+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone received an interest letter from ON only having an Advanced Diploma?

AB081989

Oct 31, 2016
Hi guys,

I received a letter of interest from Ontario back in Feb 2016 - submitted all my paperwork at the end of March, and had a phone interview with an immigration officer at the end of June. He congratulated me, and said I would hear from them soon. He sent my case to be reviewed by a senior immigration officer for a final decision so I thought everything was OK.

I just received a letter last Thursday that I need to submit proof of a Bachelor's degree asap, which I do not have. They are giving me 30 days to respond.

Has anyone have had an experience like this? Why would they send me an interest letter if they knew from the very beginning from my express entry profile that I only had an advanced diploma? I would have saved $1500.00 if they had mentioned from the start that I needed a Bachelors.

Let me know if you know of any exceptions that they might do??? Maybe there are exceptions reason why they sent me the interest letter? I have been in Ontario since I was 18 years old, and my points from my express entry profile are not enough without the PNP points...

Thanks guys,

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
They have said they sent some PT notifications by mistake, and it is up to the candidate to make sure they meet the OINP requirements. I have not come across any exceptions yet.

all_iz_well

Dec 17, 2014
It clearly indicates in OINP website and also in the application guideline that you need a bachelors degree to qualify for the Human Capital Stream.

Yes, OINP made a mistake by issuing you a LOI, but it was also your responsibility to double check with them before cutting that $1500 draft.

Suggestions:

1. Talk to a lawyer to help you get the benifit of doubt.
2. Talk to your local MP and ask for support.
3. Write an explanation letter(or by lawyer) explaining that it was an honest mistake and ask them to consider it as a exception.

Good Luck, man.

Keep us updated.

AB081989

Oct 31, 2016
Yes that's what I am doing. Also they interviewed me over the phone and never told me I was not gonna be able to get in. They actually congratulated me for my job and said everything looked great. I was super happy until I received a letter last week saying that I had to prove I have a bachelors. I thought they were doing an exemption due to the amount of time I have been in Canada, since I was 18 - almost 9 years. My lawyer will fight it with using humanitarian causes as well as me been mislead by the interviewer. I will def keep you posted.