+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Marrying Canadian

gjcoast

Sep 5, 2017
Hello, I am very new at all of this so I am very lost when it comes to immigration... I am an American and my fiance is Canadian. I have tried to do some research online and I've found that there may be a couple options for how I can move to Canada.

1) I could apply for some kind of visa and then marry him and move to Canada. Once living in Canada, he could sponsor me for PR
or
2) We could get married, I could stay in the states and apply for spousal sponsorship and once it goes through, then move to Canada.

Is this right? According to my research, I don't qualify for a work or student visa, and a visitor's visa only lasts six months. I do have an American passport. Does that count as a visa? Like could I travel to Canada and stay for up to six months with my passport? Any advice anyone has is greatly appreciated!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you could go visit for 6 months because US citizens are visa exempt. Can't work when you are there though.

TypsyGypsy

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
Also...just a heads up, I am a U.S Citizen and my husband is Canadian. We got married in 2014. We were married in the states. I lived in the states for the first year of our marriage, and my husband in Canada. BEFORE our wedding, my husband came to the states....for our wedding, and was questioned at the border, and was told he actually needed some sort of K3 Fiance' visa to enter the states, since he was intended to marry once he arrived. NO ONE EVER told us ANYTHING about such a visa, not when we got our marriage license, anything, so just mention that if he is travelling to see you in the states as your Fiance'.