Waived off
Passport Req..
30-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
Planned to land - May 2013
Hi All,

I would like to get your valuable suggestion/feedback regarding the proof of funds (POF) while completing out landing formalities.

I planning to take cash of $6500 each for me and my wife.

Can i take cash or should i prefer demand draft or travellers cheques ?

Would $6500 would be sufficient?( AM planning to stay in my uncle's place)

Kindly advice.

Thanks,
AINP01

Ainp01

Sep 5, 2012
CBE
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2009
Nomination.....
07-12-2011
IELTS Request
Submitted at the time of applying
File Transfer...
02-02-2012
Med's Request
05-09-2012
Med's Done....
30-09-2012 and sent NDVO along with PP,RPRF,PCC
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
30-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
Ainp01 said:
Hi All,

I would like to get your valuable suggestion/feedback regarding the proof of funds (POF) while completing out landing formalities.

I planning to take cash of $6500 each for me and my wife.

Can i take cash or should i prefer demand draft or travellers cheques ?

Would $6500 would be sufficient?( AM planning to stay in my uncle's place)

Kindly advice.

Thanks,
AINP01
Requesting a reply from seniors or experienced folks.

lakambini

Sep 6, 2012
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
na
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-03-2009
Doc's Request.
20-01-2010
Nomination.....
20-09-2011
AOR Received.
20-02-2012
IELTS Request
22-01-2010
File Transfer...
na
Med's Request
20-02-2012
Med's Done....
09-03-2012 and 31-07-2012
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
07-11-2012 (CEM received PP's 12-11-12)
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2012
LANDED..........
13-02-2013
Hello AINP01,

Were you sponsored by your relatives in Alberta? Looking at your profile, I can see that we almost have the same time line. We also started our papers March of 2009. And it looks like we have the same category by the looks of it. Unless you are under FSW (?)

Regarding your question, if you are under PV2 category (you can find that in your COPR), proof of funds (POF) can be any amount to bring in to Canada, because it means you are processed outside of Canada under provincial nominee with the full support of your relative in Alberta - so whatever amount you bring in is fine, unlike the PR's coming in under the skilled worker category without any family support, POF is necessary, at least $10,000 CAD for the principal and $2,000 CAD for each dependent. But that is not your question, if you're asking $6,500 is sufficient to bring in with you - it will be, if you're not paying your rent yet, if you have a reliable transportation or a cheap bus ride, and provided you guys will be employed within 2 months time. Depending on how you guys spend, that money is adequate if it's just the two of you. I brought in only $4,000usd, we are family of three, but we didn't spend much because we are living with my brother - however, the $4,000 was gone in two months time by using it on gas (my brother provided the car already), food and clothings, and basic essentials in life. And this is with the fact that I got a job upon arriving here, so had it not been for my job, the $4,000 will probably be gone in less than a month time, because my husband was using the car so much with all the job huntings. So if your uncle will provide for most of the stuff for the first two months, then your $6,500 should be ok. And if you have a job waiting for you upon landing, you can even buy a second hand car in kijiji, and leave some more change out of your funds.

Now you said $6,500 each for you and your wife... did you mean $13,000 for the both of you? Or $6,500 for the both of you? If you have $13,000 for both of you (since you said $6,500 each for you and your wife), you need to declare that upon landing in Canada. Anything above $10,000, you need to declare, whether in bonds or cash or even in gold form ;D if you have $13k, dude, that is more than enough for a couple of months :D

You can bring with you cash, demand draft or traveller's cheque's. Or you can bring combination of all of them.

P.S. Welcome to Edmonton soon :) that is where we are too.

Ainp01

Sep 5, 2012
CBE
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2009
Nomination.....
07-12-2011
IELTS Request
Submitted at the time of applying
File Transfer...
02-02-2012
Med's Request
05-09-2012
Med's Done....
30-09-2012 and sent NDVO along with PP,RPRF,PCC
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
30-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-11-2012
LANDED..........
Thanks a lot lakambini for your detailed information...

Am planning to bring 6.5 k each for myself and my wife..

lakambini said:
Hello AINP01,

Were you sponsored by your relatives in Alberta? Looking at your profile, I can see that we almost have the same time line. We also started our papers March of 2009. And it looks like we have the same category by the looks of it. Unless you are under FSW (?)

Regarding your question, if you are under PV2 category (you can find that in your COPR), proof of funds (POF) can be any amount to bring in to Canada, because it means you are processed outside of Canada under provincial nominee with the full support of your relative in Alberta - so whatever amount you bring in is fine, unlike the PR's coming in under the skilled worker category without any family support, POF is necessary, at least $10,000 CAD for the principal and $2,000 CAD for each dependent. But that is not your question, if you're asking $6,500 is sufficient to bring in with you - it will be, if you're not paying your rent yet, if you have a reliable transportation or a cheap bus ride, and provided you guys will be employed within 2 months time. Depending on how you guys spend, that money is adequate if it's just the two of you. I brought in only $4,000usd, we are family of three, but we didn't spend much because we are living with my brother - however, the $4,000 was gone in two months time by using it on gas (my brother provided the car already), food and clothings, and basic essentials in life. And this is with the fact that I got a job upon arriving here, so had it not been for my job, the $4,000 will probably be gone in less than a month time, because my husband was using the car so much with all the job huntings. So if your uncle will provide for most of the stuff for the first two months, then your $6,500 should be ok. And if you have a job waiting for you upon landing, you can even buy a second hand car in kijiji, and leave some more change out of your funds.

Now you said $6,500 each for you and your wife... did you mean $13,000 for the both of you? Or $6,500 for the both of you? If you have $13,000 for both of you (since you said $6,500 each for you and your wife), you need to declare that upon landing in Canada. Anything above $10,000, you need to declare, whether in bonds or cash or even in gold form ;D if you have $13k, dude, that is more than enough for a couple of months :D

You can bring with you cash, demand draft or traveller's cheque's. Or you can bring combination of all of them.

P.S. Welcome to Edmonton soon :) that is where we are too.

pak44/f

Star Member
Apr 5, 2012
PAK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Nomination.....
15-12-2011
AOR Received.
AOR(CIO) 24-05-2012
IELTS Request
18-07-12
File Transfer...
18-07-12
Med's Request
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
29-11-2012 additional form& ppc 05-03-2013 recived
Interview........
waived off
Passport Req..
PPR 1 05/04/2013 PPR2 07/05/2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2013
LANDED..........
23-06-213
Prepare for your arrival

When you arrive in Canada, you will be greeted by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

The officer will ask to see your passport and other travel documents. Make sure they are not packed in your luggage, and that you have them with you. This will help speed up your entry to Canada.

When you arrive, you must have:

Your valid passport and/or travel documents. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
Your valid permanent resident visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). The officer will make sure you are entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your visa. Please note that this document cannot be extended; therefore, you should make sure to use it before it expires.
Proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

The officer will ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada. They will be similar to the ones you answered when you applied.

You will not be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information, or if you do not convince the officer that you meet the conditions to enter Canada.

If there are no problems when you arrive, the officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. The officer will also confirm your Canadian mailing address. Your permanent resident card will be mailed to you at this address.

If you change your address within 180 days of arriving in Canada, you must notify CIC using this online tool.
Disclosure of funds

If you arrive in Canada with more than C$10,000, you must tell this to the CBSA officer. If you do not, you could be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:

cash,
securities in bearer form (for example, stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills), or
bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques or money orders.

What you can bring into Canada

Before you travel to Canada, see the CBSA website to find out what you can and cannot bring into the country.