+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone share the timeline or how long it took to sponsor a parent

easylover

Jun 18, 2009
can folks on the forum sponsoring parents share how long the process is taking them? I heard this can be a long process close to almost 4 years, is this true?

easylover said:
can folks on the forum sponsoring parents share how long the process is taking them? I heard this can be a long process close to almost 4 years, is this true?
Yes, unfortunately it's true. According to CIC's website, as of today it can take up to 31 months to process sponsorship documents via Mississauga CPC http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp After the sponsorship process the docs will be reviewed by the Canadian Visa office and they have they own time frames. It is important to know that one's parents, while in the immigration process, are allowed now to visit their sponsors in Canada and stay here as temporary residents.

easylover

Jun 18, 2009
Thanks., however I have heard that a visa can not be issued twice with in a year, apparently the visitor once out of Canada has to wait for about a year before applying for another visa to visit again, is this true?

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
I applied mid June 2007 for sponsorship and until today Nothing yet.
Ecas show that they're processing applications RECEIVED up to May 24, 2007.

AFter that, it should be 2-3 months until My parents can apply from home country.
So about 5 years or more by the time they immigrate here.

Tine

Mar 1, 2010
Wow... that is a long time. My parents would love to move here in a few years but considering how long it takes for the paperwork to go through, I guess we better get started sooner than later!

I'd appreciate it if anyone could answer the previous questions about the temporary resident visa. Can you only get one and then have to wait for another year?

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can view individual processing times on trackitt: http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/family-class

agj

Mar 1, 2010
Hi Immigration Expert,
I am planning to go to Canada and be sponsored by my daughter. Since my immigration papers will be done "in Canada" and I could wait for it there, what papers or documents do I need to bring? Remember, I cannot go home already to retrieve those documents for submission. Thanks.
AGJ

Mar 7, 2010
hi agj, i don't want to discourage you but family class sponsorship is a 2 step process.

step 1. daughter will need to apply to be a sponsor
step 2. you will need to apply for pr in your home country once daughter is approved to sponsor.

Step 1 takes average of 33 months right now. step 2 takes approximately 24 months average worldwide. so that is about 5 years you need to wait. i think they will allow you to come and visit while sponsorship application is in process but i don't know about waiting for it here the whole period. you will definitely need to go back and get your required documents.

agj said:
Hi Immigration Expert,
I am planning to go to Canada and be sponsored by my daughter. Since my immigration papers will be done "in Canada" and I could wait for it there, what papers or documents do I need to bring? Remember, I cannot go home already to retrieve those documents for submission. Thanks.
AGJ

easylover

Jun 18, 2009
How long can parents stay as temporary residents?
How often can parents apply to visit in the year?
Does any one know about Multiple Entry visas? how do they work? Do they allow you to visit from any country or just from the same country?
How many entries do you get?

Immigration Expert said:
Yes, unfortunately it's true. According to CIC's website, as of today it can take up to 31 months to process sponsorship documents via Mississauga CPC http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp After the sponsorship process the docs will be reviewed by the Canadian Visa office and they have they own time frames. It is important to know that one's parents, while in the immigration process, are allowed now to visit their sponsors in Canada and stay here as temporary residents.

I

iarblue

Anyone can apply for an extension,and also need to apply for a visitors visa(except visa exempt)but you still need to prove many things before you will be given entry into the country.You best check out visiting Canada. or call CIC for a definate answer.
People dont realize you just cant fly to a country get here go to customs and say im coming to visit my children/spouse or what ever you need to apply.Even visa exempt countries cant come here stay for as long as they want.The immigration will stamp your passport to the legnth they think you need to visit.Max 6 months then you need to apply for a extension.
Sponsoring parents is no different.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
4 years sound short,
It took my sponsorship application a full 35 months, from June 2007 until may 2010 to be approved.

Then it will take another 2 years minimum for Singapore visa office to process PR application for my dad.