Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
App. Filed.......
26-Jan-2012
Doc's Request.
26-Jan-2013
Interview........
25-June-2014
Friends, as my family is still in waiting, we applied for visitors, second time.
My wife and son, applied for their tourist visa, as they were visiting, US for vacations, and wanted to club the visit to Canada as well.
After, keeping passports with them for exactly a month, we received refusal. Our vacations, just went down the drain. Couldn't plan anything.
But, I've heard, that Canadian Parliament is soon passing a bill, where families can visit, during the process of the application.
In that case, Visa Office cannot deny the visa.

Emaan3

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
Visa Office......
London
If your circumstances have changed and you fixed the problem that was on your previous application, just remove the case from slow Appeal Court and re-apply again inside or outside (I don't know where your spouse is).
They think our relationship is not genuine.i don't know if it will be good to cancel and re apply

Emaan3

Star Member
Feb 6, 2015
Visa Office......
London
The wait for appeal is generally 2 years, a bit faster for Vancouver, and I believe, a bit slower for Quebec. You should have been assigned an IAD file number. You can call the IAD office that is handling your case and ask them. Or you can have your MP make a inquiry on your behalf.

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/contact/Pages/add.aspx
I asked for ADR they refused
I went to mp office they said they cant do anything in it.its been more than 2 years i asked for hearing date but heard nothing back from them.i think of cancel and re-apply but dont know if it would be a good step to do so or its better to wait.
My lawyer said i have to wait one year again for the hearing :/

SpottedDick

Star Member
Jun 26, 2017
Montreal
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-M
App. Filed.......
30-05-2017
I went to mp office they said they cant do anything in it.its been more than 2 years i asked for hearing date but heard nothing back from them.i think of cancel and re-apply but dont know if it would be a good step to do so or its better to wait.
I did it and it worked. First of all, we fixed the circumstances that led to the original refusal.
ADR has terrible waiting time, especially in Quebec. MPs are useless in this case.
Good luck to you!

wait_so_long

Jul 31, 2016
It's difficult to give up on your appeal, especially after you've already invested so much time and money into it. But it's not all wasted - everything that you've learned since then and everything you've put into building your case and addressing the visa officer's concerns will help you in putting together a much stronger application. Typical waiting time for new applications are supposedly about 12 months (for 80% of the cases), and if it's an estimated 12 month wait until you get your hearing ...

Have you done anything in the past 2 years to address the reasons for refusal in the refusal letter, and concerns detailed in your GCMS notes?

If you do decide to re-apply, and your new application does not include substantive changes from your old application, be prepared to be refused again, and end up back here in a year's time. How much time have you already put into this with your lawyer, and have you already put together your disclosure document with additional evidence, etc.? Are there any complexities in your case, or is it just that they don't believe this is a genuine marriage?

wait_so_long

Jul 31, 2016
I did it and it worked. First of all, we fixed the circumstances that led to the original refusal.
ADR has terrible waiting time, especially in Quebec. MPs are useless in this case.
Good luck to you!
I think that is the key, whether he/she decides to reapply, or wait for the hearing. You need to fix the circumstances that led to the original refusal.

Reactions: SpottedDick

Galano1213

Jun 30, 2013
PEI
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana Cuba
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
The marriage is not genuine
Marriage is not genuine is the standard reason given to most for refusal of application . Order the gcms notes that will have the actual reasons they refused You will need to address those reasons and prove them wrong

Reactions: Alicee

Ana Paula

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
I applied for my husband April 2016, they called my husband for interview January 2017 and he did not pass the interview, this interview was in Brazil, I started the appeal in March 2017, but now I'm in Brazil living with my husband, and I do not know But how long will I wait.
Today I received this email from my lawyer,
We wish to inform you that we have received the documents we requested from the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) regarding your last application for spousal sponsorship.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or require additional information.
I would like to know if someone is going through this same process, and if this process is delayed a lot, so I have been aware for about 3 years, is that true?

Alicee

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat
Interview........
17-05-2017
Re: Application got Rejected

1) the appeal has to be filed in canada by the sponsor.
- you have to wait for the rejection of visa letter to come in the mail from the home country visa office. The appeal must genereally be made within 30 days from the day the decision was made to deny the visa. All the info. Is provided in the rejection letter that your sister will receive by mail.
3) 1st step: file for an appeal; u don't necessarily need a lawyer to file for an appeal(that's if you can handle the paper work)
2nd step: IAD in canada will contact the home country visa office to send back to canada all the proper documents/notes/sponsorship papers of the applicant. IAD will notify the sponsor here of every step being taken. This process of gathering all the information takes 120 days.
- after the 120 days, the IAD in canada will review the information gathered and will decide if the appeal is to be given a; ADR(alternative dispute resolution) or full hearing.
- if an ADR is decided, this date will be scheduled within 3-6 months from the time u receive your blue book. An ADR is usually helping to fast track the processing the entire appeal case.
- if a full hearing is decided, this date will be scheduled about 12-16 months from the time u recived your blue book.
3rd step: additional proofs/evidence can be submitted to further justify the relationship to the IAD just as your ADR/full hearing date is getting closer.
4th step: after winning the case, the file will be processed either in canada(Ottawa) or the home country visa office. Processing time here varies.

Hope this helps.
I never got a letter of refusal from my husbands country Morocco . I got an email.

Reactions: Ana Paula

MARIE43

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
FAM
I applied for my husband April 2016, they called my husband for interview January 2017 and he did not pass the interview, this interview was in Brazil, I started the appeal in March 2017, but now I'm in Brazil living with my husband, and I do not know But how long will I wait.
We wish to inform you that we have received the documents we requested from the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) regarding your last application for spousal sponsorship.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or require additional information.
I would like to know if someone is going through this same process, and if this process is delayed a lot, so I have been aware for about 3 years, is that true?
You should get in contact with your lawyer as soon as possible to discuss the situation. Some sponsorship appeals go through an informal alternative dispute resolution (ADR) process. In most cases, a member (decision-maker) will hold a hearing of the appeal according to the IRB tribunal process. The appeal process involves two parties: the appellant and Minister's counsel who represents CIC. If your case is considered complicated and cannot be resolved at ADR you will have to go for full hearing. You can get a date for ADR in a few months whereas full hearing is longer. I appealed in January 2015 and my full hearing was in the first week of July 2017....so that can give you a time frame as to how long you have to wait.

MARIE43

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
FAM
GENERAL PROCEDURES FOR ALL APPEALS
TO THE IMMIGRATION APPEAL DIVISION (IAD)
The questions and answers below are to help you prepare for your appeal hearing. The following general information should not be taken as legal advice.

1. INTRODUCTION
Where will my appeal hearing take place?
Your appeal hearing will take place at the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB). The IRB is an independent tribunal. It is not part of the Immigration department, also known as Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and it is not part of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

Who will decide my appeal?
A Member of the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) of the IRB will decide your appeal.

Who will be at my appeal hearing?
The IAD Member, who will decide your appeal, will be seated at the front of the hearing room. You (the appellant) will be there with or without your counsel, depending on whether you chose to have someone represent you. There will also be a Minister's counsel from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) who may provide evidence, ask questions to you and other witnesses, and make arguments against your appeal. Any witnesses that you or the Minister's counsel bring to testify (give oral evidence) will also be at the hearing. An interpreter will be there for you or any of your witnesses, if you have asked for one. Members of the public are also allowed to attend.

Do I need someone to represent me in my appeal?
You do not have to have someone represent you, but you may if you think that this will help your appeal. There are often legal questions that need to be argued in the appeal and you need to make sure that your case is well supported by providing enough evidence. You should also know that the Minister's counsel will be at your hearing to question you and other witnesses, and make arguments against your appeal. If you have someone to represent you, such as a lawyer or a consultant, friend, relative, or trusted member of your community, that person must be available and prepared on the date of the appeal hearing.

Under a regulation in effect on April 13, 2004, if you choose to retain counsel who charges a fee, the counsel must be a member in good standing of either a provincial law society, the Chambre des notaires du Québec, or the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).

How will I know when my appeal hearing will take place?
You will receive a notice from the IAD to appear for the scheduling conference (Assignment Court). You and your counsel, if you have one, must be there on the date and at the time stated in this notice to appear. At that time an IAD Member will ask questions, to make sure that your case is ready to be scheduled. If the Member is satisfied that your appeal is ready to be scheduled, you will be given the date and time for your appeal hearing.

What will happen if my counsel and I cannot appear on the appeal hearing date?
When an appeal hearing date is set, you must be ready for the hearing on that date. If you can not appear on that day, you may make an application in writing to change the date or time of your hearing - but an IAD Member will allow your application and make a change only if there are very good reasons. This is also called a postponement or an adjournment.

You must provide a copy of your application to the Minister's counsel. You must also provide your application to the IAD registry office, together with a statement of how and when you provided the copy to the Minister's counsel. The addresses for the IAD and CBSA/ CICoffices are in the letters or other notices that the IAD sends to you after you have made your appeal.

In your application (which may be written like a letter), you must:

• explain why you want to change the date or time of your hearing;
  • say whether the Minister's counsel agrees to your request; and
  • give at least six new dates on which you are available for your hearing. These six dates must be within a time period specified by the IAD — therefore, you should first contact the IAD registry office to find out which weeks or months the IAD has available for hearings.
The date or time of your hearing will be changed only for a very good reason. If you do not receive a decision from the IAD on your application to change the date or time of the hearing, or if the IAD refuses your application, you must appear on the scheduled hearing date and be prepared for your appeal hearing. If you do not appear, your appeal may be dismissed.

If the Minister's counsel or the IAD registry office receives your application two working days or less before the scheduled hearing date, you must appear at your scheduled hearing. At that time, you may ask for a change in the date or time of your hearing but you should be prepared to go ahead that day if your application is denied.

Reactions: Alicee and Chynah

MARIE43

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
FAM

2. PREPARING FOR YOUR APPEAL
What must I show to win my appeal?
To win your appeal, you must show that the decision made by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) or by the Immigration Division (ID) is wrong in law or wrong in fact. Also, in some cases, the IAD Member may be able to consider humanitarian and compassionate reasons to allow your appeal even if the CBSA/ CIC or ID decision was correct in law and fact. It is your responsibility to show that your appeal should be allowed and not dismissed.

Do I have to provide any documents for my hearing?
Documentary evidence can be very important in helping you win your appeal. To show that the CBSA/ CIC or ID decision was wrong, or in some cases, that there are sufficient humanitarian and compassionate reasons, you may need to provide documents to be used at your hearing.

If you would like to provide documents, you must make two copies of each document (including any photographs or videocassettes). You must provide one copy to the Minister's counsel. You must also provide one copy to the IAD registry office, together with a statement of how and when you provided the documents to the Minister's counsel. The addresses of the IAD and CBSA/ CIC offices are in the letters or other notices that the IAD sends to you after you have filed your appeal. The documents must be received no later than 20 days before the hearing.

Before your hearing, the Minister's counsel will have provided you and the IAD with the appeal record. These are the documents in the CBSA/ CIC or ID file that are related to your appeal. The Minister's counsel may also provide other documents for the hearing, no later than 20 days before the hearing. You have a chance to provide documents in response to the documents from the Minister's counsel - these documents must be received no later than 10 days before the hearing. This exchange of documents is called "disclosure." If you or the Minister's counsel do not disclose documents properly, then those documents cannot be used at the hearing unless the IADMember allows this to be done.

If your documents are not in English or French, they must be translated. The translations and a translator's declaration must be provided together with the copies of the documents to the IAD and to the Minister's counsel. The translator's declaration must include:

• the translator's name,
  • the language translated and
  • a statement signed by the translator that the translation is accurate.
Even if you have provided copies of your documents before the hearing, you should bring the original documents to the hearing if you have them.

Can I bring witnesses?
You may bring witnesses to your hearing if you think this will help your appeal. Witnesses must be prepared to answer questions at your hearing (this is called testifying or giving testimony).

No later than 20 days before the hearing, you must provide certain information regarding your witness to the IAD and the Minister's counsel. In writing, you must:

• state the witness's contact information (address, and telephone and fax numbers),
  • how long the testimony will take,
  • your relationship to the witness, and
  • whether you want the witness to testify in person, by videoconference or by telephone.
If the witness is an expert, you must also include a report signed by the expert giving their qualifications and summarizing their evidence.

If you do not properly provided the witness information, the witness will not be able to testify unless the IAD Member allows the witness to testify.

It is your responsibility to make sure your witness or witnesses appear at your appeal hearing. To make sure that your witness will appear, you may ask the IAD registry office for a summons, which is an IAD order to appear at the hearing that the witness must obey. There are special rules for providing a summons to a witness, along with witness fees and travel expenses - for further information, contact the IAD registry office.

What if I need an interpreter?
If you or any of your witnesses need an interpreter, you must notify the IAD registry office either in writing no later than 20 daysbefore your appeal hearing, or in person at the scheduling conference (Assignment Court). You must indicate the language and dialect (if any) that you or your witness needs. The IAD will provide an interpreter for your hearing at no cost to you.

What if my witness is not in Canada?
If your witness is in another country, you may ask the IAD Member to allow that witness to testify at your appeal hearing by telephone. You must tell the IAD before the appeal hearing, and you must make sure that your witness can be reached by telephone at the time of your hearing. Since you must pay for the call, you must bring a calling card from your telephone company that you can use to charge the call to a telephone number, or bring long distance phone cards. Note that the IAD will not allow you to use any phone card with less than two hours' international calling time available. Also, some companies' calling cards may not work very well, and if there are problems, the IAD Member might decide to go ahead without hearing from your witness.

3. YOUR APPEAL HEARING
What will happen at my appeal hearing?
  1. You will testify
    If you have counsel, your counsel will begin by asking you questions so that you can give evidence related to your appeal. Before testifying, the IAD Member will ask witnesses to affirm (that is, solemnly promise) that they will tell the truth. Witnesses who want to swear an oath to tell the truth should bring their own holy book. If you do not have counsel, you may tell the IADMember what you think is important or you may ask the Member to ask you questions that the Member thinks are needed to decide your appeal. The Minister's counsel will also question you on the evidence you have given at the hearing because the Minister's counsel is there to argue against your appeal.

2. Witnesses will testify
    After your testimony, any witnesses you have will testify. This may include your relative testifying by telephone from another country. Any witness you bring to the hearing will usually be asked to stay in the waiting room and not join the hearing until after you have testified. The witness then will be called to answer questions. Your counsel may question the witness or, if you do not have counsel, you may question the witness or ask the IAD Member to do so. The Minister's counsel will also be able to question the witness and can also bring witnesses to testify. You have the right to question any witnesses brought by the Minister's counsel.

3. Arguments will be made
    After you and the witness or witnesses have testified, the IAD Member will ask you or your counsel to make the arguments or submissions in your case (explain why you think the evidence shows that the Member should allow the appeal). The Minister's counsel will also be asked whether he or she thinks you have proven your case. You will then be asked to respond to the submission of the Minister's counsel.
When will I know the decision in my appeal?
The IAD Member may be able to decide your appeal and give reasons for the decision at the end of the hearing. If not, the Member will tell you that the decision and reasons will be sent to you by mail at a later date, usually no later than 90 days after the hearing.

Reactions: Alicee and Chynah

MaryL

Apr 24, 2014
Land of Living Skies
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
30-10-14
AOR Received.
22-01-15
File Transfer...
27-01-15
Med's Done....
28-08-14 Redone 25-07-17
Interview........
21-05-15 DM 10-08-17
Passport Req..
05-10-17
VISA ISSUED...
11-10-17
LANDED..........
14-10-17
I never got a letter of refusal from my husbands country Morocco . I got an email.
I got the letter via email. This is what s means
You should get in contact with your lawyer as soon as possible to discuss the situation. Some sponsorship appeals go through an informal alternative dispute resolution (ADR) process. In most cases, a member (decision-maker) will hold a hearing of the appeal according to the IRB tribunal process. The appeal process involves two parties: the appellant and Minister's counsel who represents CIC. If your case is considered complicated and cannot be resolved at ADR you will have to go for full hearing. You can get a date for ADR in a few months whereas full hearing is longer. I appealed in January 2015 and my full hearing was in the first week of July 2017....so that can give you a time frame as to how long you have to wait.
I was just thinking too, she can't live in another country as appeal is being processed. She can visit. I have over the 2 yr wait I went back 5 times, longest I stayed was 4 mos. But I came back for work and lived in Canada. I mean like if she can live there now after appealing. Then she can live there without appealing and can lose appeal, or if they figure out she moved. Anybody else have any input. Alicee is another lady that said she was going to move. However I didn't think of this til now.