+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advise needed

brandon.smith

Mar 22, 2016
Hello Group,

I would appreciate if you could answer my questions.

My citizenship application got delivered on 17th April 2019 and I realized I forgot to send my IELTS form.

The same day I had sent an addendum and added my IELTS report form and send it by overnight courier and got delivered the next day on 18th April.

So,my addendum reached the next day after my citizenship application. Do you think they will link it with my application? and what would be the chances that my application will be returned?

Need advise.

cursor18

May 31, 2015
Sorry to say this but chances are high that they will not link your addendum to application
A person opens up the package, verifies if all docs present/complete and issues AOR. Else returns the application.

If someone opens the addendum, its a very low probability to look for your application and link it. If it were an online process then sure. But because its paper based and your application would not be in eCAS yet, no link would happen. Imagine taking your paper addendum and looking through hundreds of physical files to look for a match...would you even do it?

Of course there is the off chance you get a great officer who goes through the trouble of finding the full application and adding into it. But these are bureaucrats, not our mates.

My suggestion - resend complete new application with all forms/docs completed now. Rather than wait two months for a return.

Last edited:
Reactions: brandon.smith

brandon.smith

Mar 22, 2016
Thank you for the detailed response. I will prepare all my documents and send out tomorrow by fedex. I realised that i also forgot to check a tickbox in one of the application apart from my missed IELTS report. I am convinced that my application will be returned back to me.

So i will send out a new application, this time i will check everything before i send.

So once an application reaches there, when is the timeline of an AOR?

Last edited:

cursor18

May 31, 2015
Thank you for the detailed response. I will prepare all my documents and send out tomorrow by fedex. I realised that i also forgot to check a tickbox in one of the application apart from my missed IELTS report. I am convinced that my application will be returned back to me.

So i will send out a new application, this time i will check everything before i send.

So once an application reaches there, when is the timeline of an AOR?
6-10 weeks

brandon.smith

Mar 22, 2016
I want to update my details on my google spreadsheet. App sent: 20 April, Application will be received on 22nd April as per the tracking number.

Kindly make changes as i have sent a second completed form..

Kambiz2002

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
My advise (which is just my point of view and I could be wrong) is to wait for now. Yes there is a high possibility that your application would be returned. But you don't know that for sure. Also, from the the way you have written your post, it seems you had sent the application in a bit of a rush as you had missed a major document and a small mistake on the application. So why not "sleep" on the application for at least a week or two and try to find more errors. Maybe you do not find any but you might. Now what happens if you send a fresh application right now? Well there is a scenario for you:

Imagine your first application actually goes through: then you have a lodged an application for which you will receive an AOR. Now if you send the second application, as you would have thought that the first one is not processed, so you will likely answer the question "have you previously sent a citizenship application" as no. Now you have lied. It is not a major misrepresentation but still it causes confusion as you may not have the same person looking at this in the two incidences. Also, sometimes, confusion for the receiver can raise question mark and might lead you to receive a residence questionnaire (as I said you might). That could easily lead to about a year or two of additional processing on top of the normal 12 months processing.

So, my suggestion for you is to wait. If you did receive an AOR, then send a webform and explain the tick mark and attach a copy of your IELTS report just to be on the safe side (as no one might attach that couriered IELTS report to your application).

However, if you do end up of getting your application returned, now you do know all the issues and can send a fresh one not worrying about lying on the question I mentioned above. You will also know all the problems and small stuff that you might have missed on the first one. You may lose up to 3 months of processing time, but you will potentially gain 3 months of buffer days (if you are staying in Canada) which will help the decision maker approve your application faster. You will also gain up to 24 months of processing time by not receiving a residence questionnaire. Good luck!

Last edited:

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
My advise (which is just my point of view and I could be wrong) is to wait for now. Yes there is a high possibility that your application would be returned. But you don't know that for sure. Also, from the the way you have written your post, it seems you had sent the application in a bit of a rush as you had missed a major document and a small mistake on the application. So why not "sleep" on the application for at least a week or two and try to find more errors. Maybe you do not find any but you might. Now what happens if you send a fresh application right now? Well there is a scenario for you:

Imagine your first application actually goes through: then you have a lodged an application for which you will receive an AOR. Now if you send the second application, as you would have thought that the first one is not processed, so you will likely answer the question "have you previously sent a citizenship application" as no. Now you have lied. It is not a major misrepresentation but still it causes confusion as you may not have the same person looking at this in the two incidences. Also, sometimes, confusion for the receiver can raise question mark and might lead you to receive a residence questionnaire (as I said you might). That could easily lead to about a year or two of additional processing on top of the normal 12 months processing.

So, my suggestion for you is to wait. If you did receive an AOR, then send a webform and explain the tick mark and attach a copy of your IELTS report just to be on the safe side (as no one might attach that couriered IELTS report to your application).

However, if you do end up of getting your application returned, now you do know all the issues and can send a fresh one not worrying about lying on the question I mentioned above. You will also know all the problems and small stuff that you might have missed on the first one. You may lose up to 3 months of processing time, but you will potentially gain 3 months of buffer days (if you are staying in Canada) which will help the decision maker approve your application faster. You will also gain up to 24 months of processing time by not receiving a residence questionnaire. Good luck!
You are right its normally not advisable to send in multiple applications (for the same request). To do so he would have to withdraw the first application and reapply.

brandon.smith

Mar 22, 2016

Thank you very much for the detailed and scenario-based answer. I am quite hopeful that my first application will be returned as I had missed the IELTS form and forgot to tick one of the check-box questions in CIT002. so by these, I am dead certain that my application will be returned and not get the AOR.

So I had sent out my application today- a complete new kit with all the documents printed and cross-checking it 10 times before I put it in the envelope. It will reach on Monday.

In this case, do i have to notify through webform regarding my second application or just keep quiet and wait..

Your advice really helps me out and that's the reason i keep myself regular in such forums

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You must keep in mind , a person is assigned to go thru applications, that’s there ONLY function . Go thru them, make sure everything is in order , then go onto the next one . If a application received is not complete , it’s marked incomplete, pulled.
A friend used to work there , it’s all about processing . If someone sends in an important document without double checking it’s all in order ... well...

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Thank you very much for the detailed and scenario-based answer. I am quite hopeful that my first application will be returned as I had missed the IELTS form and forgot to tick one of the check-box questions in CIT002. so by these, I am dead certain that my application will be returned and not get the AOR.

So I had sent out my application today- a complete new kit with all the documents printed and cross-checking it 10 times before I put it in the envelope. It will reach on Monday.

Your advice really helps me out and that's the reason i keep myself regular in such forums
In this case, do i have to notify through webform regarding my second application or just keep quiet and wait..
I am assuming you pay again for the new application?

CIC has an obligation to avoid duplication of work or unnecessary costs in the processing of an application. Unless a client specifically requests CIC to process two or more applications at the same time, all applications will be held by CIC until processing on the initial application is completed. They will process your first application and when found incomplete it will be returned and thereafter closed. Then they will start processing the second application. They can decide to not return it and instead send you a request to submit missing documents (which means you will still have multiple applications)

There are times when clients decide to file a second application when they already have an active application for the same case type. This can occur, for example, when applicants realize they do not meet the residence requirements in the first application. In general, the CPC-S accepts the second application and enters a bring forward (BF) date until the outcome of the first application is known. The second application will remain on hold pending the outcome of the first application. The CPC-S usually contacts the holder of the initial file to determine what action should be taken depending on the circumstances of the case.

You have an option to withdraw the first application;
  • If the client chooses to withdraw the first application, the CPC-S will send a withdrawal form to the client. Once the signed withdrawal form is received, the CPC-S will inform the local office. The local office will return the first file to the CPC-S who will close off the file and proceed with any refunds. The CPC-S will enter the second application into the system and send it to the local office for processing.
  • If the client chooses to withdraw the second application, the CPC-S will send a withdrawal form to the client. The CPC-S will close off the file and proceed with any refunds once the signed withdrawal form is received.
  • If the application is withdrawn before the “capture” stage is completed, the total fee is returned. If the application is closed off after the “capture” stage is completed, then only the Right of Citizenship fee is refunded.
If you decide not to withdraw the first application;
  • If the client does not wish to withdraw an application, the client can choose which application is processed first. A note will be put on the other application and the local office or the CPC-S will hold it pending the outcome of the chosen application.
  • If the application is successful, the application on hold will be designated "incomplete", the file retired and the appropriate fees returned.
  • If the application is unsuccessful, the suspended application is released from hold and processing continued.
  • The client should be instructed to advise CIC if their application is unsuccessful in order to ensure that their second application is released from hold and processed promptly.