+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone graduated from CEGEP? (Question on CSQ)

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
Hey everyone,

Has anyone graduated from a Cegep in QC and applied for CSQ as a graduate? When you sent your docs, did you first wait until your DEC was mailed to you 6 months after graduation or did you send only the transcript before graduating and then send the diploma once it was ready? Also, did you send anything besides the transcript at first, like a letter of confirmation of some sort? I don't understand if the college will give you a confirmation or "attestation de réussite" before you get your DEC, so that you can send those to start the process. I really need a guidance of someone who's been-there-done-that, because neither my Cegep nor the Immigration QC could give me any answers.

I'm graduating this May, DEC will be mailed 6 months after, so I'm not sure when and what docs to send for CSQ.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

baldalloj

Apr 18, 2017
Hi
I am not student at CEGEP, but I think rules apply for all diplomas with no regard where you have obtained it, they say: You must submit all of your diplomas , not other form of attestations are accepted, that means that transcripts, letters of completion or something like that, will not be accepted unless you submit your diploma as a proof of your studies. If you are in QC right now, I think you may go through MIDI and make a question, I suggest you to call 514-868 9191

However, It seems to me you may apply trough Programme de l’expérience québécoise (PEQ) – Québec Graduate , you may look at the midi website.

Best regards.

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
Hey baldalloj,

I think that CSQ (through PEQ) is trickier: you can apply 6 month before you get your diploma OR the so-called "attestation of successful completion", and you need either of them to actually get your CSQ. So, seems like the diploma is not mandatory. In comparison, if you apply for a work permit, you do not need to wait for your diploma, you can just send the transcript to CIC with a letter from your college/university.

Now, I did call Immigration Quebec -- the woman told me that all institutions issue an "attestation de réussite", however my college dean told me that they "never heard" of this mysterious document. To me it seems that attestation is just a letter of confirmation, although I might as well be wrong... This is why I was reaaally hoping to hear a story from a QC graduate. Again, neither Immigration QC nor my college could give me solid answers to these questions.

Plus, a friend of mine told me that someone successfully received CSQ in the past with just a letter of confirmation from the college. This is just anecdotal evidence though, we are both confused as to when it's best to apply... The problem is that diplomas take 6 (!) months to arrive from the MIDI. It's best to sort this out quickly and move on with your life. But I really don't know if I should apply now with a confirmation OR wait for 6 months and apply with a diploma.

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
I just found out from MIDI's Create your future in Québec after your studies, that the decision about CSQ will be made when you present either (a) diploma, or (b) attestation of successful completion, or (c) transcript of final marks. The transcript isn't mentioned on the official website though, which concerns me...

The website of Université Laval says pretty much the same thing: CSQ can be issued upon presentation of "confirmation of graduation". For their bachelors, masters, etc. degrees, students can submit a transcript and a "certification of degree" (don't know what it stands for), but not necessarily your diploma.

Still not sure what to do in my case!

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
Alright, so I received my CSQ and I want to share my exp. as a way of giving back to this community... For any students in doubt, you certainly can (and I would say should) apply for the CSQ before finishing your college. Take the latest transcript and send it over with the rest of the docs. You'd need to also send the final transcript and the attestation letter from the college once they are issued (usually early June if you are finishing in the Winter semester). You do not need to wait for the diploma. And if you send the package before getting your final transcript, you will receive the response faster when your final transcript is ready to be sent, because your file will be conditionally pre-approved. All that would be left to do is to send the missing transcript and the letter and then you'll get your CSQ! Hope this helps others

Reactions: Immstu

Sam_Canada_88

Jun 27, 2016
Hi Alex,

Thank you for clearing this up for the rest of us. My brother is planning to study at Cegep Montreal and I researching some of the immigration implications on his behalf. I have been trying to find someone who has studied at Cegep Montreal and can share some first hand experiences. Can you help shed some light on below:

1. Does the AEC/DEC program require knowledge of French or is the course completely taught in English?

2. Are there any Part time jobs available through the College or did you end up applying off campus?

3. Did the Part time jobs require French fluency?

4. Post graduation, did you apply for PR as part of the Federal Skilled Worker program or is there a different program for students who have studied in Quebec?

5. Does the CSQ allow you to relocate to other provinces?

It will be very helpful if you could share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Sam

alex996

Dec 25, 2016
Hi Sam,

Sorry for a late reply, I never got any email notifications, and I just saw your post.

1. Depends on the Cegep. If you go to an English Cegep, like Dawson, Vanier, or Abbott, then you don't need French. The language of instruction is exclusively English. Basic/intermediary French will be necessary though, as you will have to complete several general education French courses to graduate. Also, beware that most students are bilingual, but many prefer speaking French among themselves. It's Quebec after all.

2. Absolutely! Both on-campus (e.g. tutor or assistant) and off-campus (barista, cashier, etc.)

3. Generally yes, especially in retail and restaurants. I got away with intermediary knowledge though. For a cashier, it doesn't go far beyond a basic conversation, so you don't need to be a language expert. The good news is, you could find a part-time job in English, depending on your career. For example, there are English IT jobs in Montreal, but fewer than French of course.

4. I applied as a graduate.

5. I don't think so. And then there is a stipulation that you will live for at least 3 months in QC with your own funds (i.e. a job). Not sure if it's after CSQ or after PR through QC skilled workers program.