Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
Hi Guys,

My situation is as follows;

I am getting married in a couple of days, and both my wife and myself will give IELTS again. If i do well enough, our CRS points will be above 450 and i can confidently expect ITA.

On the other hand, my wife to be just got admission to a college in Ontario for 2016 spring term.

1. If IELTS doesn't work out, can she make EE application alongside Study permit application?

2. I read on CIC website that if she gets study permit, i am entitled to open work permit for the duration of her study permit. Is this my right or will we still have to prove we are leaving Canada etc.

3. Can i continue EE application as married but she is not accompanying me (that way i get more points) and she just applies for her study permit to go to college?

Thanks in advance

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One_Topsy said:
Hi Guys,

My situation is as follows;

I am getting married in a couple of days, and both my wife and myself will give IELTS again. If i do well enough, our CRS points will be above 450 and i can confidently expect ITA.

On the other hand, my wife to be just got admission to a college in Ontario for 2016 spring term.

1. If IELTS doesn't work out, can she make EE application alongside Study permit application?

2. I read on CIC website that if she gets study permit, i am entitled to open work permit for the duration of her study permit. Is this my right or will we still have to prove we are leaving Canada etc.

3. Can i continue EE application as married but she is not accompanying me (that way i get more points) and she just applies for her study permit to go to college?

Thanks in advance
It's an interesting situation. Are you saying that your wife is the principal applicant on EE?

First of all, if she goes to Canada on a study permit, you are entitled to an open work permit with the same duration as her study permit. I have done the same for the three years my partner has been a grad student in Canada.

You can apply for EE, so can she. In fact, if you manage to get PR before she begins her studies, her tuition will be drastically reduced. We are in the happy situation of having the University of Toronto return thousands of dollars for this year's tuition to us, because my partner got PR in September. It really makes a difference!

Don't say your wife is non-accompanying. That makes for headaches, and it wouldn't be true, even if she is on a study visa. Remember that the EE application is only to get an invitation - in order to accept that invitation and apply, you will have to prove everything you said in the EE profile. Way too many people get obsessed with optimizing their EE points and forget that the ITA is only the beginning of a long journey to PR. With more than 450 points you will get an invitation. So just tell the truth.

The last, stickier, issue is that it is true that to get a study permit you have to convince the VO that you will return home at the end of the study. Having applied for EE, that will be a little difficult! But Canada does allow for such double intent - you will have to show that, should you fail to get PR, you really will return home. If your home is in a stable, fairly well-off country, or if you own property and have close ties there, you will be okay.

In your shoes, I would go ahead and apply for both.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
dobes said:
It's an interesting situation. Are you saying that your wife is the principal applicant on EE?

First of all, if she goes to Canada on a study permit, you are entitled to an open work permit with the same duration as her study permit. I have done the same for the three years my partner has been a grad student in Canada.

You can apply for EE, so can she. In fact, if you manage to get PR before she begins her studies, her tuition will be drastically reduced. We are in the happy situation of having the University of Toronto return thousands of dollars for this year's tuition to us, because my partner got PR in September. It really makes a difference!

Don't say your wife is non-accompanying. That makes for headaches, and it wouldn't be true, even if she is on a study visa. Remember that the EE application is only to get an invitation - in order to accept that invitation and apply, you will have to prove everything you said in the EE profile. Way too many people get obsessed with optimizing their EE points and forget that the ITA is only the beginning of a long journey to PR. With more than 450 points you will get an invitation. So just tell the truth.

The last, stickier, issue is that it is true that to get a study permit you have to convince the VO that you will return home at the end of the study. Having applied for EE, that will be a little difficult! But Canada does allow for such double intent - you will have to show that, should you fail to get PR, you really will return home. If your home is in a stable, fairly well-off country, or if you own property and have close ties there, you will be okay.

In your shoes, I would go ahead and apply for both.
Great Advise!

+1