+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone ever changed LAST NAME on citizenship application??

jerry2121

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone here(especially Men) has ever either changed their last name or corrected it on citizenship Application? The change I want to make is slight. For example, if my last name is Smiths (not real name), I'll be changing to Smith without 's'. This change came as a result of my entire family agreement for all to make a change to it; I migrated from Europe.

If you or someone you know successfully changed his during the citizenship application, please share with me the steps taken to ensure a smooth application process. Was their any documentation that may be needed as to why the change is being made? Note that this change has nothing to do with marriage. Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jerry2121 said:
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone here(especially Men) has ever either changed their last name or corrected it on citizenship Application? The change I want to make is slight. For example, if my last name is Smiths (not real name), I'll be changing to Smith without 's'. This change came as a result of my entire family agreement for all to make a change to it; I migrated from Europe.

If you or someone you know successfully changed his during the citizenship application, please share with me the steps taken to ensure a smooth application process. Was their any documentation that may be needed as to why the change is being made? Note that this change has nothing to do with marriage. Thanks
You will probably require a legal name change in the province where you are residing if you want to use surname is different from your Immigration documents. See the following from the Instructions

Name change

If you have legally changed your name, you must provide documentation showing the use of both old and new names.

The name on the citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your immigration document unless:

you have legally changed it after arriving in Canada, or
you are requesting a different name for your citizenship certificate and you can provide supporting documents.

If you have legally changed your name
then you must provide a copy of
an approved amendment to your immigration document, or
a provincial legal change of name document, or
a provincial adoption order indicating your new name.
If you are requesting a name change that is not significant (for example a slight change in spelling)
then you must provide a copy of one of the following that reads exactly the same as the name you are requesting:
a provincial health card, or
a provincial driver’s licence, or
an official school record issued by the provincial department responsible for education.
If you are requesting a name change that is significant (more than a slight change in spelling)
then you must provide a copy of
the provincial documents noted above
and
linking documents showing the use of both old and new names, and the basis for the change. Examples of linking documents include:
marriage certificate
foreign change of name document
divorce judgment
adoption order, or
foreign passport showing both names.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
I think to drop just one letter at the end is acceptable without legally changing your name. I called them about it myself as i wanted to change samsonov to samsonoff but in my case it required a full name change process and an paper attached. I remember them mention to the effect that in a case with just one letter change it would be acceptable. However, to be on the safe side I would speak to them directly.

josephine129

Sep 23, 2013
I went through what you are going through now,after asking many parties including specialized people; No one advised me to do even one letter change without legal name change which as I was told it takes 4 months...

jerry2121

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
RussCan said:
I think to drop just one letter at the end is acceptable without legally changing your name. I called them about it myself as i wanted to change samsonov to samsonoff but in my case it required a full name change process and an paper attached. I remember them mention to the effect that in a case with just one letter change it would be acceptable. However, to be on the safe side I would speak to them directly.

Thanks all, for ur contributions! Please let me know u all finalised the last name change without hassles.

josephine129

Sep 23, 2013
I personally cancelled the idea of the name change for now since I was due for citizenship application and as you know citizenship processing itself is taking a great deal of time and it is not as smooth as it used to be in the past so I told my self let me deal with the important headache now and to postpone other non urgent matters ....if that's what you were asking about?

Kingoftherings

Star Member
Jan 19, 2013
Toronto,Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi jerry2121 as i was born in a latin american country and we all latinos folks use two last name the one of my father and the one of my mother I removed my dad last name for personal reason but i only use one last name now you have to proof that with your provincial ID showing the name that you want to appear on your citizenship certificate and then is its up to the judge if he approves your name change or not in my case everything went fine and now i only have one last name :) the one of my mother

jerry2121

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
RussCan said:
Hi Russcan, Have u finalized the name change yet? If its possible, at what stage would u make that change, is it on the certificate or during the application process? Also what number do you call to find out how possible it is to drop just 1 letter from ones last name? Thanks

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
I did not bother going through the whole process of officially changing the name. Thought it was not worth the time and efforts. Regarding the number I called, it was just the ordinary CIC call centre line 1-888-242-2100

jerry2121

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
RussCan said:
I did not bother going through the whole process of officially changing the name. Thought it was not worth the time and efforts. Regarding the number I called, it was just the ordinary CIC call centre line 1-888-242-2100

Thanks Russcan!