+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone learnt French to get more points express entry?

tverma83

Jun 8, 2019
I learned French from scratch for a year and got B2 in two sections and C1 in the other two in the TEF test.

Unless your level is B2 or higher your results won't be high enough to boost your CRS considerably.
Hi DelPiero07, can you please share how did you go about learning french? Did you learn it through books on your own or did you join any coaching center etc. Any guidance on the above will be really helpful, as I am in the same boat

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi DelPiero07, can you please share how did you go about learning french? Did you learn it through books on your own or did you join any coaching center etc. Any guidance on the above will be really helpful, as I am in the same boat
I took classes with a teacher from Montreal couple days per week, we used the material taught by the French Alliance to get from A1 to B2 level. I used other materials like French movies, French books, duolingo, youtube on my spare time. To prepare for the TEF I simply practiced with the only two books that are available.

Philips49

Star Member
Jun 12, 2019
I learned French from scratch for a year and got B2 in two sections and C1 in the other two in the TEF test.

Unless your level is B2 or higher your results won't be high enough to boost your CRS considerably.
I HAVE 8 7 7.5 7 in IELTS , what if I write TEF but don’t do very well will I earn some points ? Thanks

Catnat

Star Member
Feb 9, 2019
This thread is dormant but I thought I'd post my experience here, just in case it helps someone else. I studied French in high school, up to A-level and that was back in 2004. Since then, I took a few French lessons (not consistent at all and only a handful at most) in 2016. I recently decided to do TEF to bump up my score (I'd maxed out on IELTS), so I decided to start taking French classes again for 2 months (4 days a week, 2 hours per lesson). After just 2 months, I managed to get a TEF score of B1 for speaking, listening and reading and B2 for writing. This was after essentially taking a break of 14 years. As a result, I managed to get an additional 4 points for my Express Entry profile.
So to anyone out there who feels discouraged or like they are not capable of reaching a level B1 in French (which corresponds to CLB 5, the minimum you need to score points for a second language), I say you are capable. Sign up for intensive classes, use Duolingo and Lingoda, read beginner level French novels and you will be surprised how quickly you improve. It's not impossible. You don't have to be fluent, you just have to be intermediate to get the minimum points so take heart.

Reactions: Clover4

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Dear Hamgha
What should be done to learn French
i don't know, i learned it as a kid. but unless you go into full immersion mode for a year, I don't think you'll be able to do well enough on the test to justify the cost

Reactions: Jatinder_singh

Jatinder_singh

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell TEF b2 is equivalent to what CLB and a2 is what; also, how many CRS one will gain if one has already achieved 8777 in ielts

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell TEF b2 is equivalent to what CLB and a2 is what; also, how many CRS one will gain if one has already achieved 8777 in ielts
You can use the calculator and play around with the number yourself

Reactions: Jatinder_singh

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Thks for the reply..can you help me learning French pronounciation means any site or application on play store from where I can learn pronounciations.
there's duolingo and plenty of stuff on youtube. honestly, i don't think it would be enough. not trying to be discouraging but it's a language. if learning languages was easy we'd all be speaking hundreds of ones