+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

advice. legaly married

rajsitha

Mar 21, 2011
hi can someone please help. we all went to sri lanka and my son got married. there were more then 100 guest and there was a goverment official registra who documented the marriage. lots of photos and videos were taken. we came back to canada and have started the application process. my son is a canadian citizen and has a good job. when the visa for my daughter-in-law is approved we intend to go back and have another religeos wedding. Now someone is telling us that canada immigration will not grant visa if theres no reilegous wedding have taken place. ........what are we supposed to do now

airkdes

Apr 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am surprised, the religious ceremony is not a requirement as the civil law has upper hand (unless of course you are from Iran or somewhere like that). You can contest them if they refuse on those grounds.

melbell_28

Oct 2, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-11-2010
Doc's Request.
10-12-2010
AOR Received.
06-01-2011
File Transfer...
20-12-2010
Med's Done....
28-06-2010
Being a Sri Lankan applicant I know for a fact that that's not true. They do like to see both. But that's just for pictures and stuff. Really you have nothing to worry about.. Even if it is a Civil Ceremony, its all good as long as you can prove that it was celebrated by friends and family of the couple.

Hope this helps..

Cheers

PS - We have a thread for all our sri lankan applicants on this site. Please feel free to visit it if you have any questions or curious on the whole process it self. great place to meet people who have been or are in a similar situation.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t60979.0.html