+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any Applicants who were on EI->Applied->Received Citizenship??

bigben3

Star Member
Jul 7, 2011
Hi All,

Are there any applicants who were on EI during qualifying period, applied and received oath?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Hi

I personally know many cases with my friends that have been unemployed and got their citizenship without any issues.
Being unemployed is NOT a factor for disqualifying for citizenship.
Many newcomers have this periods because of the current state of the economy.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
bigben3 said:
Hi All,

Are there any applicants who were on EI during qualifying period, applied and received oath?
Logically, it should not matter at all. Every recipient of EI, earned that privilege by paying the taxes when he/she worked. Now, a part of that been returned to assist him in bad time.

May be I'm wrong but its my personal opinion.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Actually being unemployed for short or long periods of time as a PR is the natural result of the question against you being asked from the employer: "Do you have Canadian Experience?"

I am sure that the dominant part of PRs at some point here in Canada have been unemployed.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
I was on EI for 5 weeks, during the qualifying period -- no effect at all.

Maybe if I was on EI or something else for the ENTIRE time, even though it shouldn't have an effect . . .

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
They can't deny you citizenship because you got EI. At one time however, I believe they were giving extra scrutiny to any foreign travel during periods of unemployment. Not sure if they still do or not.....