+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ALBERTA HEALTH INSURANCE

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI,

Does anyone know how long it takes to obtain health insurance card for my family. We will land by the end of september and have a pregnant wife. Our baby is due in november and we want to have the baby in Canada. We are waiting to have our visas issued in a couple of weeks.

Also, I am wondering whether my wife would be seen by a doctor/hospital though the health card may not be ready.
If not, do we have to pay and if so, how much? ANybody with experience?

Please advise.

Thanks
Peece

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you move to Alberta from another country, you should be covered from day one. You might have to prove that you reside there before they give you a health card so first thing you do, open a bank account, put some money in it and ask them to send you a statement. Once you have an official letter sent to you to an AB address, that is the proof that you live there. Their health cards are not complex, if you go to AB health office, they can print one on the spot. If you have any expenses for any reason before you get your health card, keep receipts and ask for your money back.

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. This is encouraging. I read somewhere that it takes about 1 month to receive the health card after you submit an application.
Was this your experience?

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
You are covered from Day 1,It took me only 2 minutes to find this out from the Alberta Health Website,OK assuming you dont know to google,Go to google,Type in Alberta Care Card,Then go to the section on Eligibility.Boom You are covered from Day 1,Was that Difficult???

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
pecimob said:
Thanks. This is encouraging. I read somewhere that it takes about 1 month to receive the health card after you submit an application.
What Province???BC is 3 months waiting,Some Provinces are shorter or Longer,Canada is a Federal Country with Different Rules in each Province,For example A carpenter licensed to work in Ontario cannot work as a carpenter in Quebec without a Quebec License,A Nurse from Alberta cannot work in Ontario.Get it,Different Provinces Different Laws

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pecimob said:
I didn't land in Alberta, I landed in Ontario, then moved to Alberta. You can apply for a health card in AB at any time after you arrive but if you move from another province, they will not send you one until 3 months. With mine, I had applied by mail, didn't get it, phoned them to ask, they couldn't find my application so I went down there and they printed me one on the spot. If you qualify for coverage from day one, you still might need a couple of weeks to obtain proof that you live in the province. A friend of mine got a bank to send her a statement to her AB address, possibly you could use a lease on an apartment or if you go to the power company to open an account, take those papers to show them. Once you have that proof, it is absolutely possible for them to print it out on the spot like they did for me. The health care card still looks the same, it's not laminated, no pictures, no special security paper, just simple printed paper and they print your name on it.

If they don't want to print you a health card and would rather mail it to you in a month, you are still covered from day 1 so you would just keep receipts and make AB health pay you back.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Exactly Leon,You have a wait period if you come from another Province,Since You will be covered by that other Province s MSPduring the Transition period..But from Another Country is Day 1 coverage

like0707

Oct 27, 2008
I dont know about alberta, but u better send an email to state, they will give you better idea, in my case i have inquired from Manitoba, they are paying for all expenese, ambulance,doctor's chckup, hospital charges as well as medicines, some deductibles are there, but they will guide u better, Manitoba health and healty living, Client Services representative.