+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied for Work Permit at the Los Angeles Consulate recently

phx01

Sep 17, 2012
nshukla said:
Our money order was cashed as soon the consulate received our application. We would be over 8 weeks on Monday so would start an inquiry on Monday. There is no way to call/visit. All you can do is either fax or email. Its also stated on the website that if you are over the processing time, they would reply to the inquiries. This may take up to 28 days as mentioned on the website :) so all you can do is wait for the update from them.

In the meantime, if you need your passport back urgently, you can get it back using their special service but that would out an end to your processing and you would have to start all over again.
Thanks nshukla for your reply. I had sent a cashier's check and strangely it is yet to be negotiated (checked with my bank if it has been encashed and this is what they told me). Can you please elaborate on the special service (in case if I need my passport back urgently) ? I did not happen to see it on the LA Canadian consulate website and whats the turnaround time for this service.

nshukla

Aug 27, 2012
phx01 said:
Thanks nshukla for your reply. I had sent a cashier's check and strangely it is yet to be negotiated (checked with my bank if it has been encashed and this is what they told me). Can you please elaborate on the special service (in case if I need my passport back urgently) ? I did not happen to see it on the LA Canadian consulate website and whats the turnaround time for this service.
Visit - http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/los_angeles/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

They have an email id there and you can contact the same with a request regarding your passport. Keep in mind that as soon as you do this, you application will be rejected and returned along with your passport. How long has it been since you applied?

nshukla

Aug 27, 2012
Hey all,

So we FINALLY received some feedback from the LA consulate regarding our applications. We got a request to do our medical screenings and send it over to the consulate ASAP. Has anyone heard of medicals being requested as a part of a work permit application? I thought they were only for the PR applications.

We are planning on getting our medicals done next week and send them back. I hope the result comes soon after and is positive!!

Niyati

ParPar

Aug 13, 2012
Dear all,
I appreciate it if you could give a comment. I need work permit and visa for Canada. We sent all the document to LA consulate with LMO file number (pending) on July 23 then sent the LMO positive response at the end of August. Which day is tacking into account for the processing time. What can I do now to check my status?
Thanks,

ParPar

Aug 13, 2012
Just FYI:
WP and Visa for Toronto:
application sent:23 July (with pending LMO from April 5)
LMO letter sent: 28 Aug.
got email from LA: 10 Oct. my visa is issued
GOOD LUCK!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
nshukla said:
Hey all,

So we FINALLY received some feedback from the LA consulate regarding our applications. We got a request to do our medical screenings and send it over to the consulate ASAP. Has anyone heard of medicals being requested as a part of a work permit application? I thought they were only for the PR applications.

We are planning on getting our medicals done next week and send them back. I hope the result comes soon after and is positive!!

Niyati
Some jobs do require medicals - primarily those involving working in health care or working with children as I recall. See FW 1 "Temporary Foreign Workers" for a detailed description of the positions that require medicals.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
ParPar said:
Just FYI:
WP and Visa for Toronto:
application sent:23 July (with pending LMO from April 5)
LMO letter sent: 28 Aug.
got email from LA: 10 Oct. my visa is issued
GOOD LUCK!
Hi, could you tell me how you get an email from LA about your visa/wp approval?
did you send them inquiries?

Thanks

ParPar

Aug 13, 2012
itsmyid said:

Thanks

Hi, Yes I sent an inquiry on Oct 2 and I get the response after 10 days.
Good luck!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
ParPar said:
itsmyid said:

Thanks

Hi, Yes I sent an inquiry on Oct 2 and I get the response after 10 days.
Good luck!
It's been 53 days for me... submitted with approved LMO in late Aug..
On Sept 25 they sent my lawyer a letter requesting me to sign a affidavit to relinquish my expired Canadian PR -- I had it from 2006 but couldn't meet the residency requirement, so I never really lived in Canada after I landed: the irony is, back then when I didn't have any work experience fresh out of school, it was easy to get the PR; but now that I've got nearly 6 years of experience in the US, it was easy for me to find job in Canada, but takes forever to get the work permit

I signed the form and the lawyer submitted it on Oct 1st, and so far still haven't heard anything..

nshukla

Aug 27, 2012
Hi Guys,

Just got our visa!! We had applied on July 23rd...on Sept 23rd we got the request for medicals and we got the passports today :)

Good luck,
Niyati

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
nshukla said:
Hi Guys,

Just got our visa!! We had applied on July 23rd...on Sept 23rd we got the request for medicals and we got the passports today :)

Good luck,
Niyati
After you got the request for medicals, when did you submit the results of medical to them?
Thanks!