+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ADVICE FOR FUTURE APPLICANT

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I decided to start this topic mainly to make it a guide/reminder for those planning to apply for citizenship.
we can all make mistakes at any stage of the process and depending on how big is the mistake , it could cost u a lot of time if not your citizenship. I was happy and feeling very confident to be able to remember all my travel records(I have all stamps and Boarding passes...), by chance I was looking at one of my passports and I looked at one of the luggage stamps they stick on the cover at check in then I was surprised to notice the date on it is not the one I used in the residence calculator. In fact I used the date stamped when entering my home country but I forgot that I left Canada one day earlier because usually flights from Canada to anywhere in the east are overnight flights. Fortunately I still didn't apply. That's how I decided to start this thread and collect as many advices as possible for future applicants and those in process as well. your participation would be highly appreciated.
Advice #1 First of all, don't wait till the last week before u apply to start collecting documents. Of course no one think about getting ready for citizenship application right after landing although they SHOULD.
Imagine we knew about RQ since we landed...I'm sure every one would have saved all bills and documents, kept track of all entries/exits, saved the old passports.... Now, if you know someone who landed recently or would be eligible in a few years , tell them to get ready and save all docs they have.
also make sure they don't spend over 1/2 a year outside of Canada(New Law!).
Advice #2 if you're not 200% sure about your entry/exit history, request the record from CBSA.
I'm sure many of you have some advices to share.
Thank you.

sinpguy

Jul 3, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2011
Nomination.....
15-12-2010
AOR Received.
25-07-2011 (by email)
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
02-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-08-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-01-2012
LANDED..........
20-01-2012
Thanks for this post.. I am excited to hear advices from experts here.. I am applying in April 2nd week as well.. Do we have to send extra documents? Do we have to sent passport pages that have stamps?

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think instead of sending many pages with stamps it 's better to send one page only which accounts for all your entries to Canada and that s CBSA report. Sending all stamps doesn't mean you're declaring all your travels anyway. Indeed you may be hiding or missing some travels (according to CIC agent of course)

pitu

Mar 30, 2009
calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2010
LANDED..........
16-05-2010
Great...i just finished collecting all documents except for fee receipt...

Great point about CBSA report....How do i get that report?

Regards

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pitu said:
Great...i just finished collecting all documents except for fee receipt...

Great point about CBSA report....How do i get that report?

Regards
You can request your CBSA border crossing history online:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-priv-eng.html

You need to select under the "PRIVACY ACT"
And for the government agency option, choose "CBSA" (note: not CIC!!!)

You'll need to send a scanned copy of your PR card (both sides) and the biographical pages of your passport (no more than 2 MB file size, PDF format)

You'll have to write a small statement in a box detailing what you're requesting (e.g. Border crossing history for a particular timeline with the relevant PR card # and passport # with which you made travels)

The request is free

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontonian2003 said:
You can request your CBSA border crossing history online:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-priv-eng.html

You need to select under the "PRIVACY ACT"
And for the government agency option, choose "CBSA" (note: not CIC!!!)

You'll need to send a scanned copy of your PR card (both sides) and the biographical pages of your passport (no more than 2 MB file size, PDF format)

You'll have to write a small statement in a box detailing what you're requesting (e.g. Border crossing history for a particular timeline with the relevant PR card # and passport # with which you made travels)

The request is free
I do not agree that it should be Privacy act - the requested information about the port entry information is 'your information' and you have the right of access to it. Privacy is when you are NOT the owner of the information and you must have authorization from the real owner to release the information to you (I believe).... Not that it matters when you are requesting your CBSA reports but these are something good to know as a future Canadian... It is under one Act (so it does not matter - just under different Sections)... every province do have such Acts...

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Goldline said:
I think instead of sending many pages with stamps it 's better to send one page only which accounts for all your entries to Canada and that s CBSA report. Sending all stamps doesn't mean you're declaring all your travels anyway. Indeed you may be hiding or missing some travels (according to CIC agent of course)
On the contrary, stamped pages are considered better proof. In a manual for CIC staff (see the link below) for assessing residency, they even require ALL passport pages (even blank ones) as proof for residency claims in doubt (probably to allay suspicion that some travels are not reported). Please see page 7 of this CIC Manual for GRANT of CITIZENSHIP which is an actual guideline for CIC staff:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/cp/cp04-eng.pdf

Here's an excerpt of the CIC CP4 Grants Manual (page 7):

Other documentation that may be required, depending on the individual case, (list is not
exhaustive):
 passport or travel document used to enter Canada, and any passport(s) issued after entry to
Canada. If a passport is necessary, the applicant must submit photocopies of ALL the pages
of the passport(s), even if the pages are blank
;

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
I do not agree that it should be Privacy act - the requested information about the port entry information is 'your information' and you have the right of access to it. Privacy is when you are NOT the owner of the information and you must have authorization from the real owner to release the information to you (I believe).... Not that it matters when you are requesting your CBSA reports but these are something good to know as a future Canadian... It is under one Act (so it does not matter - just under different Sections)... every province do have such Acts...
This is from CBSA website:

How to make a request under the Privacy Act

Requests for personal information pertaining to the requester and held by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) should be made to the CBSA under the Privacy Act. The requester must either: be in Canada, be a Canadian Citizen, or be a Permanent Resident.

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontonian2003 said:
This is from CBSA website:

How to make a request under the Privacy Act

Requests for personal information pertaining to the requester and held by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) should be made to the CBSA under the Privacy Act. The requester must either: be in Canada, be a Canadian Citizen, or be a Permanent Resident.
Here's the distinction:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-info-eng.html

The following requests should be made to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) under the Access to Information Act:

Requests that pertain to information about the CBSA;
Requests for information that would have been created by the CBSA;
Requests for personal information submitted by a representative (with a client's authorization/consent) where the client is or is not in Canada, not a Canadian Citizen or not a Permanent Resident.

ATIP is the one requested in your behalf by CIC, if CIC ends up doing the request (note the consent option in the citizenship application)

PakCan2013

Star Member
May 28, 2013
CIC scrutinize deeply if someone applying under 1100days,i know some of my friends they rushed to apply just after 1095 days and got so much delayed in process,one of my friend went for Judge hearing and Judge told him that you looks like in rush to get citizenship may be you are planning to go back home permanently after citizenship also the brighter chances to get RQ too,but choice is yours.

c0mputer

Star Member
Jan 5, 2014
Cornwall,ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if,i have never travelled outside of canada - NOT EVEN ONCE SINCE DECEMBER 2005 --DO I STILL REQUIRE SUCH A THING . i dont have any stamps in my passport accept my legal entry to canada and becoming pr with spousal sponsorship :(

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
c0mputer said:
if,i have never travelled outside of canada - NOT EVEN ONCE SINCE DECEMBER 2005 --DO I STILL REQUIRE SUCH A THING . i dont have any stamps in my passport accept my legal entry to canada and becoming pr with spousal sponsorship :(
If you have no travel and passport is nil then just fill out residence calculator with nil travel history. No need to send CBSA or all pages of passport. You should be fine as your case will be straight forward and likely will process rather quickly..

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontonian2003 said:
Here's the distinction:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/req-dem-info-eng.html

The following requests should be made to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) under the Access to Information Act:

Requests that pertain to information about the CBSA;
Requests for information that would have been created by the CBSA;
Requests for personal information submitted by a representative (with a client's authorization/consent) where the client is or is not in Canada, not a Canadian Citizen or not a Permanent Resident.

ATIP is the one requested in your behalf by CIC, if CIC ends up doing the request (note the consent option in the citizenship application)
thanks for the info., toronto

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
c0mputer said:
" This guy has an expired pport and never renewed it. What if he has another pport from another country and he used to travel with??? let's request a CBSA report for him." I'm giving you her the idea that may cross the agent mind when looking at your file. If I were you I would still get the CBSA report and send it with my application to save some time. It won't hurt and it's free.