+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After Oath....

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

Do you know what do we need to do after we take the oath? All of you who already their oath, do you receive any mails say like congratulatory letters, mails from municipal offices, election Canada. Do we need to register with Elections Canada and update our address?

Inmate

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Visa Office......
Paris
App. Filed.......
27-08-2018
Med's Request
30-01-2020
Med's Done....
06-04-2020
You don't have to do anything for Elections Canada, as you already check the box for this in your application (of course, except if you haven't accepted, but i guess you check the good box) :)

Just ask for your passport if you need one, you don't have to do anything more.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear_pnp said:
Hi All,

Do you know what do we need to do after we take the oath? All of you who already their oath, do you receive any mails say like congratulatory letters, mails from municipal offices, election Canada. Do we need to register with Elections Canada and update our address?
Take a deep breath and forget about all the hassle for sometime. Anything else(election....) can wait.

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks both. Yes I am very relaxed now and I did check the box in my application.

My question is still unanswered. What I am looking is did any one got any sort of mails after they took the oath. Reason is I dont wanna lose my mails and can follow if I do not receive those mails.

Any one? Seniors??

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
I took the oath on August 7 and I'm also curious to know if there is something I need to do.

I've already applied to get the passport and I've checked e-cas to make sure that the whole thing is over (it took a while for cic to update ecas to say that I'm a Canadian citizen, it got updated like a week after).

Another thing I've done was to check with elections Canada to see if I'm registered to vote. You can do this here

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=reg&document=index&lang=e

I'm still not registered, but since I've checked the box in the application, I'm going to wait a few weeks before checking again, and if I'm still not there, I'm going to ask to be added to the list of electors.

Beaver

Feb 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can vaguely remember getting a congratulatory letter from the local MP and that was months after the oath.

There is nothing else to do after the oath, only apply for the passport if you need one. CIC will do its job to update other government agencies about your naturalization.

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. Glad to see that you are on the same page as well.

Taking it easy after oath and chilling and what not is not the right thing. As a good and responsible citizen you need to take steps from your side to ensure everything is get done.

I will look out for that letter and make sure I am registered with elections dept and that my address is correct.

Do you know how can we update the same for local or municipal or provincial elections,

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
dear_pnp said:
Do you know how can we update the same for local or municipal or provincial elections,
This depends, of course. You can google "elections XX" with the name of your province and town and get the info. For what I see for Quebec and Montreal, it's probably easier to wait until there is an actual date for elections. Besides, it may be possible that they get the info from the federal election list.

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
I've just got confirmation that I'm registered in the permanent electors list of Quebec (about 6 weeks after my oath).

I didn't do anything other than choosing the option for CIC to update my information with elections in my citizenship application.

It's interesting that I still don't show up in the elections Canada search engine.

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
montrealia said:
I've just got confirmation that I'm registered in the permanent electors list of Quebec (about 6 weeks after my oath).

I didn't do anything other than choosing the option for CIC to update my information with elections in my citizenship application.

It's interesting that I still don't show up in the elections Canada search engine.
congrats montrealia ;)

mrdrs

Star Member
Aug 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi everyone... i'm new in this thread, i hope everyone here can help me on my inquiries...

me & my family(spouse & 2 kids) will take our oath on Oct. 6... any advise to us before, during and after the oath? i mean the things(documents, payments, etc...) to prepare for this day...

i appreciate so much for your concern... :D

Chrysss

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. I went to Service Ontario - and notified them of change in my citizenship status to be changed in Health Card.
2. Applied for Passport

That's all I have done so far.

Oct13

Jan 23, 2014
I changed my city just before taking the oath. What should happen regarding Elections register then?!

montrealia

Star Member
May 12, 2014
Mmm... It didn't occur to me to notify service Quebec of my citizenship. But I think the fact that the info reached elections Quebec should be enough (they are connected to the RAMQ, and I guess that's all that matters).

Did anyone here contact service Quebec to notify them of the citizenship?

hoping_canadian: thanks, and congratulations to you too!

mrdrs: Congratulations! For the oath day, just follow the instructions in your invitation letter... After the oath I got my Canadian passport and applied to nexus. But these things are very personal, depending on your individual situation.

Oct13: Don't worry. My guess is that if you activated mail forwarding you will get your documents and then you'll have a chance to change the address with them. If not, you can go directly to the website and register (for federal elections at least). You can always wait until the next elections and see. Many of these agencies are interconnected and chances are that your change of address was received if you changed your address with the health insurance of your province (this is the case in Quebec, for what I read).