Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
maytheflower said:
Anyone asked about the possibility to pay tuition fee as local student in Quebec after getting PER?
Hi

As far as I know, there is no respite from fees even after PER letter as it is not a Quebec nomination. If you are pre jan 2012 PhD candidate, you should be grandfathered by the university( depending upon the university), else the academic unit would cover your fees (depending upon size of the department, it could be automatically granted or have an internal competition).

Applicants from Quebec are few and I think no one has thought of probing into it. I think it might be worth investigating, but I am not very hopeful. As far I know, when you are granted CSQ, Quebec issues you the Quebec health card even when the file is in the federal phase. That's the only thing I have heard so far. I have not heard anything about day care etc. Though I know an international couple whose son was born in Quebec and is denied healthcare even though he is a canadian citizen and a Quebec resident.

I have found many inconsistencies in rules and depends upon the officer. With above scenarios, please make a guess :eek:.

Please share your experience if you consult the student section regarding this matter.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
S.David said:
I have no problem in staying in Quebec, and I am thinking of this option. But I need to strengthen myself in French first. I know some basics, but I need more I guess. For PEQ, I guess I need to have 6 months or less to be graduated to be eligible under this program, don't I?

Thanks
Yes you are right, you should be within 6 months of graduation and have intermediate level french (B1) unless you are pursuing your degree in a french university like UQAM or UdeM for PEQ. People still go for CSQ route if they dont have B1 in TEFaQ test. I am waiting for the things to take shape under this stream or else I will open a CSQ/PEQ file too. Now its no use as they might issue it but having two files at federal wont be a good idea. You have to cancel one.

Things could be very simple depending upon your luck. I would definitely brush up french a lot. They don't take interviews anymore (only selected few). Decision is made on the language certificates attached. So TEFaQ is a must now and a booming business. Finding dates is difficult and even then they might make you short on B1 by 1-2 points. So beware. Its an easy test if you genuinely know french but still.

I don't want to sound negative but there are tons of inconsistencies in rules. So pad up as much as you can.

Still fingers crossed as dont know whats gonna happen to applicants from Quebec under PhD stream.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Hey Asbereth/ Tyrus

There are aster ix mark on some of the members on the tracker, something significant?? Just wondering. Aster ix makes me nervous :D ;D. LOL

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Stuck In Quebec said:
Hey Asbereth/ Tyrus

There are aster ix mark on some of the members on the tracker, something significant?? Just wondering. Aster ix makes me nervous :D ;D. LOL
yes. If you scroll all the way to the right you are going to see what they mean:
* re-application (NER before)
** NER DUE to work XP
*** NER reverted to PER
! PER reverted to NER
+ Landed :D

hooman2012

Nov 12, 2012
Re: How to calculate the points for "adaptability"?

goldon said:
Oh, that's bad news.

I calculated my points based on the instruction from CIC website. without adaptability, i only have 57 points. so I need 10 points from
adaptability.
Are you PhD student?
If you are a PhD student and you are applying under PhD stream probably this may be close to your points:

your age: (assuming that you are between 21 and 39) :10
your Degree (you are PhD student thus you have masters degree): 25
your English (IELTS) : 16 . if your mark is not high enough take another test
you must have atleast one year work experience : 15
your wife (if she has at least bachelor degree ): 5

10+25+16+15+5=71

How did you calculate that you got 57?!!!!

S.David

Nov 19, 2012
Stuck In Quebec said:
Yes you are right, you should be within 6 months of graduation and have intermediate level french (B1) unless you are pursuing your degree in a french university like UQAM or UdeM for PEQ. People still go for CSQ route if they dont have B1 in TEFaQ test. I am waiting for the things to take shape under this stream or else I will open a CSQ/PEQ file too. Now its no use as they might issue it but having two files at federal wont be a good idea. You have to cancel one.

Things could be very simple depending upon your luck. I would definitely brush up french a lot. They don't take interviews anymore (only selected few). Decision is made on the language certificates attached. So TEFaQ is a must now and a booming business. Finding dates is difficult and even then they might make you short on B1 by 1-2 points. So beware. Its an easy test if you genuinely know french but still.

I don't want to sound negative but there are tons of inconsistencies in rules. So pad up as much as you can.

Still fingers crossed as dont know whats gonna happen to applicants from Quebec under PhD stream.
Yesterday I attended a session at Concordia University, and the presenter said an alternative to French official exams is to take an intermediate level French course at Universities or Colleges recognized by the government of Quebec. Is that so?

Who will make me short by 1-2 points to B1? Is B1 a required to CSQ under regular selection criterion? It is written that: Intermediate level in Oral French is required. Does intermediate mean B1 here?

Another question, if I got the CSQ, will I get my PR automatically from the Federal, or not necessarily?

Thanks

S.David

Nov 19, 2012
Another question, since I am thinking seriously to apply for CSQ, I need to know how long it will take (on average) from time I apply until I get my PR, if everything is OK? Since I may need extra 4 months or so to enhance my French, and I am already at the end of my second year in PhD.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
S.David said:
Another question, since I am thinking seriously to apply for CSQ, I need to know how long it will take (on average) from time I apply until I get my PR, if everything is OK? Since I may need extra 4 months or so to enhance my French, and I am already at the end of my second year in PhD.
Dude, we can't predict the future. It should be between 12 and 18/20 months. You can get your PR Visa and the land only close to its expiration date if you need more time too.

S.David

Nov 19, 2012
TyrusX said:
Dude, we can't predict the future. It should be between 12 and 18/20 months. You can get your PR Visa and the land only close to its expiration date if you need more time too.
I meant from applying to CSQ until I get the PR. What is landing?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
S.David said:
My fear is: if you apply for CSQ you may be indicating your have intentions of living in Quebec. They may see this in a bad light. I don't know about the CSQ, but I suppose it adds about 6 months time to your applications. But rules are changing and things are supposed to go faster starting next year.

sarsanballa

Star Member
Mar 6, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
S.David said:
Hey dude, no one knows exactly how long it will take to get PR after your application to CSQ, and landing means you put yourself on the Canadian soil with permanent resident status. hope this helps. :)

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. ;D
Stuck In Quebec said:
Hi

As far as I know, there is no respite from fees even after PER letter as it is not a Quebec nomination. If you are pre jan 2012 PhD candidate, you should be grandfathered by the university( depending upon the university), else the academic unit would cover your fees (depending upon size of the department, it could be automatically granted or have an internal competition).

Applicants from Quebec are few and I think no one has thought of probing into it. I think it might be worth investigating, but I am not very hopeful. As far I know, when you are granted CSQ, Quebec issues you the Quebec health card even when the file is in the federal phase. That's the only thing I have heard so far. I have not heard anything about day care etc. Though I know an international couple whose son was born in Quebec and is denied healthcare even though he is a canadian citizen and a Quebec resident.

I have found many inconsistencies in rules and depends upon the officer. With above scenarios, please make a guess :eek:.

Please share your experience if you consult the student section regarding this matter.

S.David

Nov 19, 2012
TyrusX said:
My fear is: if you apply for CSQ you may be indicating your have intentions of living in Quebec. They may see this in a bad light. I don't know about the CSQ, but I suppose it adds about 6 months time to your applications. But rules are changing and things are supposed to go faster starting next year.
I will apply for CSQ with the intention to settle in Quebec. If it is rejected, I will apply under the PhD stream with my CSQ rejection as a proof I will not settle in Quebec. Does that sound logical?

And what I meant is that in immigration Quebec they say attach your PR aaplication with CSQ application and we will stamp it with date of receiving the CSQ application. If you get the CSQ the PR application will be returned to you with the CSQ. This is done for priorities. Does that mean if my PR application is stamped by Quebec immigration, its processing time will be shorter in the Federal?

S.David

Nov 19, 2012
sarsanballa said:
Hey dude, no one knows exactly how long it will take to get PR after your application to CSQ, and landing means you put yourself on the Canadian soil with permanent resident status. hope this helps. :)
Dude, I didn't say what is the exact time, but rather I said "on average".

So, since I am already at Canada, once I get the PR (hopefully) I will be landing automatically, right?

Thanks