+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any temporary worker in Quebec, but applying for Express Entry, join here.

indebutous45

Sep 19, 2022
Hi,

Maybe my situation is a bit unique -- I have a closed WP for Vancouver but I arrived in Canada in December 2021 -- after having not seen my girlfriend (who lives in Montreal) for nearly two years because of the pandemic, I moved to Montreal as a temporary measure to try heal our relationship (my job allows me to work remotely) -- Things between us as it turns out did not work out and we broke up. I had signed a one year lease on my apartment so I've been waiting for the lease to end (Jan 2022) and then I move to Vancouver (I really never had any intention of settling in Quebec -- when she finished studies we would have moved). I recently just got an ITA through EE and I'm about to provide documents -- do I have to provide a letter proactively explaining why I was in Quebec?
Just to reiterate -- I have a closed WP with the location in Vancouver. Is that enough or do I need to provide a letter of intent to leave QC, apartment lease for BC etc?

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hello,
I have a PGWP and I am considering to apply for LMIA in Montreal to get 50 points from EE, but I will apply CEC after lmia approved. Do you think that it’s a conflict because we need to show intention to live outside of the Quebec for CEC. ( It’s a restaurant job)

njp9904

Dec 12, 2022
Hello everyone,
I have created my EE profile this month (Dec 2022). My CRS score is 439, probably if IRCC implement only CEC draw then there will be high chances to have ITA. Now, let me explain my situation, I studied in Montreal for two years program and been living in Montreal since September 2019. I have been working in Montreal employer as well. I have all proofs and tie up with Quebec. FYI, My distant relative has been living in Ontario. My question is what I can do to convince VO to intention to leave outside of Quebec?

Thanks in advance

sharathsatheesh

Feb 22, 2018
Get a job offer outside Quebec. Move out of Quebec if you can. Relative living outside Quebec is not a convincing intention to move especially when they are not close (parents / spouse etc )

aravindkj1988

Nov 17, 2020
I am on closed work permit in Quebec. Last week I got email just asking please inform your province of destination. Next day I got portal login creation email. Week after that I get tportal login details and uploaded photo and Montreal address. I waiting for COPR. hopefully

zubairalimansoor

Feb 12, 2010
Restriction must be for employer. You can live anywhere in Canada but can work for the employer mentioned in your WP.I am still working for the same MTL employer when I was applying for PR and living in ON.
Hi @Usmz, I wanted to ask, did you get 50 points for quebec based job offer or not ?

AV250

Jan 4, 2023
CEC, living in Quebec temporarily and working for a company in New Brunswick.

I am on a PGWP and will complete one year of work experience in the next month.

I work for an employer who is in New Brunswick and I shifted and am living in Montreal since May.

There were 3 major reasons for moving to Montreal.
1. I wanted to live in a bigger city like Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal, but Ontario does not provide OHIP, unless you have an employee in Ontario along with pgwp. Quebec on the other hand gave me healthcare just on my pgwp. I can get healthcare from Ontario only if I have a PR or an employer from Ontario.

2. The client I work for is in New Hampshire and Montreal is the closest city to it. I didn’t have a US business Visa yet so the client had to travel each time to Canada for any discussions. Now I may get my US Visa in January, after which I no longer would be restricted to staying close to the client.

3. My roommate of 4 years was moving to Montreal, so I thought it would be better to move with the roommate to a new city.

Now, I want to apply for CEC or FSW under express entry. I don’t have any intentions to stay in Quebec at all. I just won’t get healthcare in Ontario until my PR.

Moreover my employer is outside Quebec in New Brunswick.

Can I apply for express entry if I sign a lease for Ontario for the future? Say I sign a lease for August 2023 in Ontario (this is when my Quebec lease ends) and apply for express entry in February 2023, is this enough proof to show my intent of leaving Quebec? That way I would have to spend less time in Ontario without healthcare.

What do I need to show my intentions to move out of Quebec?
Any other suggestions would be valuable too. Share your experiences if you can, if you were in a similar situation as me.

indebutous45

Sep 19, 2022
CEC, living in Quebec temporarily and working for a company in New Brunswick.

I am on a PGWP and will complete one year of work experience in the next month.

I work for an employer who is in New Brunswick and I shifted and am living in Montreal since May.

There were 3 major reasons for moving to Montreal.
1. I wanted to live in a bigger city like Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal, but Ontario does not provide OHIP, unless you have an employee in Ontario along with pgwp. Quebec on the other hand gave me healthcare just on my pgwp. I can get healthcare from Ontario only if I have a PR or an employer from Ontario.

2. The client I work for is in New Hampshire and Montreal is the closest city to it. I didn’t have a US business Visa yet so the client had to travel each time to Canada for any discussions. Now I may get my US Visa in January, after which I no longer would be restricted to staying close to the client.

3. My roommate of 4 years was moving to Montreal, so I thought it would be better to move with the roommate to a new city.

Now, I want to apply for CEC or FSW under express entry. I don’t have any intentions to stay in Quebec at all. I just won’t get healthcare in Ontario until my PR.

Moreover my employer is outside Quebec in New Brunswick.

Can I apply for express entry if I sign a lease for Ontario for the future? Say I sign a lease for August 2023 in Ontario (this is when my Quebec lease ends) and apply for express entry in February 2023, is this enough proof to show my intent of leaving Quebec? That way I would have to spend less time in Ontario without healthcare.

What do I need to show my intentions to move out of Quebec?
Any other suggestions would be valuable too. Share your experiences if you can, if you were in a similar situation as me.
In my situation I explained how I have no significant ties to Quebec (just like you) and I only came to Montreal because it was easier to find an apartment (I work remotely for a outside-Quebec company). I also didn't explain my other personal circumstances as I mentioned earlier in the thread. A few weeks prior to submitting my letter of intention to reside outside QC, I had leased a place in Toronto with a friend. I attached this lease, along with proof of payment, as well as a letter from my current landlord stating that I had informed him of my intention to terminate my lease in Montreal. The next day my application was approved. This was about a month ago.

But you don't have to worry about this until you are invited for your PR. Also, you will be covered by RAMQ for out of province healthcare for at least six months (ref: https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/absence-quebec/know-which-services-are-covered-outside-quebec). I'd suggest that as soon as you are invited for your PR, you get a lease in Ontario and move (things will move fast from this point unless you have a complex application). That way, by the time you need to prove intention (the request letter comes almost immediately after you submit your PR application, you have enough proof to show them your intention to reside outside Quebec)

Last edited:

AV250

Jan 4, 2023
In my situation I explained how I have no significant ties to Quebec (just like you) and I only came to Montreal because it was easier to find an apartment (I work remotely for an Alberta company). A few weeks prior to submitting my letter of intention to reside outside QC, I had leased a place in Toronto with a friend. I attached this lease, along with proof of payment, as well as a letter from my current landlord stating that I had informed him of my intention to terminate my lease in Montreal. The next day my application was approved. This was about a month ago.

But you don't have to worry about this until you are invited for your PR. Also, you will be covered by RAMQ for out of province healthcare for at least six months (ref: https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/absence-quebec/know-which-services-are-covered-outside-quebec). I'd suggest that as soon as you are invited for your PR, you get a lease in Ontario and move (things will move fast from this point unless you have a complex application). That way, by the time you need to prove intention (the request letter comes almost immediately after you submit your PR application, you have enough proof to show them your intention to reside outside Quebec)
Thank you so much.
This means a lot.
Can I message you somewhere? I don’t know if this forum has direct messages.

it’s great to know someone in the same situation as me.

did you get your PR already?

indebutous45

Sep 19, 2022
Thank you so much.
This means a lot.
Can I message you somewhere? I don’t know if this forum has direct messages.

it’s great to know someone in the same situation as me.

did you get your PR already?
My application was approved. I'm at the stage where I'm waiting for my CoPR to be approved and my PR card mailed to me. Yes, you can message me. if you click someone's name you can start a conversation with them. But better to keep information here for the benefit of others (without giving out personal/identifying information)

AV250

Jan 4, 2023
My application was approved. I'm at the stage where I'm waiting for my CoPR to be approved and my PR card mailed to me. Yes, you can message me. if you click someone's name you can start a conversation with them. But better to keep information here for the benefit of others (without giving out personal/identifying information)
Thanks again for the reply

I will ask all general questions here

but in case I have any specific questions where I need to share any details I will ask them to you in direct messages

AV250

Jan 4, 2023
In my situation I explained how I have no significant ties to Quebec (just like you) and I only came to Montreal because it was easier to find an apartment (I work remotely for a outside-Quebec company). I also didn't explain my other personal circumstances as I mentioned earlier in the thread. A few weeks prior to submitting my letter of intention to reside outside QC, I had leased a place in Toronto with a friend. I attached this lease, along with proof of payment, as well as a letter from my current landlord stating that I had informed him of my intention to terminate my lease in Montreal. The next day my application was approved. This was about a month ago.

Hey again thanks so much for the reply.

Could you share what major and minor points you added to your letter of intent?

Also, except for the letter and the lease, did you add any other supporting documents?

My employer is ready to give a letter saying that I was temporarily in Quebec but don't require to be there anymore and they are fine with me working in Ontario for the foreseeable future

I plan to take a lease as I apply and shift before the invite.

Do you think any other changes are required? Like stop RAMQ, change SIN location (the original was issued at New Brunswick itself), get bills on my name in Ontario, change bank account addresses?

indebutous45

Sep 19, 2022
Hey again thanks so much for the reply.

Also, except for the letter and the lease, did you add any other supporting documents?

My employer is ready to give a letter saying that I was temporarily in Quebec but don't require to be there anymore and they are fine with me working in Ontario for the foreseeable future

I plan to take a lease as I apply and shift before the invite.

Do you think any other changes are required? Like stop RAMQ, change SIN location (the original was issued at New Brunswick itself), get bills on my name in Ontario, change bank account addresses?
- No significant ties to QC. Never lived here before, No property, siblings, relatives
- Job based outside QC. Because I was on non-QC work permit, I couldn't actually get RAMQ easily -- another reason for me to leave.
- Can't speak French. So I had difficulty doing many things here and integrating etc

- Nope, just those.

- If you sign a lease (and/or shift outside QC) and can provide it as evidence, I don't think you'll need to do all of this.

AV250

Jan 4, 2023
- No significant ties to QC. Never lived here before, No property, siblings, relatives
- Job based outside QC. Because I was on non-QC work permit, I couldn't actually get RAMQ easily -- another reason for me to leave.
- Can't speak French. So I had difficulty doing many things here and integrating etc

- Nope, just those.

- If you sign a lease (and/or shift outside QC) and can provide it as evidence, I don't think you'll need to do all of this.
thank you! You are really a stand up person for helping here because I thought I was the only one with a weird case like mine

just one thing I forgot to ask in the last reply

as I mentioned my employer is ready to give a letter stating I don’t need to be in Quebec and he is fine with me to work from Ontario in the foreseeable future

do you think this will help or harm my application? Do you think I should include it? If so, what should be the points mentioned in such letter?

jfernan3

Jan 18, 2023
HI,
I have a open PGWP. I temporarily moved into Quebec from NB, after getting a Job in a company headquartered in Quebec. I would be completing a year very soon and was planning on applying for CEC. I don't speak French and have no plans to stay inside Quebec for future.
My Employer may allow me to work remotely anywhere in Canada but since it is headquartered here is the main reason for me to move to Quebec. The other reason for me being here is because I have projects with a local utility, which sometimes requires site visits.
I'm planning to apply for CEC or FSW under express entry.
I wanted to know how could I prove that I don't have any intention to stay inside Quebec? (Except for the above mentioned reasons)
(I would also like to add something additional, I am also restricted from getting a PENG due to French language requirement.)
After I receive an invite does the application suggest me to move outside Quebec to proceed further with my PR process?

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Reactions: serjie06