+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Pain

Jun 6, 2013
Hello there,
I am new to forum.
I 've got some Questions , if anyone know about applying under Federal Skilled Worker under PhD student program.
1.Does it mean you have to be in Canada studying PhD?
2.Does the applicant have to finish Phd degree before he can get Permanant Residence?
3.Work experience requirements- Can that be in any Occupation or must be from in a single NOC 0, A or B occupation.
4. If experience must be from in a single NOC 0, A or B occupation, why would someone apply under PhD program while he/she can apply under 1st catagory i.e. Eligible Occupations?
5. Can we abandon PhD, one becme PR?

Thanks !

chakri264 said:
Yeah.You have to claim the occupation in which you have more years of experience (which I believe 4021 and if it is true...Yes, you need to write 4021 in that box 12a of schedule-3). However, under section 12b you need to mention your current occupation first which is 4012. So you will have to write your RA/TA experience details first followed by your work experience as a lecturer from India.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Pain said:
Hello there,

I 've got some Questions , if anyone know about applying under Federal Skilled Worker under PhD student program.
2.Does the applicant have to finish Phd degree before he can get Permanant Residence?
3.Work experience requirements- Can that be in any Occupation or must be from in a single NOC 0, A or B occupation.
4. If experience must be from in a single NOC 0, A or B occupation, why would someone apply under PhD program while he/she can apply under 1st catagory i.e. Eligible Occupations?

Thanks !
1. Yes.

2. No. Must have completed atleast 2 years in the program and be in good academic standing.

4. The PhD category makes one eligible to apply under the FSW program and applicants are governed by the rules and regulations of this program. You could as well apply under the eligible occupations if you had past experience in one of those fields.

5. The PER and PR are granted on the basis of your enrollment in or completion of the program. Abandoning a PhD once a PR is akin to defrauding CIC and the Canadian government. Your PR status could be revoked if this comes to light. Why would you want to do this after spending two years in the program??? . When it comes to immigration you want to be honest and play by the rules

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
Pain said:
Hello there,
I am new to forum.

Thanks !
My answers are almost same as S_GOVIND said but in my way. Have no clue why he skipped answering question#3.

1. To apply under PhD stream either you must have finished 2 years of study towards PhD or PhD degree is obtained within last one year prior to the date of filing application. If you are applying after 2 years of study towards PhD obviously you are in Canada. If you are applying after finishing PhD you can be in Canada or from home country but remember it should be with in 12 months after finishing PhD.

2.As I answered under question#1, you can apply after finishing 2 years of study towards PhD. No need to finish the degree.

3. It should be from O,A or B. Not all.

4. If you have past experience in a job that falls under NOC-O, A or B you can apply under FSW category 1. The cap system under category-1 fills rapid and there are only 5000 applications for all 24 occupations. But for PhD stream there are 1000 applications alone.

5. That is a kind of cheating. You are not supposed to do it intentionally unless it is happened when the situations are out of control cause of some mishaps.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Pain said:
Hello there,

Thanks !
Man you better to read the website, it seems like pretty fundamental questions which you suppose to know by yourself from the application guide or operating manual. Forum is just for critical issues which ppl are gathering from their good and bad experience.

zhang69y

Nov 20, 2012
Hi,

Few minitues ago, I just got an email from CIC, they said I did not achieve the minimum points to apply the imigration under PhD stream because I do not have enough working experience. This means I did not pass the PER. I want to know will they send back the materials if I did not pass the PER, and will they deduct the application fee? Thanks

Polaad56

Jun 17, 2013
A question:

I have submitted my application a week ago, and the only way I know the application has arrive is through Canada Post tracking service. Now, I want to send my police certificate and six months Bank statement, how do I do that? How would they identify that it is my police certificate? Should I have to write my Client ID Number? Or Do I just have to send it to the main office?

Thanks,

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Polaad56 said:
A question:

I have submitted my application a week ago, and the only way I know the application has arrive is through Canada Post tracking service. Now, I want to send my police certificate and six months Bank statement, how do I do that? How would they identify that it is my police certificate? Should I have to write my Client ID Number? Or Do I just have to send it to the main office?

Thanks,
Wait until you get the PER, then you can send all the documents to the visa office you chose.

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
I received my GCMS today. I got 67 points from Sydney. They gave me 5 adaptability points for previous study in Canada, but not 5 point for spouse's education (he is PhD student as well and we had included a letter from college of Graduate for him too in addition to his Bachelor's and Master's degree). It is ironic that somewhere else in my notes under his name it is written (# of years of education:18). It seems that they do this intentional not by mistake as they didn't award N_O and other guys these points for spouse's education. It seems that because they don't verify the spouse's credentials they don't give these points and ask Ottawa to do so. In my notes it is mentioned that "if any additional adaptability points are indicated, information on file not verified. Applicant appears to have 67 or more points on selection grid to visa office for further assessment".

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Parkinson said:
I received my GCMS today. I got 67 points from Sydney. They gave me 5 adaptability points for previous study in Canada, but not 5 point for spouse's education (he is PhD student as well and we had included a letter from college of Graduate for him too in addition to his Bachelor's and Master's degree). It is ironic that somewhere else in my notes under his name it is written (# of years of education:18). It seems that they do this intentional not by mistake as they didn't award N_O and other guys these points for spouse's education. It seems that because they don't verify the spouse's credentials they don't give these points and ask Ottawa to do so. In my notes it is mentioned that "if any additional adaptability points are indicated, information on file not verified. Applicant appears to have 67 or more points on selection grid to visa office for further assessment".
Did you have a degree from Canada? Or they gave you 5 points for the 2 years of PhD?
I think your assumption is true, they wait for Ottawa to give those points although they gave them to many applicants before!

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
N_O said:
Did you have a degree from Canada? Or they gave you 5 points for the 2 years of PhD?
I think your assumption is true, they wait for Ottawa to give those points although they gave them to many applicants before!
No, we don't have a degree from Canada. We claimed those points for both of us for two years of PhD. It's frustrating...

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Parkinson said:
No, we don't have a degree from Canada. We claimed those points for both of us for two years of PhD. It's frustrating...
I imagine they calculate the applicants points without adding the adaptability points, if s/he exceeded the 67 then they would stop adding more points, if not they would add some of those adaptability points and the rest is the job of Ottawa! Nevertheless, many applicants got all the adaptability points in the CIO level, they may change the process!
I think Ottawa will give you the spouse's education points and remove the previous study points when they process the application again.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
zhang69y said:
Few minitues ago, I just got an email from CIC, they said I did not achieve the minimum points to apply the imigration under PhD stream because I do not have enough working experience. This means I did not pass the PER. I want to know will they send back the materials if I did not pass the PER, and will they deduct the application fee? Thanks
Hi zhang69y, I'm sorry for your rejection.

I'm assuming that your NER was from Sydney, right? Also, when did you apply? Did you apply under the new point system (post May 4 2013)?

N_O said:
I imagine they calculate the applicants points without adding the adaptability points, if s/he exceeded the 67 then they stop adding more points, if not they'll add some of those adaptability points and the rest is the job of Ottawa! Nevertheless, many applicants got all the adaptability points in the CIO level, they may change the process!
I think Ottawa will give you the spouse's education points and remove the previous study points when they process the application again.
I don't know why the CIO still awarded the five adaptability points for two years of PhD. It doesn't make any sense. There have been rejections after rejections due to lacking these five points (if you applied before May 4 2013), why the disconnect? Also, the CIO did not award you 5 points for your Canadian son, right? I think this is exactly what is meant by 'appear to have 67 or more points', that is, the CIO already awarded more than 67 points, and they're washing their hands off the files...

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Hey Guys, I've been crazy busy this last 2 months. I am finally going abroad and back next week and I have not landed yet.
Here is the funny part, I will do my landing part in Montreal, so let's see how that will go. It seems that there is no real problem
because I'm no actually settling there. I will let you know when I'm back and how smooth it went.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
asbereth said:
I think this is exactly what is meant by 'appear to have 67 or more points', that is, the CIO already awarded more than 67 points, and they're washing their hands off the files...
I totally agree!
As expected, Ottawa guys haven't replied to my inquiry about those adaptability points!

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
N_O said:
I totally agree!
As expected, Ottawa guys haven't replied to my inquiry about those adaptability points!
Even about your kid?

TyrusX said:
Hey Guys, I've been crazy busy this last 2 months. I am finally going abroad and back next week and I have not landed yet.
Here is the funny part, I will do my landing part in Montreal, so let's see how that will go. It seems that there is no real problem
because I'm no actually settling there. I will let you know when I'm back and how smooth it went.
Will it be hard to land anywhere else but on Quebec though? Or do you have a connecting flight right after landing there? I wonder if the landing facility in Montreal has only been trained to deal with QSW immigrants. Make sure you double check.