21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
chakri264 said:
Yes you can send an updated reference letter. If you received your file number already you can send your updated reference letter by mail or email to CPC-Ottawa quoting your file number and details. Make sure you have the word "assist" clearly mentioned in your letter. Also make sure to mention that this letter is in support of the earlier letter dated XX-XX-XXXX. It should be fine.
Thanks for your clarification.

I haven't received my file number yet. Based on your response, I assume that I must have the file number to send the updated letter. How long does it normally take to receive it? And I'll receive the file number by email, right?

Thanks

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
This paragraph is a part of my reference letter which details on my hours as RA: (I excluded the rest to save your time)

"Mr. xxx has been working as a Graduate Research Assistant under my supervision since he joined my research group in September 2011 as a Ph.D. student. Since then, Mr. xxx has worked at least 35hrs/week from September to April, and at least 40hrs/week from May to August, in each year. During this period, he has worked 15hrs/week toward his thesis and 20 to 25hrs/week as a Graduate Research Assistant. Based on that, his total work experience accumulated as a RA up to now is at least 2200 hours."

Is that sufficient enough or I have to elaborate more on hours?

Thanks

CEC12

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
pyzdfr said:
I submitted my application about 1.5 month ago and my reference letter was saying that I have worked 40hrs/week. However, I am very concerned about my reference letter and I'd like to send them an updated letter to distinguish work done toward thesis/RA. Would you please let me know whether it is possible to send an updated reference letter? and how?

Thank you all so much.
Its very suspicious for the officer if the number of hrs is 40. Most of successful cases I have seen just claimed 20-25 hrs per week. I think you have to make it more logic.

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
CEC12 said:
Its very suspicious for the officer if the number of hrs is 40. Most of successful cases I have seen just claimed 20-25 hrs per week. I think you have to make it more logic.
I strongly agree this. But if you clarify how you spent that 40 hours (say 15 hours for your project and 25 hours as RA) thats not a problem to have that figure "40" in the letter, I guess.

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
pyzdfr said:
This paragraph is a part of my reference letter which details on my hours as RA: (I excluded the rest to save your time)

"Mr. xxx has been working as a Graduate Research Assistant under my supervision since he joined my research group in September 2011 as a Ph.D. student. Since then, Mr. xxx has worked at least 35hrs/week from September to April, and at least 40hrs/week from May to August, in each year. During this period, he has worked 15hrs/week toward his thesis and 20 to 25hrs/week as a Graduate Research Assistant. Based on that, his total work experience accumulated as a RA up to now is at least 2200 hours."

Is that sufficient enough or I have to elaborate more on hours?

Thanks
The letter looks okay to me since you clarified that 15 hours out of 40 is towards your own project and 25 hours is for other projects as RA. Just a reminder that you have to include "assist" in the lead statement and substantial number of duties matching NOC-4012 in the body of the letter.

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
Some key points for NOC code 4012:

1. Make sure your ref. letter is dated and is on the University letterhead.

2. You should have at least 1 year continuous full time (30 hours/ week) or equivalent continuous part time ( 1560 hours ) work experience.

3. Make sure that your periods of works are in "dd/mm/yy to dd/mm/yy" format and there is not even 1 day gap between them for at least 1 year.

4. You should include the lead statement (assist professor ... in research activities...) in your RA ref. letter, also a substantial number (almost all) of the RA main duties and these two terms: "assist professor in data analysis..." and "assist professor in the preparation of journal article or papers..." to be safe.

5. Add details (and some additional duties if applicable) so that your duties dose not look like a copy-paste of the actions described under the NOC code.

6. Your RA working hours should be reasonable because you are a PhD student at the same time.

CEC12

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
CEC12 said:
Hi All,
I applied already under FSW program - PhD stream. I claimed one year Full Time Electrical Design Engineer in a Consultation Company and one year as a research assistant in Canada. I attached the following Ref letter:

This is to confirm that xxx was working for xxx as a full time Electrical Design Engineer. xxx was working 42 hours per week since starting his employment on xx till xx (one year).
As and Electrical Design Engineer, xxx has contributed in the desgin of the electrical installations for major projects in compliance with international standards. His main responsibilities and job duties were as following:
- Design the interior/exterior lighting systems for residential or commercial projects using compute software and simulations.
- Design the electrical outlet system for general loading applications.
- Design the electrical outlets for mechanical and communication installations and coordinate with other departments to assure the efficient operation.
- Determine the medium and low voltage cables sizing and routing.
- Design of the single-line-diagram for power panel boards.
- Conduct the short circuit, voltage drop, and load-flow calculations.
- Prepare the schematics, layouts and drawings for electrical systems and installations.
- Prepare and itemize the electrical materials and parts in the form of a bill of quantities.

xxx
signature, stamp, contacts, etc.

Also, I attached a complimentary letter from the HR indicating the payments and annual benefits.

I am wondering if this letter should work or not? it is not typically as the NOC duties but most of these duties falls under "Design electrical and electronic circuits, components, systems and equipment." Is it OK??

one more thing, I put NOC 2133 as the main job but NOC 4012 is in the application as well. If the Electrical engineer letter is not that good can I ask CIC to reconsider NOC 4012 as the main job in my application?? It is not easy at all to reissue a letter from my previous employer to update the job duties.
Any response?

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
chakri264 said:
I strongly agree this. But if you clarify how you spent that 40 hours (say 15 hours for your project and 25 hours as RA) thats not a problem to have that figure "40" in the letter, I guess.

I have a question. Between 25 hours and 30 hours, there are only 5 hrs differences which means one more hour work per day. When a researcher can claim 30 hours per week and get 2 more point (for two years experience), why does she/he claim for 20 or 25 hours?
I know some of my friends got PR by claiming for 40 hours for RA + 10 hours for TA.
Working 30 hours as RA is not something impossible.
Please share your ideas.

haithy

Jan 4, 2013
Melhem1 said:
Congratulations... did you have the update on eCas stating that cic received your medical result? if yes, when was it posted?

Thanks
no, the ecas still says "We started processing your application on April 16, 2014"
I guess this thing is unreliable

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
CEC12 said:
Any response?
To decide if your letter is good or not you should check if you have the lead statement for your NOC code explicitly and also a substantial number of main duties (around 80% of them) in your ref. letter. The lead statement for your NOC code is "design, plan, research, evaluate and test electrical and electronic equipment and systems".
If your letter is not good you can send an updated ref. letter.
Is your work experience from your home country? Experiences in this forum has shown that the chance of a work experience from your home country being accepted by CIC is low unless it is very solid and you have very strong supporting documents. The chance of RA work experience with a solid ref. letter and good supporting docs is higher.
I'm not sure about changing the main NOC code, but I think that you probably can change it by sending an email asking for the change and attaching the updated form. Then, order GCMS notes to make sure it is changed. You can also ask this question from their call center.

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
Viva2014 said:
I have a question. Between 25 hours and 30 hours, there are only 5 hrs differences which means one more hour work per day. When a researcher can claim 30 hours per week and get 2 more point (for two years experience), why does she/he claim for 20 or 25 hours?
I know some of my friends got PR by claiming for 40 hours for RA + 10 hours for TA.
Working 30 hours as RA is not something impossible.
Please share your ideas.
Good point. Applicants used to claim usually 20-25 hours for RA before May 2013 when the rules changed. The full time work experience was 40 hours before May 2013 not 30 hours. If you need the points, you can risk and claim 30 hours RA with a solid ref. letter (and maybe 10-15 hours for your thesis). But, if you don't need the points, 15-20 hours is more reasonable than 25 hours.

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
pyzdfr said:
Thanks for your clarification.

I haven't received my file number yet. Based on your response, I assume that I must have the file number to send the updated letter. How long does it normally take to receive it? And I'll receive the file number by email, right?

Thanks
If Sydney accept your application, you will receive an email from Sydney (PER) and your file number is in it. It usually takes between 2 weeks to 3 months (maximum).

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
haithy said:
I have received the passport request last night. it worth noting that my medical results were sent to Ottawa on May,23rd
best of luck to all applicants
Congratulations! Was the security "started" in your GCMS?

CEC12

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Parkinson said:
To decide if your letter is good or not you should check if you have the lead statement for your NOC code explicitly and also a substantial number of main duties (around 80% of them) in your ref. letter. The lead statement for your NOC code is "design, plan, research, evaluate and test electrical and electronic equipment and systems".
If your letter is not good you can send an updated ref. letter.
Is your work experience from your home country? Experiences in this forum has shown that the chance of a work experience from your home country being accepted by CIC is low unless it is very solid and you have very strong supporting documents. The chance of RA work experience with a solid ref. letter and good supporting docs is higher.
I'm not sure about changing the main NOC code, but I think that you probably can change it by sending an email asking for the change and attaching the updated form. Then, order GCMS notes to make sure it is changed. You can also ask this question from their call center.
Thanks for the reply. When I compare the letter and NOC requirement I don't feel comfort. Duties are not that similar.
I sent to CIC to ask if I can exchange the main occupation. Updating the letter is not that easy for me, unfortunately.

haithy

Jan 4, 2013
Parkinson said:
Congratulations! Was the security "started" in your GCMS?
I didnt order a GCMS, the date my medical results at was confirmed by my physician. just wanted to let you guys know that Ottawa are working fast these days