+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

am i allowed to work as visitor whilst immigration being processed

daisy0310

Nov 9, 2009
Hello,

I have recently married and moved from the UK to live in Canada with my husband. We have recently sent away our outland sponsorship forms and are waiting to hear something about it. I always thought that I shouldnt be working until my PR has come through and I was fine with that, however things have changed slightly and it would be great if I could actually work if i am able to.

So my question is, is there anyway for me to work whilst my status is still a visitor. I remember the guy at passport control said alot of people just assume they cannot work but actually they can, but I dont know if that would be if I applied inland or if it even makes a difference. Also I have heard of people becoming self employed and working that way, but again dont know if that is the only option.

If anyone could advise me that would be great. im not sure this is the correct place to post but thought i would try here first.
Thanks.

lynw

Jul 1, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2010
AOR Received.
29-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-07-2010
Med's Done....
17-05-2010
Passport Req..
25-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-09-2010
LANDED..........
23-09-2010
Nope, sorry :-[

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
daisy0310 said:
Hello,

I have recently married and moved from the UK to live in Canada with my husband. We have recently sent away our outland sponsorship forms and are waiting to hear something about it. I always thought that I shouldnt be working until my PR has come through and I was fine with that, however things have changed slightly and it would be great if I could actually work if i am able to.

So my question is, is there anyway for me to work whilst my status is still a visitor. I remember the guy at passport control said alot of people just assume they cannot work but actually they can, but I dont know if that would be if I applied inland or if it even makes a difference. Also I have heard of people becoming self employed and working that way, but again dont know if that is the only option.

If anyone could advise me that would be great. im not sure this is the correct place to post but thought i would try here first.
Thanks.
Depends on if you are applying inland or outland and if you have sent in an application for an open work permit. I am not very knowledgeable about this as it is something that you can apply for along with an inland application which, from what I understand, they process about 6-9 months after applying.

potcakes

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied inland, on the plus side you can send off for you work permit at the same time as applying for your PR. As soon as I was approved in Principle I got my work permit, even though I still need to wait for the PR to go through. I applied December 09 I got my first stage approval and work permit September 10. It is quicker outland but they assume that you are staying in your home country till its all sorted, where you can work, however as a uk citizen you can stay in canada for 6 months at a time, but you cant work, you can only apply for your work permit after its all gone through.

Its swings and roundabouts, you just have to weigh up what is best for you. On a serious note please dont work until you have your work permit, it just makes life 10 times more difficult for the rest of us. What ever you decide good luck!!!!

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sure you can work before getting PR status, but only if you meet the same requirements as any other foreign national wanting to work in Canada. Typically you need a job offer and a "labour market opinion" that shows the company has tried (and failed) to find a PR or citizen to fill the position before it can be given to a foreign worker.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

That said, if you're 30 or under, a very good option is the bunac working holiday program, as that lets you work in any job for up to a year (open work permit). I did that while my PR application was being processed. You may have missed it for this year though:

http://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/workcanada/default.aspx

You can also volunteer while you're waiting, as long as you're not volunteering doing work that would usually be paid, or taking away a competitive opportunity from a Canadian citizen or PR.

The other option (little known) is that you can work remotely for a company / organisation outside Canada. As long as you're not entering the Canadian labour market or taking specific advantage of the fact you're in Canada to do the work, you don't need a work permit to do that. It would need to be remote work (internet), something you could do from anywhere (not really needing you to be in Canada) and should be paid outside Canada to your UK bank account.