+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

mic-mic

May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
April 8, 2015 (PASSED April 23)
Passport Req..
May 18, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2015
LANDED..........
July 2015
Hello, just to add to what scorpio said, once you are given an Offer letter, assuming you already gathered all the documents needed to apply for the student visa.

In mycase, when I got the offer letter, I immediately applied the next day. In the offer letter, it gives you an ample amount of days to apply for the visa (they are aware of the time it takes to get your visa) and pay the deposit.

You do not need to pay an entire year's worth of tuition because getting the refund will be hard based on what I read on threads.

I didn't pay the deposite (if I remeber it right) up until I had my visa approved. Masyado ako sigurista ;D

And yes, no need for an agency because as you progress, you want to process your PGWP on your own because people who will do that here for you will be very expensive. The same goes when the time you will be lodging your PR application. So it's good practice to do it on your own now if you're in it for the long run :)

Nga pala, kami nila tipsy, floje and scorpio yung well documented yung applications so if you backread, you can learn from the things we did. Graduating na kami sa May 2017 (meron yata isa dyan matatapos na this year hehe) so wish us luck!

Regarding part time jobs, madami talaga sa Toronto! I'm located in Mississauga(still part of the Greater Toroonto Area) and jobs are also available. What I did the first time I applied was to join a job fair of a retail company and was hired on the spot. Take note however that this is just a retail job because you can only work part time as a student. Tried applying for a more related field to my studies but they all said get back to us when you graduate or they need somebody full time. So tiis tiis muna habang nag-aaral :)

Quick tip: apply to jobs near your house or near the bus station papunta or pauwi ng school. What takes 15 minutes by car will take around 45 minutes by bus dito ;)

mikescotchwhisky

Oct 16, 2016
Hello Guys! Update sa application ko, nakalagay dun Application Has Been Approved. Nakalink yung paper application ko sa online. Ibig sabihin ba nun sure approve na ako? Hindi ko pa kasi na received yung message and status lang nakita ko.

journey namin

Star Member
Jun 13, 2014
mic-mic said:
Hello, just to add to what scorpio said, once you are given an Offer letter, assuming you already gathered all the documents needed to apply for the student visa.

In mycase, when I got the offer letter, I immediately applied the next day. In the offer letter, it gives you an ample amount of days to apply for the visa (they are aware of the time it takes to get your visa) and pay the deposit.

You do not need to pay an entire year's worth of tuition because getting the refund will be hard based on what I read on threads.

I didn't pay the deposite (if I remeber it right) up until I had my visa approved. Masyado ako sigurista ;D

And yes, no need for an agency because as you progress, you want to process your PGWP on your own because people who will do that here for you will be very expensive. The same goes when the time you will be lodging your PR application. So it's good practice to do it on your own now if you're in it for the long run :)

Nga pala, kami nila tipsy, floje and scorpio yung well documented yung applications so if you backread, you can learn from the things we did. Graduating na kami sa May 2017 (meron yata isa dyan matatapos na this year hehe) so wish us luck!

Regarding part time jobs, madami talaga sa Toronto! I'm located in Mississauga(still part of the Greater Toroonto Area) and jobs are also available. What I did the first time I applied was to join a job fair of a retail company and was hired on the spot. Take note however that this is just a retail job because you can only work part time as a student. Tried applying for a more related field to my studies but they all said get back to us when you graduate or they need somebody full time. So tiis tiis muna habang nag-aaral :)

Quick tip: apply to jobs near your house or near the bus station papunta or pauwi ng school. What takes 15 minutes by car will take around 45 minutes by bus dito ;)
Thanks mic-mic.
It's really good to hear advises from all of you.
I am planning to do the same, i will do all the applications by myself and might really need guidelines from all of you.
I'll let you know about sa progress on this direction.
Thanks!

mic-mic

May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
April 8, 2015 (PASSED April 23)
Passport Req..
May 18, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2015
LANDED..........
July 2015
You're welcome and goodluck!

Kami din nagbasa basa lang dito and did everything on our own.

You can save that agency money and put it into you rent or funds for buying proper winter attire (a good jacket costs around 150-200, 100 for boots and maybe 100-200 for thermal pants or undershirt) when you get here ;)

Arriving here sounds fun and all but once winter happens, you want to be prepared ;)

Rineskey

Apr 30, 2016
Category........
gela said:
hi lourve can you please share me the list too! salamat!
Hi! can you also send me the list of requirements. Thanks in advance. my email is rineskey@yahoo.com

cesces

Oct 5, 2016
Hi. Hoping some of you can give me an advice. My application (paper-based) was filed last Oct 14 by my agency and I just checked my application status on gckey today. Unfortunately, my application has been refused. However, I did not received any message on my gckey account nor email from the embassy regarding the reasons of my refusal. I told my agency about this and they said that they can not decide or inform me about the result since the original documents haven't arrived to their office yet and that I should just wait for an email from the embassy. Another issue is, when I clicked the question mark on final decision, it goes to a new page Help - final decision with all the keywords then under the word "refused" it says - "Refused" means that we have refused your work permit application. There will be a message in your account indicating the reason(s) for refusal.

Why is it work permit instead of study permit? Why I haven't received any message? How long does it take to receive the email (reasons for refusal) from the embassy? Hoping that some of you will reply. Thank you :)

tyn

Nov 7, 2016
Hi! I took a Diploma program in Ontario which is normally a 2-year course. I opted for the fast-track program kaya natapos ko agad in just a year. 3 continuous terms ung inaral ko, no breaks at all. Naghanap tlga ako ng 1yr program kasi hndi ko afford mag2yrs and gusto ko mgwork agad then immigrate. Hehe. Then I came across sa course ko and confirmed it with CIC kung ilang years of PGWP ang mkukuha ko if it's a fast-track program. And they said, it will be based on the "official" length of the program. So since my program is a 2-yr course officially, they granted me 3yrs PGWP! ;D They said it's not about how long you finished the program, it's about the "official" length of the program. Here in Ontario, Diploma is usually a 2-yr program. So kung gusto mo dn ng fast-track katulad ko, look for Diploma programs na 40-45 weeks ung duration then confirm the official length of the program with the school. If you need help on your application, just pm me. ;)

journey namin said:
Hi Tyn...very encouraging ang journey mo. :)
I am planning to study din by Sept 2017...
Just want to ask sana about PGWP - it seems 1 year lang yung study mo sa canada but 3 years and PGWP issued sa yo - pede pala yun kasi as I am reading ang PGWP daw cannot be longer than the years of study?? Madami ba cases na ganun?
Thanks and God bless.

journey namin

Star Member
Jun 13, 2014
tyn said:
Hi! I took a Diploma program in Ontario which is normally a 2-year course. I opted for the fast-track program kaya natapos ko agad in just a year. 3 continuous terms ung inaral ko, no breaks at all. Naghanap tlga ako ng 1yr program kasi hndi ko afford mag2yrs and gusto ko mgwork agad then immigrate. Hehe. Then I came across sa course ko and confirmed it with CIC kung ilang years of PGWP ang mkukuha ko if it's a fast-track program. And they said, it will be based on the "official" length of the program. So since my program is a 2-yr course officially, they granted me 3yrs PGWP! ;D They said it's not about how long you finished the program, it's about the "official" length of the program. Here in Ontario, Diploma is usually a 2-yr program. So kung gusto mo dn ng fast-track katulad ko, look for Diploma programs na 40-45 weeks ung duration then confirm the official length of the program with the school. If you need help on your application, just pm me. ;)
Ah..that is good! Thanks for that info...i will try as much as possible to shorten the length of my study since I am planning to bring my wife and son with me.

I'll pm you when I need some help. Thanks for the offer. :)

Of the many schools i am checking on - Centennial is one of those na mukhang ok sa tingin ko for Master in Engineering program?
Anyone who can comment on this? After graduation from canadian school - are employers putting a lot of bearing from which school you graduated (sort of like in the pinas)? Or to put it straight since really I have no idea - are graduates from Centennial college well regarded by potential employers?
Thanks!

tyn

Nov 7, 2016
journey namin said:
Ah..that is good! Thanks for that info...i will try as much as possible to shorten the length of my study since I am planning to bring my wife and son with me.

Of the many schools i am checking on - Centennial is one of those na mukhang ok sa tingin ko for Master in Engineering program?
Anyone who can comment on this? After graduation from canadian school - are employers putting a lot of bearing from which school you graduated (sort of like in the pinas)? Or to put it straight since really I have no idea - are graduates from Centennial college well regarded by potential employers?
Thanks!
No problem!

Re: schools - it doesn't matter which school. Fair cla dto. Wala nmang discrimation akong naexperience so far. Ung mga employers ko mababait, they gave me a chance kht wala akong canadian work exp. I think, as long as you are capable of doing the job, you will get hired. Patience lng din at wag choosy sa kind of job. Kasi dto magsisimula tlga tayo sa kung ano anong jobs ;)

scorpio1641

Apr 12, 2014
Visa Office......
VFS Cebu
App. Filed.......
16-02-2015
Med's Request
17-02-2015 / Med. Furtherance Request: 09-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-02-2015 / Furtherance Done: 10-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-07-2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2015
journey namin said:
Hi Scorpio1641...been doing back reading and found your responses very light and easy. it gives encouragement to newbies like me here. :)
My question is that - from the time you were admitted by Centennial - how many days is the deadline they gave you to secure your spot (deposit payment)?
The reason i am asking is that i am waiting for the decision of other schools also, so if ever that i will receive admission from other school - i still have the liberty to choose which school to enroll eventually.
Hi! Sorry for the late reply :) I can't remember exactly when na hehe, pero I think malapit na yon sa start ng term. Here's a secret - you can wait to pay your deposit sa Centennial ... they will still accept you kahit sabihin nila yon yong deadline promise :) so you can take as much time as you want before deciding. Just keep in touch with your coordinator (si Min Ah Kwon pa rin ba?)

mikescotchwhisky said:
Hello Guys! Update sa application ko, nakalagay dun Application Has Been Approved. Nakalink yung paper application ko sa online. Ibig sabihin ba nun sure approve na ako? Hindi ko pa kasi na received yung message and status lang nakita ko.
congrats! :) Saan ka headed dito?

scorpio1641

Apr 12, 2014
Visa Office......
VFS Cebu
App. Filed.......
16-02-2015
Med's Request
17-02-2015 / Med. Furtherance Request: 09-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-02-2015 / Furtherance Done: 10-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-07-2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2015
cesces said:
Hi. Hoping some of you can give me an advice. My application (paper-based) was filed last Oct 14 by my agency and I just checked my application status on gckey today. Unfortunately, my application has been refused. However, I did not received any message on my gckey account nor email from the embassy regarding the reasons of my refusal. I told my agency about this and they said that they can not decide or inform me about the result since the original documents haven't arrived to their office yet and that I should just wait for an email from the embassy. Another issue is, when I clicked the question mark on final decision, it goes to a new page Help - final decision with all the keywords then under the word "refused" it says - "Refused" means that we have refused your work permit application. There will be a message in your account indicating the reason(s) for refusal.

Why is it work permit instead of study permit? Why I haven't received any message? How long does it take to receive the email (reasons for refusal) from the embassy? Hoping that some of you will reply. Thank you :)
Did you receive your email already? Usually within one to two days ... just wait lang, para malaman mo rin kung ano yung reasons for refusal.

journey namin said:

Thanks!
Centennial has a Masters in Engineering program pala?
Iba kasi yung educational system dito compared sa atin. You have the community colleges like Centennial, Seneca, Humber and you have Universities. Siempre quality wise, mas okay talaga mag-university pero grabe ang mahal. Di mo afford unless may kaya ka na sa Pinas or resident ka na dito. I wanted to do university, pero di ko talaga kaya ang tuition. So if you are asking if Centennial is a good school -- it is for a college, but it is not a university. Mas okay pa ung mga top universities sa atin. Pero if you're looking for a way to get into Canada lang, Centennial is good enough.

the good news is -- yung mga employers dito USUALLY hindi tinitingnan ang academic credentials mo. Dito din iba ang culture ng Canadians. Sa Pilipinas, we put a lot of emphasis kung saan graduated o kung mataas ang grades. Pero dito, it doesn't matter at all - it's who you know and what skills you have. So it depends on you talaga.

journey namin

Star Member
Jun 13, 2014
scorpio1641 said:
Hi! Sorry for the late reply :) I can't remember exactly when na hehe, pero I think malapit na yon sa start ng term. Here's a secret - you can wait to pay your deposit sa Centennial ... they will still accept you kahit sabihin nila yon yong deadline promise :) so you can take as much time as you want before deciding. Just keep in touch with your coordinator (si Min Ah Kwon pa rin ba?)
Haven't reached that stage :)...still in the process of school search, Centennial is my 3rd choice.
Their deadline for Fall 2017 is till July 2016, plenty of time and good to know that they will wait even after the deadline given...(I'll just tell Min Kwon that you said it ;D).
I applied for preliminary application for U of Alberta but really targeting UBC.
Anybody here doing MEng in UBC? Is it really hard to go through their criteria? Or parang tough lang sa website but not that much sa actual?
Thanks.

journey namin

Star Member
Jun 13, 2014
scorpio1641 said:
Did you receive your email already? Usually within one to two days ... just wait lang, para malaman mo rin kung ano yung reasons for refusal.

Centennial has a Masters in Engineering program pala?
Iba kasi yung educational system dito compared sa atin. You have the community colleges like Centennial, Seneca, Humber and you have Universities. Siempre quality wise, mas okay talaga mag-university pero grabe ang mahal. Di mo afford unless may kaya ka na sa Pinas or resident ka na dito. I wanted to do university, pero di ko talaga kaya ang tuition. So if you are asking if Centennial is a good school -- it is for a college, but it is not a university. Mas okay pa ung mga top universities sa atin. Pero if you're looking for a way to get into Canada lang, Centennial is good enough.

the good news is -- yung mga employers dito USUALLY hindi tinitingnan ang academic credentials mo. Dito din iba ang culture ng Canadians. Sa Pilipinas, we put a lot of emphasis kung saan graduated o kung mataas ang grades. Pero dito, it doesn't matter at all - it's who you know and what skills you have. So it depends on you talaga.
Hi Scorpio 1641...thanks for the reply and sa explanation....same comment from tyn about canadian mentality sa education system.
Yes, I will use this to gain PR later on...bonus na lang whatever ang madadagdag sa alam ko after my studies. :)
I will post whatever progress ma-aachieve ko to help others din.
Thanks!

elladayrit

Jul 11, 2016
tyn said:

Hi tyn! Question. May coop ka din ba sa program mo? and how much cheaper siya compared sa two years na course? Im looking into it. Yung nahanap ko kasi for my course originally 2 years naging 1 and a half year na lang. Also, magkano show money mo?

Thank you.