+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am i considered a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada?!

Medgirl

Nov 12, 2013
Hello,
I've searched the forum a bit, but I'm still unclear on my situation. If someone could help it would be much appreciated. I am a Canadian citizen who was living in Greece for 5 years where I have dual citizenship. I was married abroad and had a child. I have just recently returned to Canada with my family. We are staying with my parents with the intent to move here. I would like to apply Outland to sponsor my husband while he is here as a visitor.

My question is am I considered "a Canadian Living exclusively outside Canada" since I have been gone so long? Or is that now not the case since I am in Canada? (I will be using a Canadian address on our application)

Also, how do I respond to the question further down form I MM1344 that says "Do you reside in Canada and in no other country?"

Further, do I need to apply to extend my husband's visitor stay right away? Or should I do it near the end of the 6 months he's entitled to stay?

Thanks in advance!

m0ltarovich

Jan 3, 2014
I know that to be eligible for health care you are supposed to live inside the country (maybe even province) for 6 month out of the year. But I know in practice that they don't really check that.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Medgirl said:
Hello,
I've searched the forum a bit, but I'm still unclear on my situation. If someone could help it would be much appreciated. I am a Canadian citizen who was living in Greece for 5 years where I have dual citizenship. I was married abroad and had a child. I have just recently returned to Canada with my family. We are staying with my parents with the intent to move here. I would like to apply Outland to sponsor my husband while he is here as a visitor.

My question is am I considered "a Canadian Living exclusively outside Canada" since I have been gone so long? Or is that now not the case since I am in Canada? (I will be using a Canadian address on our application)
You are no longer a "Canadian Living exclusively outside Canada" as you are now living in Canada. This is usually applied for Canadian sponsoring their spouses living outside Canada with the intent of moving to Canada.

Medgirl said:
Also, how do I respond to the question further down form I MM1344 that says "Do you reside in Canada and in no other country?"
You reply Yes since you are now living in Canada.

Medgirl said:
Further, do I need to apply to extend my husband's visitor stay right away? Or should I do it near the end of the 6 months he's entitled to stay?
If you are applying inland sponsorship, you should include the OWP application with the PR application. This will give your husband "implied status" as a visitor once the 6 month visitor permit expires and give him ability to stay without any penalty. Also he would be able to work once he gets OWP approval in about 11 months time.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
m0ltarovich said:
I know that to be eligible for health care you are supposed to live inside the country (maybe even province) for 6 month out of the year. But I know in practice that they don't really check that.
Not quite true. Depending on what province you live in. If in Alberta, you can get health care coverage right away. Other provinces like Ontario, you must living in province for 3 months before qualifying.

You do must stay in the province for 6 months out of the year in order to "maintain" your provincial health coverage once you qualify.

Screcch339