Anyone here still from 2009?

Okupa070uk

Jul 12, 2013
Hi,

This is my story:

* White male (European Union citizen)
* Married to a Canadian citizen
* Been here since 2003. PR since 2006
* Came with an sponsored work visa that my employer arranged for me.

"We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on November 6, 2009.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 6, 2009. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on August 17, 2010.

Your file was transferred to the St Clair office on October 14, 2010. The St Clair office will contact you if additional information is required. The St Clair office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

We sent you a notice on October 29, 2010 to appear and write the citizenship test on November 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.*Note: Citizenship and Immigration Canada does sometimes schedule events on Saturdays or Sundays.

We sent you a letter (RQ) on November 19, 2010. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We sent you a letter on May 23, 2013. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
"

I sent a letter to my MP who found out for me that between 2011 and 2013 nothing was done on my file and it just sat in limbo.

And I'm still waiting........................

Cheers.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Okupa070uk said:
I sent a letter to my MP who found out for me that between 2011 and 2013 nothing was done on my file and it just sat in limbo.
That's just horrible.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
WTH SMH 1st they sent you a notice to appear for a test on November 20th,2010 and then On November 19th,2010 just a day before your test they sent you a RQ????????????????????????That make no sense :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Okupa070uk

Jul 12, 2013
OKK said:
WTH SMH 1st they sent you a notice to appear for a test on November 20th,2010 and then On November 19th,2010 just a day before your test they sent you a RQ????????????????????????That make no sense :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
They actually gave me the RQ on the same day I took the test. They never sent it to me by mail.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
Okupa070uk said:
They actually gave me the RQ on the same day I took the test. They never sent it to me by mail.
I find this even stranger, they updated ECAS that you will receive a RQ just a day before of your test. Something is not right here buddy

Later

Aug 3, 2012
Okupa070uk said:

We sent you a letter (RQ) on November 19, 2010. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We sent you a letter on May 23, 2013. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us."

Wow, that timeline is terrible. Gross incompetence on the part of CIC. I think you have enough grounds to successfully file a "Writ of Mandamus" that would compel the CIC to make a decision on your case.

If you had already received an RQ on November 19th, 2010, why did they send you another letter on May 23, 2010? Is it because they wanted fingerprints?

PS: Don't respond to that troll who has been baiting you on the forum. They only grow more active when you acknowledge their presence.

Okupa070uk

Jul 12, 2013
Later said:
Wow, that timeline is terrible. Gross incompetence on the part of CIC. I think you have enough grounds to successfully file a "Writ of Mandamus" that would compel the CIC to make a decision on your case.

If you had already received an RQ on November 19th, 2010, why did they send you another letter on May 23, 2010? Is it because they wanted fingerprints?

PS: Don't respond to that troll who has been baiting you on the forum. They only grow more active when you acknowledge their presence.
There is actually an entry missing as in 2012, as well as last May 2013, was for finger printing. I complained about the missing entry but no joy.

I phoned the call center today and they told me to phone back in 90 days. My MP told me to contact them if I hadn't heard anything by August.

Well see. To tell you the truth, for me becoming Canadian is more of a personal goal than a necessity as it could be for oters. Still it would be nice if it eventually came to an end, one way or another.

Cheers and thanks for the hint on how to deal with our polluting friend.

holySinner

Nov 16, 2011
I am here from 2009 too. I am still waiting for CIC decision and just no clue what to do. I want this to be over soon but God knows when would they start working on my file. I got my RQ on the day of my test.

Here is my timeline:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 14, 2009.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 14, 2009. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on October 7, 2010.

We sent you a letter on October 7, 2010. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We sent you a letter on April 6, 2011. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We sent you a notice on June 6, 2011 to appear and write the citizenship test on June 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

Your file was transferred to the St Clair office on June 6, 2011. The St Clair office will contact you if additional information is required. The St Clair office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

I would appreciate if you guys can advise me what to do?

Okupa070uk

Jul 12, 2013
holySinner said:
I am here from 2009 too. I am still waiting for CIC decision and just no clue what to do. I want this to be over soon but God knows when would they start working on my file. I got my RQ on the day of my test.

Here is my timeline:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 14, 2009.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 14, 2009. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on October 7, 2010.

We sent you a letter on October 7, 2010. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We sent you a letter on April 6, 2011. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the letter before sending us additional information, as the letter will outline all information that is required. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We sent you a notice on June 6, 2011 to appear and write the citizenship test on June 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

Your file was transferred to the St Clair office on June 6, 2011. The St Clair office will contact you if additional information is required. The St Clair office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

I would appreciate if you guys can advise me what to do?
Hey ya.

What I did was send an e-mail to every single MP, including mine, and the Immigration misnister outlining the time lapse of my case.

After that I did get a call form my MP who then proceded to ask for my history, on my behalf, to CIC and that is when I found out that for two years they just sat on my file. My MP then asked me to phone him three months later if there was no change in my situation.

Somehting must have been added to my case file because on my monthly call to the CIC helpline, the gentleman that answered the phone was actually more proactive than usual and he, himself (believe it or not) told me to call back in 90 days if I have not heard anything.

From the Immigration minister I got back the usual canned response (see text below)

Dear :

This is in reply to your email dated June 19, 2013, addressed to the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, concerning the processing of your application for a grant of Canadian citizenship.

We understand your frustration at what appear to be unwarranted delays in processing citizenship applications. Probably no other issue causes more dismay or gives greater concern than processing delays.

As you know, all citizenship applicants must complete immigration, security and criminal background checks before they can become Canadian citizens. These requirements exist to protect the interests and safety of Canadians. However, background checks are conducted in partnership with outside agencies and we have no control over the delays that they may incur. In addition, since background clearances are only valid for 12 months, they must be redone if they expire before processing is completed.

Since 2006, Canada has welcomed the highest sustained level of immigration in the country’s history. As a result, the number of citizenship applications has increased by 30%, with Canada averaging approximately 200,000 new citizens each year. The Government of Canada is committed to maintaining this high number of permanent residents taking up full citizenship. As such, there have been several recent improvements to the citizenship process to expedite applications and ensure the timely welcoming of new citizens.

As part of the improvements that took effect on June 3, 2013, eight additional citizenship judges have been appointed - which will result in more decisions on citizenship applications. Under the Economic Action Plan 2013, the Government will also be investing in citizenship processing over the next two years to address current and existing backlogs. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will use this additional funding to also work on improving processing times.

For a number of years, CIC’s annual application intake has been higher than our capacity to process those applications. The new funding will allow us to help address that gap, process applications that have been awaiting a decision, and improve overall service. These new changes will mean shorter wait times for some citizenship applicants. Further information can be found on the CIC Web site at <not allowed to insert web links>.

Our most recent data indicate that 80% of routine citizenship applications are finalized in approximately 25 months from the date of receipt of the completed application. Cases where an applicant has been asked to provide a residence questionnaire, documents proving residence in Canada, fingerprints, or any other additional documents are not considered to be routine. Currently, the time needed to finalize most non-routine cases is 35 months from the initial date of application. Some cases may take longer depending on their complexity. Further information on why an application may be delayed can be found at: <not allowed to insert web links>.

As part of the criminal background clearance process, applicants may be asked to provide a set of fingerprints to ensure that there is no error in identity. Because similar biographical data can sometimes lead to mistaken identity, a way of avoiding such an error is through the use of fingerprints.

Our records confirm that your criminal background check had expired and needed to be redone. On May 23, 2013, citizenship officials in Toronto sent you a letter requesting that you provide a set of fingerprints. Once the fingerprints are received and your background checks are approved, the officials will be in a position to continue processing your application. You will be notified of further citizenship events, such as the oath taking ceremony as soon as circumstances permit.

I hope that this information is of assistance.

D. Kit

Ministerial Enquiries Division

This electronic address is not available for reply.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okupa070uk said:
Dear :

This is in reply to your email dated June 19, 2013, addressed to the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, concerning the processing of your application for a grant of Canadian citizenship.

We understand your frustration at what appear to be unwarranted delays in processing citizenship applications. Probably no other issue causes more dismay or gives greater concern than processing delays.

As you know, all citizenship applicants must complete immigration, security and criminal background checks before they can become Canadian citizens. These requirements exist to protect the interests and safety of Canadians. However, background checks are conducted in partnership with outside agencies and we have no control over the delays that they may incur. In addition, since background clearances are only valid for 12 months, they must be redone if they expire before processing is completed.

Since 2006, Canada has welcomed the highest sustained level of immigration in the country's history. As a result, the number of citizenship applications has increased by 30%, with Canada averaging approximately 200,000 new citizens each year. The Government of Canada is committed to maintaining this high number of permanent residents taking up full citizenship. As such, there have been several recent improvements to the citizenship process to expedite applications and ensure the timely welcoming of new citizens.

As part of the improvements that took effect on June 3, 2013, eight additional citizenship judges have been appointed - which will result in more decisions on citizenship applications. Under the Economic Action Plan 2013, the Government will also be investing in citizenship processing over the next two years to address current and existing backlogs. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will use this additional funding to also work on improving processing times.

For a number of years, CIC's annual application intake has been higher than our capacity to process those applications. The new funding will allow us to help address that gap, process applications that have been awaiting a decision, and improve overall service. These new changes will mean shorter wait times for some citizenship applicants. Further information can be found on the CIC Web site at <not allowed to insert web links>.

Our most recent data indicate that 80% of routine citizenship applications are finalized in approximately 25 months from the date of receipt of the completed application. Cases where an applicant has been asked to provide a residence questionnaire, documents proving residence in Canada, fingerprints, or any other additional documents are not considered to be routine. Currently, the time needed to finalize most non-routine cases is 35 months from the initial date of application. Some cases may take longer depending on their complexity. Further information on why an application may be delayed can be found at: <not allowed to insert web links>.

As part of the criminal background clearance process, applicants may be asked to provide a set of fingerprints to ensure that there is no error in identity. Because similar biographical data can sometimes lead to mistaken identity, a way of avoiding such an error is through the use of fingerprints.

Our records confirm that your criminal background check had expired and needed to be redone. On May 23, 2013, citizenship officials in Toronto sent you a letter requesting that you provide a set of fingerprints. Once the fingerprints are received and your background checks are approved, the officials will be in a position to continue processing your application. You will be notified of further citizenship events, such as the oath taking ceremony as soon as circumstances permit.

I hope that this information is of assistance.

D. Kit

Ministerial Enquiries Division

This electronic address is not available for reply.
Thank you for posting this letter and your experiences with contacting your MP. Your MP has a responsibility to advocate for you. You are their constituent, rather you can vote yet or not.

It's disappointing that their letter contains a blatant falsehood however. In what world do the following numbers of new citizens average out to "approximately 200,000"?
(2007) 199,866
(2008) 176,567
(2009) 156,342
(2010) 143,595
(2011) 181,288
(2012) 113,111
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/statistics/data-release/2012-Q4/index.asp

The things they lie about & gloss over do help us in one way though. They point out the messages that they feel may be politically damaging to them. By lying they are pointing out their own weaknesses.

These are the messages we need to include when communicating to the public, to journalists, or in letters to the Editor. Along with the record backlog and record processing timelines.

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
The message in this letter is that they have sooooooooooooooooooooooo much to blame on other elements and they will not admit that they are simply a FLOP