20-Dec-2016(Passed)
Passport Req..
02-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-Feb-2017
LANDED..........
13-Feb-2017
Hi guys

Here is our situation, it's a bit weird since I never thought this would happen so I am here asking for advice.

I have some urgent business in US so my wife and I have to spend next few months down south. However she is already pregnant for some time. we just realize that our baby might be born in US instead of Canada if we can not make it back in time, and I really don't want to risk flying back and forth right before due dates.
In this case the baby will be a US citizen by birth but a Second generation Canadian Citizen because my wife is a Naturalized Canadian Citizen.

My question is :

1.If this happens, how are we suppose to bring the baby back to Canada? what kind of document do we need to show the Canada board officers? (US birth certificate with our names to prove our kid has one Canadian citizen parent? US passport?)

2.When would we be able to apply for his OHIP? (we live in Ontario)

I checked on CIC website and it says that for Canadians born outside Canada the Canadian Citizen certificate would usually take several months to process and only after that baby can get a passport. Before that the only thing can proof the baby's Canadian identity would just be the US birth certificate.

The US passport could be processed much faster, usually 2-4 weeks after the baby is born in US. However, I wonder is it ok for use to us baby's US passport to enter Canada and then just stay inland and apply for baby's Canadian Citizenship? Would travelling by air, by land makes a different?

btw,I found this on CIC website:

If you are a dual Canadian citizen used to travelling to or transiting through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport, you will no longer be able to do so as of November 10, 2016. You will need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight.

If your country needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure to carry both passports when you travel. Find out more about why you must travel with a valid Canadian passport when travelling by air.

Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you will still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp#background

Not sure how to interpret this "Proper identification" thing
Thanks for your advice!

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
I'm not 1,000% sure on the logistics issue. I just wanted to mention the fact that if your child has a child 30 years down the road from now, and that child is born outside Canada, even if it's something strange like premature labour while on Vacation, that child won't be Canadian. Just some food for thought. Canada stopped the 2nd generation born abroad business in 2009. Your decision now could have ramifications down the road.

andrewhl

Aug 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2016
Doc's Request.
21-Dec-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2016
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2016(Passed)
Passport Req..
02-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-Feb-2017
LANDED..........
13-Feb-2017
Coffee1981 said:
I'm not 1,000% sure on the logistics issue. I just wanted to mention the fact that if your child has a child 30 years down the road from now, and that child is born outside Canada, even if it's something strange like premature labour while on Vacation, that child won't be Canadian. Just some food for thought. Canada stopped the 2nd generation born abroad business in 2009. Your decision now could have ramifications down the road.
well I am aware of this policy. But it seems so far away in the future and we really don't worry about that.
Even 10 years is such a long time and many things can happen.
I understand that some Canadian parents are not happy about this policy but to me it really doesn't matter much. Who knows what kind of policy Canada will have 20 years from now. As long as our children can live and work in Canada I don't see much problem. Maybe I will write him a note when he goes to the college. Reminding him that try to have kids inside Canada :p

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
andrewhl said:
1.If this happens, how are we suppose to bring the baby back to Canada? what kind of document do we need to show the Canada board officers? (US birth certificate with our names to prove our kid has one Canadian citizen parent? US passport?)

2.When would we be able to apply for his OHIP? (we live in Ontario)
Hi

1. It depends on how you will be returning to Canada. Land or air?

2. Contact OHIP about their absence policies. I know that BC allows a person to retain their health coverage for up to 2 years if they are out of the province temporarily and I believe Ontario has something similar. If so, you should be able to add your child to your active OHIP account as soon as you return to Ontario.

andrewhl

Aug 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2016
Doc's Request.
21-Dec-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2016
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2016(Passed)
Passport Req..
02-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-Feb-2017
LANDED..........
13-Feb-2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

1. It depends on how you will be returning to Canada. Land or air?

2. Contact OHIP about their absence policies. I know that BC allows a person to retain their health coverage for up to 2 years if they are out of the province temporarily and I believe Ontario has something similar. If so, you should be able to add your child to your active OHIP account as soon as you return to Ontario.
Hi
We will get back by air

And thanks for reminding. I will ask Service Ontario for absence policies.

Thanks a lot!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
andrewhl said:
We will get back by air

And thanks for reminding. I will ask Service Ontario for absence policies.
Flight requires a passport. Your child will be able to fly back on the American passport, as Americans are eTA-exempt.

Provincial health generally requires proof of Canadian citizenship for coverage, so discuss that with OHIP as well. If you need to, you can apply for a Certificate of Citizenship and a limited validity Canadian passport concurrently; the passport will be issued while the certificate is still being processed.

andrewhl

Aug 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2016
Doc's Request.
21-Dec-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2016
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2016(Passed)
Passport Req..
02-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-Feb-2017
LANDED..........
13-Feb-2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Flight requires a passport. Your child will be able to fly back on the American passport, as Americans are eTA-exempt.

Provincial health generally requires proof of Canadian citizenship for coverage, so discuss that with OHIP as well. If you need to, you can apply for a Certificate of Citizenship and a limited validity Canadian passport concurrently; the passport will be issued while the certificate is still being processed.
thanks a lot!
;D