is anything wrong with the request. Unlike CPP-Ottawa, the ATIP department is usually pretty responsive (they usually respond back to you in 2 or 3 days). I suggest that if you are within 2 days from the due date, send them an email, and ask them if your notes are still on schedule to be released by the due date.

Another thing I found out from my experiment with GCMS request is that, sometimes, if you have overlapping requests (let's say you order one set on the 1st of the month, then you order another set at the 15th, before even the first one gets released), they may treat your second request as a duplicate request, and may not honor it. One way around it (to make them process your request anyway) is to request it under the Access to Information Act, since each payment and receipt will be associated to only a single request. That is, off course, if you don't mind spending the 5 bucks.

Joyce_confuser said:
Her duties include:
Hi Joyce_confuser,

I'm assuming you specified NOC 4021 for your lecturer work experience? Check the following link to see if your duties match the duties and lead statement prescribed by the HRSDC website

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/Profile.aspx?val=4&val1=4021

I would say that your duties contain at least the lead statement of NOC 4021, which is as follows

This unit group includes instructors who teach applied arts, academic, technical and vocational subjects to students at community colleges, CEGEPs, agricultural colleges, technical and vocational institutes, language schools and other college level schools.
but your other duties match more closely with what researchers (NOC 4012) usually do. I frankly do not know how a visa officer would take it. Did you include TA/RA experience (NOC 4012) with your application? As sarsanballa said, if you did, it's probably not a bad idea to supplement your work experience letter with duties and lead statement matching those described in the HRSDC website for NOC 4012.

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/QuickSearch.aspx?val65=4012

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
bioleaching said:
Hey buddy,

Thanks in advance.
It would be so great, if u could get your GCMS by now since we have applied almost at the same time :). I have ordered one today, I was waiting till the due date of my file assignment. Hopefully will get some news by next one month and just trying to think positive.