+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any humber experienced guy? Help me geta job.

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
This is worst. We intl students are of no ude to employers on campus because we have no workstudy and no one is willing to hire an intl students. Where should we go ? What are we supoosed to do ? If there is anyone who can assist me with job on campus at humber, please reply.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long have you been in Canada and at this particular campus for?

What were your expectations regarding getting an on-campus job?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
nssnick said:
This is worst. We intl students are of no ude to employers on campus because we have no workstudy and no one is willing to hire an intl students. Where should we go ? What are we supoosed to do ? If there is anyone who can assist me with job on campus at humber, please reply.
u have to wait for 6 months and get an OCWP and then work off campus....when u applied for visa u did say that u have necessary funds to support urself so u should be able to do that till u get OCWP. on campus jobs r difficult to come by. I have seen that most of the jobs go to people who have friends and have recommendation from friends already working on campus job. Also it is difficult sometimes to get off campus jobs because of international student reputation (work part time only, take holidays when they have exams etc).

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
Sukh wele shukrana, dukh wele ardaas... har wele simran!!
This is why CIC wants us to get GIC! This has actually proved to be a savior for many.

Wordlife

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2013
Doc's Request.
19-09-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
24-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
Sukh wele shukrana, dukh wele ardaas... har wele simran!!
raman4949 said:
i heared that there are many consultancy over there for cash jobs from first day?
Its illegal just like selling drugs is illegal and driving without licence is illegal. You can do it no doubt, its good as long as u dont get caught. Once u get caught u can face tons of problems... deportation being one of them! I would advice students to sit down and talk with parents and find a good financial solution for first 6 months of stay. On campus jobs r hard to find.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cash jobs are illegal as they are a means to tax avoidance. CIC is getting more vigilant and they are actually enforcing rules and catching people. Almost 99% of the time, it's someone you know who will report it to CIC/ CBSA that you are working under the table and that will lead to you being deported and banned.

Another aspect that a lot of people dont think about is that the person offering you the cash job is also breaking the law and they are also punishable under the law. It also leaves the worker in a pickle if a dishonest employer decides to not pay you. You have no way of getting that money without admitting you worked illegally. Catch 22.

Play it safe. Loan some extra money if you have to and return it when you work full time legally.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nssnick said:
International students do not need to have work study approval at Humber to get a job on campus. Go talk to all the facilities, give them your resume. There aren't 20000 jobs on campus so you are very lucky if you find one.

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
itstime said:
International students do not need to have work study approval at Humber to get a job on campus. Go talk to all the facilities, give them your resume. There aren't 20000 jobs on campus so you are very lucky if you find one.
They dont give, they say no intl applicants.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nssnick said:
They dont give, they say no intl applicants.
If the job posting on Humber's career website say that the job is for people with work study only, you can't apply for those. But any other jobs you can apply for AND, I was told by the career center that the employers are told that they have to hire at least one international student. Don't quote me on that.

But, have a chat with the career centre and make sure you can tell them which employers you have talked to on campus and who is telling you that they don't employ international students. Ask them to help you with your resume as well.

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
itstime said:
If the job posting on Humber's career website say that the job is for people with work study only, you can't apply for those. But any other jobs you can apply for AND, I was told by the career center that the employers are told that they have to hire at least one international student. Don't quote me on that.

But, have a chat with the career centre and make sure you can tell them which employers you have talked to on campus and who is telling you that they don't employ international students. Ask them to help you with your resume as well.
I have visited career center many times, got my resume acc to the standards here...dropped off to tim hortons, food court and some other places. Most of them are saying that its all filled up and no one is going to hire for this sem atleast....there is no way i can get any job on campus atleast for this semester and when the semester will be over i ll have my permit.

Naavy100

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-09
Doc's Request.
6-02-10
IELTS Request
6-02-10 - 7 Bands
File Transfer...
10-02-2010
Med's Request
19/11/2010
Med's Done....
7/12/2010
Passport Req..
19/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/2/2011
LANDED..........
22 April 2011
nssnick said:
I have visited career center many times, got my resume acc to the standards here...dropped off to tim hortons, food court and some other places. Most of them are saying that its all filled up and no one is going to hire for this sem atleast....there is no way i can get any job on campus atleast for this semester and when the semester will be over i ll have my permit.
There is a factory nearby "Give and Go" most of the international students work there . Otherwise try looking up for Tim Hortons or related jobs in Downtown Toronto.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nssnick said:
Tough luck. Considering this is probably your first semester since you don't have your ocwp, you should have been prepared for it. Jobs are not easy to come around to in this economy, even min wage jobs. Every Intl student should keep this in mind. Don't rely on an income from a job you don't have yet.
I would suggest you also accept rejection as part of the process and learn to carry on. You think its hard getting an on campus job?(its very hard anyways) wait till you go job hunting after graduating.
Take the rejections in stride and try to learn from them. Complaining won't get you anywhere.

Here's a tip: every job you apply to, thank them for the opportunity and ask for feedback on your resume/ interview/ application, regardless of if you got a job offer or not. A lot will not reply for various reasons but some will actually try to help you out by providing feedback and suggestions on how to improve your approach in the future. That's the learning curve and sooner you jump on it, you will be better prepared when it really does matter I.e. after graduating.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just_do_it said:
Here's a tip: every job you apply to, thank them for the opportunity and ask for feedback on your resume/ interview/ application, regardless of if you got a job offer or not. A lot will not reply for various reasons but some will actually try to help you out by providing feedback and suggestions on how to improve your approach in the future. That's the learning curve and sooner you jump on it, you will be better prepared when it really does matter I.e. after graduating.
WORD! Great tip.