+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Affidavit in lieu of parents' marriage certificate

marshall211

Dec 10, 2011
Hi All

For parents’ sponsorship application, marriage certificate of parents is needed.

- Given that my parents were married in 70s in non-urban India, they do not have a certificate of that kind.
- I have seen people on this forum talk about getting an affidavit done that will satisfy the application requirements.
- I wanted to ask if anyone would have some kind of format that I could use for the purpose.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

sevenseconds77

Nov 25, 2015
Marshall,

Here is one I found.....I am in the same situation.. I am planning to get an affidavit from a Canadian Notary.

We, Fathers Full name and Mothers full name " (Maiden Name) being duly sworn, hereby affirm and state:

1. We reside at "full address including country name".

2. "Father's First Last Name" was born in "City, State, Country," on "Day Month Year".

3. "Mother's First Last Name" was born in "City, State, Country," on "Day Month Year".

4. We have been married since "Day Month Year".

5. "Name of the person for whom this affidavit is being made" is our "son/daughter" who was born on "Day Month Year" in "City, State, Country".

6. "Name of the person for whom this affidavit is being made" married "Spouse Name" (Maiden Name if female) on "Day Month Year", in " city, state, India". We were present at their wedding. This marriage was the first marriage for him/her.

Sworn before me this ---------
Day of (Month), Year

___________________'
Notary

Reactions: amusingfirefly

Deepi333

Jul 1, 2018
In no. 6, the above affidavit says ' I was present at their wedding." Who was present is not clear as the affidavit is to be made by both parents who were themselves married....

Deepi333

Jul 1, 2018
Are they still accepting affidavits in lieu of marriages held in the 1980s in India? Any other acceptable format for Canadian immigration?

Deepi333

Jul 1, 2018
Are they still accepting affidavits in lieu of marriages held in the 1980s in India? Any other acceptable format for Canadian immigration?

HKIMM

Star Member
Apr 30, 2019
Hi Deepti333 and other members

Could you get any reply...

Please advise, since I am in the same situation..

Need parents marriage certificate, which was held about 40 years ago in India. Parents are here on VISITORS VISA..

What is the alternative in lieu of marriage certificate...

Quick response will be appreciated...