+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am a Manitoba PNP but just found a job opportunity in another province

stan_ca2010

Dec 28, 2010
Hi everyone,
This is my first time to post a topic and I'm hoping anybody can answer my query.
First off, I got my PR through the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program. I arrived in July and have stayed here in Winnipeg for the past 6 months. Although I have a job right now, it is just casual and it is not related to my HR/Admin background. And despite already having a job, I am still continuously seeking and applying for an Admin/HR position but still haven't had any luck.
Recently, I just received a call from a friend in Toronto, whose company is looking for an Admin person, and with her referral, I am almost sure to get that job.
Now I know that as a Manitoba PNP, I am required to stay for a certain duration before moving to another province or else, my sponsor (I am under the Family Stream and was sponsored by my uncle) will be blacklisted from further sponsoring other nominees. And I wouldn't want that to happen because I am also looking forward to his sponsoring of my siblings and cousins in the coming years.
However, I am very much interested to try this Toronto job to get that opportunity for an Admin experience, something which I have been hardpressed to find in Winnipeg. Besides, the job is just temp which will run for about 3 to 6 months. And I am definitely going back to Winnipeg, for the reason that I wouldn't want my Uncle to be blacklisted.
So here are my questions:
1) Is there any written rules or regulations about being a Manitoba PNP that specifies say, how many years you have to stay in the province, or can you find work in another province, etc.
2) Is the scenario of me working in Toronto temporarily an acceptable situation for Provincial Nominees without grave or bad consequences to my status or to my sponsor?

Thank you very much and any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What they made your uncle sign is this:

I declare that I clearly understand that the applicant(s) to the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program named below must make a formal declaration of their intention to live and work in Manitoba, that I will not knowingly support the application of individuals who do not intend to live in Manitoba, and that I will be prohibited from supporting other relatives or friends in the future if the applicant named on this affidavit (and/or any dependants) does not settle successfully and permanently in Manitoba.

So basically, if you ever leave Manitoba or your wife or whoever was sponsored with you, your children maybe, that means your uncle will be prohibited from sponsoring more people.

Now, maybe it's ok for you to leave temporarily because he only has to give the names and addresses/employment of the people he sponsored the next time he has to sponsor somebody. You should phone Manitoba PNP and ask. After all, if it's only a 3 to 6 month contract, that is not a very long time. Maybe there's no problem with that.

Also keep in mind that if you stay in Manitoba, you can also sponsor your siblings along with your uncle but you must have lived in Manitoba for one year to do that.

stan_ca2010

Dec 28, 2010
Hi Leon,

Thanks for your reply. Ultimately, it will probably be best for me to ask the MPNP Office with regards to the "acceptability" of my possible short employment sting in Toronto.

By the way, as an off-shoot to this query, may I ask you another question with regards to residency obligations? Is there any difference between obtaining your PR Card through the Federal Program or the PNP? Based on the forum posts that I have been reading up, to be able to maintain your PR, you can be away for up to 3 years in a 5 year rolling period. But since the PNP basically "requires" me to stay in the province where I was nominated (else the repercussions to my sponsor), does that mean that I also cannot travel to or stay in another country for say, 6 months or even up to 2 years, even if this is legally acceptable for me to be able to maintain my PR?

Thanks again!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A PR can sometimes come with obligations depending on the immigration class. Some business class has an obligation to start and run a business within a certain time limit. The only obligation with FSW is that you may not land in Quebec unless you have a transferring flight taking you elsewhere.

A PNP PR only has the obligation that you signed that you intend to settle in that province. Intentions can change and so I think they would have a very hard time to make that stick if you stayed for some months or a year in your PNP province and then left for another opportunity.

Still, as you have seen, they will take it out on your sponsor who would not be able to sponsor anybody else if some of his PNP applicants have left the province. I am not sure if Manitoba PNP can legally do this. It is not like your uncle has any control over what you do or where you live. Somebody may eventually challenge this in court. Possibly it would be replaced with a criteria that the applicant himself signs that he must live in the province for a certain number of years, possibly 3 years or until he gets citizenship but that may also be challenged by somebody who comes to the PNP province and can not find work there.

andymnv

Oct 21, 2013
Hi Stan,

I was reading your post and I'm wondering if you were able to get that job offer in Toronto and didn't affect your sponsors. I've been here in Manitoba for 1yr and 8 months and I do have the same scenario where I have a job offer in Vancouver (contractual job in Animation). I hope you (someone) can reply to this post as this thread goes way back in 2011.

Thanks.

katali

Jul 14, 2013
Leon said:
What they made your uncle sign is this:

I declare that I clearly understand that the applicant(s) to the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program named below must make a formal declaration of their intention to live and work in Manitoba, that I will not knowingly support the application of individuals who do not intend to live in Manitoba, and that I will be prohibited from supporting other relatives or friends in the future if the applicant named on this affidavit (and/or any dependants) does not settle successfully and permanently in Manitoba.

So basically, if you ever leave Manitoba or your wife or whoever was sponsored with you, your children maybe, that means your uncle will be prohibited from sponsoring more people.

Now, maybe it's ok for you to leave temporarily because he only has to give the names and addresses/employment of the people he sponsored the next time he has to sponsor somebody. You should phone Manitoba PNP and ask. After all, if it's only a 3 to 6 month contract, that is not a very long time. Maybe there's no problem with that.

Also keep in mind that if you stay in Manitoba, you can also sponsor your siblings along with your uncle but you must have lived in Manitoba for one year to do that.