+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any Limits on how much CASH can I carry at landing day?

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

Some countries have limits on how much maximum CASH you are
allowed to carry while entering their borders (from any port).

I'm planning to carry some cash with me (I have bad credit,
and afraid that my CC won't work in Canada).

So, planning to carry $8,500 CAD ... is that a problem?

(well, other than the possibility of getting robbed) :)

Thanks,

Mary

I

ImmOfficer

There is no limit to the amount of currency or monetary instruments you can bring in. HOWEVER, if you are carrying the equivalent of $10000 CAD, you must declare it to CBSA. Failure to do so will mean you cross with $0 CAD and that the receiver general thanks you for the gift!

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ImmOfficer said:
There is no limit to the amount of currency or monetary instruments you can bring in. HOWEVER, if you are carrying the equivalent of $10000 CAD, you must declare it to CBSA. Failure to do so will mean you cross with $0 CAD and that the receiver general thanks you for the gift!
Sorry... I need more clarification about this?

* > you must declare it to CBSA
What is CBSA?

and what will happen If i don't declare it to "them" ?

> Failure to do so will mean you cross with $0 CAD and that the
> receiver general thanks you for the gift!

I really didn't understand this...

Shall they "take" the funds that I have not declared?

Or they will assume that I don't have proof of funds? or what?

* If I'm carrying LESS than $10000 CAD, I don't need to declare anything?

Please forgive my ignorance of this :)
and thanks for your reply...

Mary

I

ImmOfficer

CBSA = Canada Border Services Agency

If you fail to declare currency or monetary instruments (signed travellers cheques, bonds, etc) EQUAL TO OR MORE THAN $10000 CAD, then it will be seized under the "proceeds of crime (money laundering) and terrorist financing act".

If you have LESS than that, you have no requirement to declare it. You may be asked to show it as part of the Immigration interview.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
If they seized the amount of money CBSA have to prove it's coming from money laundering and terrorist financing act" OTHERWISE you have 4 level of penalties that you have to pay depending on the total amount seized.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
If you declare it. They will definitely pull you over and question where that money coming from but are they in a position to seized it??? if yes under what grounds.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
I hope this helps:

Disclosure of funds
If you are carrying more than C$10,000, tell a Canadian official when you arrive in Canada. If you do not tell an official, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:

•cash
•securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills) or
•negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example, bankers' drafts, cheques, travellers' cheques or money orders).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

And at the Decalration Card you are asked to declare all animals...you also have to declare currency ... totalling CAN$10,000.00 or more. Failure to do so could result in penalties, seizure and/or prosecution.

But I guess you don't have to worry since you said you'd be bringing in CAN$8,500.00 which is definitely not totalling 10k or more.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Also if you are coming by land the border patrol guard will also ask yoou if you are bringing in CAN$10,000.00 or more. Part of the set of question they ask at the borders.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
If you are landing as a PR for the first time how much $$$$ are u allowed to bring???. Hopefully the money you are bringing is not taxable but the only the interest that you earning from it. Am I correct!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

MARLENA said:
If you are landing as a PR for the first time how much $$$$ are u allowed to bring???. Hopefully the money you are bringing is not taxable but the only the interest that you earning from it. Am I correct!!!
As much as you can carry. Only interest earned after becoming residence for tax purposes has to be reported on your income tax return.

PMM

Bogdahn

Jul 30, 2014
Kyiv, Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
Kyiv, Ukraine
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
~June'17
does it mean 10000cad for whole family landed, or 10000 for each adult? :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bogdahn said:
does it mean 10000cad for whole family landed, or 10000 for each adult? :)
In either cases, u will have to declare it anyways and show it during immigration interviews.