+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone here who took job offer not related to background?

SkilledPro

Mar 13, 2009
Hello fellow members,

is there anyone here who took job offer other than your skills and background? it's been only 2 weeks since I came. im sending out as many resumes as I could everyday but as of this time, no one replied. I have a job offer, however it is totally not related to my background. I decided to take it to help me get by atleast after hearing all sad stories from friends and reading some posts here where IT people could not get into the market.

i do not know if I made the right decision to take it from now. anyone in the same situation as mine?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Congratulations on getting your FIRST JOB in only two weeks!!! Well done! It doesn't matter that it isn't in a particular field. You are on your way to earning Canadian Experience and you can continue to look for jobs while you are working if this one doesn't provide the income/satisfaction/challenge you are longing for. There is a saying you may have heard before, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!" Grab the job you are offered. Another saying is rushing to my fingers, "It isn't WHAT you know, but WHO you know!" Networking is huge in Canada. Take this job, work hard and make a good reputation for yourself. You never know who is watching and thinking - hey my friend Joe or Jane has a position for someone with your skills. Would you like me to introduce you to them?

SkilledPro

Mar 13, 2009
Thank you for those encouraging words! I will really work hard to get the job that I really love. For now, I should be contented anyway. I won't be able to pick up 10CAD in the street per hour right?

That's what I thought too. For someone new in Canada, we need to know a lot of people. I am hoping this will be a good start.

Are you currently in Toronto too?

All the best!