+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice?!?

AniaH

Jul 3, 2013
Ooooh what a life-saver this forum is!! I feel so normal here! That was pure therapy to read about head-popping stress. I seriously think I will go grey by the time this process is over. But hopefully this forum will help. I too am married to an Albanian, the love of my life and I cannot wait to see him in the flesh again but am learning patience.

I have a question for Katie if you still read this forum. I also met my husband in Greece where he was working illegally, or as I like to say without the proper papers. He was not deported but left on his own accord and returned to Albania twice and has now been there for over a year and a half. I will finally send my preciously compiled application next week. I have explained the circumstances that led to his working in Greece and I pray that the VISA officer who reads it has a heart and understands that he is not a criminal as evidenced by his clear criminal record checks from Greece and Albania. But I flip from feeling it's going to be okay to total paranoia. We have poured out the whole truth to them and stated plainly that yes he was in Greece for years illegally. I'm wondering how big of a deal they will make out of this and would it help at all to hire a lawyer? I'm not sure what the lawyer could offer besides telling me to write more of an explanation. I personally feel it's sufficient but then I read that some people have been refused.

I was so happy to hear that your husband did not have problems for this in his application Katie and I was just wondering if you hired a lawyer or just explained everything in your own words?

Thank you!!

AniaH

Jul 3, 2013
Anyone, Katie, someone else? Hello? Anyone out there? I going to send my application this week and I think I'm going to wing it and not get a lawyer's help. I see most people have done it that way. So fingers crossed. But any last minute advice is welcome.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
AniaH said:
Anyone, Katie, someone else? Hello? Anyone out there? I going to send my application this week and I think I'm going to wing it and not get a lawyer's help. I see most people have done it that way. So fingers crossed. But any last minute advice is welcome.
No one is answering because there isn't anything really that we can advise. You've fully explained the situation that led him to being illegal and now it is in the hands of the visa officer. Don't stress too much; provided you have more than enough proof that your relationship is genuine, it should be fine. For spousal sponsorship, they don't deny people on the basis of being illegal in Canada, so I don't imagine that his illegal time in Greece will affect anything. And don't waste your money on a lawyer.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AniaH said:
@ AniaH:

You posted your inquiry under a thread which was last posted in 2010. I doubt Katie is still visiting the forum to answer your question.

You gotta use some common sense. You should have posted by creating a new topic.

As for your situation, it is hard to say.

If you read the forum enough, you will find out many information and may be the answer you are looking for.

Usually, I don't suggest hiring a lawyer unless it is not your 1st marriage and you or the other spouse has previous relationships etc.

Tell the truth, explain everything. DO NOT NEED TO WRITE SOMETHING THAT THEY DIDN'T ASK.

Since Katie succeeded, there is good chance you will be too. Good Luck.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Because Katie`s husband got the PR visa even though they admitted he had been in Greece illegally and had been deported, I would guess that your husband will also succeed. It is really up to each individual visa officer though, so no one can be sure.

AniaH

Jul 3, 2013
Wow! Thank you everyone! That is really helpful advice. I know it's an old thread but I was hoping that it would alert Katie somehow. I didn't expect so many others to answer. You guys are awesome. And yes, I've started to relax that that aspect of it should be okay. It's a fine line however between putting too much info. and enough. I know you should address all the possible concerns they may have but I also don't want to babble. It's such a plain fact however that he was not in Greece legally and I hope it counts for something that we're being honest about it. I so appreciate all your answers. Good luck to you all!

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
So sorry I didn't see your post sooner! Yes we were just truthful and let them know he had been in Greece illegally. We also got the Greek criminal record which showed that he had been in Greece illegally and the dates. If you have any other questions please feel free to send me a private message one here. The private messages come through to my hotmail account which I check daily. Glad others were able to answer you! Again sorry I didn't see sooner. Also I think that because we sent lots of proof of our relationship it helped. By the end of the process I had been to Albania 7 times, my parents had been to Albania, lots of emails and phone records and of course pictures.

We didn't necessarily say why he had been illegal in Greece. Just that he had. It's very common for people from Albania to go elsewhere to find work. I'm sure it's something the immigration officers are used to seeing.

Really sorry to be responding so late! But truly feel free to send me a private message.

Katie

katie3234

Star Member
Mar 8, 2010
Interview........
No interview
AniaH

I just tried sending you a private message but it says that your inbox is full. I will try again later though!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Hi Katie and AniaH.

If you have any questions regarding PR let me know as I sponsored my wife from Albania. She landed June of last year. Feel free to PM me if you like. We went the inland approach and my wife landed in 10 months. I know our application is a bit different from yours but it can't hurt to ask me if you have any questions.

Screech339