+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for "engineers" applying to Professional Engineers Ontario for P.Eng.

square111

Star Member
Jun 19, 2009
Having been through hell and having spoken to many others sailing in the same boat, here's a word of sincere advice for Newcomers applying for registration as a Professional Engineer to the Professional Engineers Association of Ontario (PEO). Here goes:

• Before you decide to apply to PEO, STOP and research the Registration Process for P.Eng. designation in all the other provinces of Canada to enable you to make a decision as to which province has a process that suits you. It is immaterial as to which Province you live in. You can apply for registration to any provincial association regardless of which province you live in
  • If you make the mistake of applying to PEO, you will end up burning your pocket; they will assign numerous technical exams, even though you may have studied all those courses in you degree, or even if you degree is covered under a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) between Engineers Canada and the Accrediting Agency in the country where you earned your degree. PEO is the only regulatory authority in Canada which does not accept any MRA
  • If you have North American Work Experience (e.g., US Work Experience in Engineering), there are at least 3 Provinces which will consider that in lieu of Canadian Work Experience. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador and Saskatchewan
  • A word of Caution: If you have a US Degree, DO NOT apply to PEO. There are many people in PEO who simply HATE USA and would go to any extent to humiliate anybody or anything even remotely connected to the US...My Real Life Experience
  • You will find that all the associations other than the PEO are very open and extremely courteous and helpful. Compare this to PEO: EXTEMELY RUDE, NASTY and DISCOURTEOUS and NEVER HELPFUL, except to people of their own countries of origin or nationalities
  • If you make the mistake of applying to PEO and they assign you exams; and subsequently you apply to any other association, the latter will always make a decision based on the PEO assessment. So think well before you apply to PEO
  • Once you are registered as a P.Eng. in any one of the Provinces, you can always get P.Eng. in all the other Provinces

zanada

Feb 13, 2013
I'm going through the same situation. Prestigious US engineering degree deemed "below Canadian standard", assigned 8 exams appealed and decision maintained. Wish I had this information before I started the process. square111 and anyone else, I'd be interested to know more about your situation see what we can do to improve things.

Reactions: kaegon

CanEra

Star Member
Feb 8, 2012
Baroda,India
Category........
Visa Office......
NewDelhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/06/2013
IELTS Request
submitted w/ appli.
File Transfer...
26-10-2013
Med's Request
16-01-2014
Med's Done....
28-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2014
LANDED..........
Almost by June2014
Thanks for Very useful information.
Requested other experience friends on forum to share few lines of their experience - can add a great value for newbies!

LoL.

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
square111 said:
Having been through hell and having spoken to many others sailing in the same boat, here's a word of sincere advice for Newcomers applying for registration as a Professional Engineer to the Professional Engineers Association of Ontario (PEO). Here goes:

• Before you decide to apply to PEO, STOP and research the Registration Process for P.Eng. designation in all the other provinces of Canada to enable you to make a decision as to which province has a process that suits you. It is immaterial as to which Province you live in. You can apply for registration to any provincial association regardless of which province you live in
  • If you make the mistake of applying to PEO, you will end up burning your pocket; they will assign numerous technical exams, even though you may have studied all those courses in you degree, or even if you degree is covered under a Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) between Engineers Canada and the Accrediting Agency in the country where you earned your degree. PEO is the only regulatory authority in Canada which does not accept any MRA
  • If you have North American Work Experience (e.g., US Work Experience in Engineering), there are at least 3 Provinces which will consider that in lieu of Canadian Work Experience. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador and Saskatchewan
  • A word of Caution: If you have a US Degree, DO NOT apply to PEO. There are many people in PEO who simply HATE USA and would go to any extent to humiliate anybody or anything even remotely connected to the US...My Real Life Experience
  • You will find that all the associations other than the PEO are very open and extremely courteous and helpful. Compare this to PEO: EXTEMELY RUDE, NASTY and DISCOURTEOUS and NEVER HELPFUL, except to people of their own countries of origin or nationalities
  • If you make the mistake of applying to PEO and they assign you exams; and subsequently you apply to any other association, the latter will always make a decision based on the PEO assessment. So think well before you apply to PEO
  • Once you are registered as a P.Eng. in any one of the Provinces, you can always get P.Eng. in all the other Provinces

square111

Thank you so much for bringing this up. What you are saying is absolutely right. I have gone through all this hell and never recommend anyone unless they do not any other option.

Your information is very very helpful for the newcomers those who are applying for P.Eng. licence. I didn't know this before, and I'm totally agree with your comments.

Regards,
SISH7255

Reactions: Rahuldubey1987

ryan007

Star Member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi,
My experience with PEO is exactly the opposite.
I landed in Oct 2008, submitted my papers for PEO registration in Dec same year with all my college transcripts (the University I studied at is a member of the Commonwealth group) and work related experience letters (not in Canada, not in US either, overseas-India & Bulgaria).
Got my letter to either write my exams or appear for a technical interview to which I attended with two of my Project reports. Generic questions asked on ergonomics,environment were asked (based on my previous experience in developing countries) to which I had satisfactory replies. After qualifying as per the ARC and ERC's requirements, I attended the PPE(overseas) last August (after being granted an extension) and clearing the exam , I was eligible for a Provisional License which I applied for and secured. So whats all the fuss about ?

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
square111 said:

• A word of Caution: If you have a US Degree, DO NOT apply to PEO. There are many people in PEO who simply HATE USA and would go to any extent to humiliate anybody or anything even remotely connected to the US...My Real Life Experience[/li]
This is not just in Engineering, but also in all other disciplines. There are many many Canadians who HATE immigrants with degrees from prestigious US schools or programs. They will do everything to make you look bad or make their inferior native Canadians look better than you, which is really ridiculous. My advice to all US degree holders, especially from top-ranked schools or grad programs. Don't come to Canada unless you want to ruin your life.

Reactions: kaegon

square111

Star Member
Jun 19, 2009
Maybe they are more averse to and intimidated by people with degrees and experience from the US Universities. There seems to be an inherent acidic bitterness in PEO towards engineers from the US. These are the facts about PEO, a highly prejudiced organization. Maybe, engineers from India and Bulgaria have a bright future in Ontario, but for those coming with US education and experience, it's a mistake to have landed in Ontario and worse still, applied to PEO.

ryan007 said:
Hi,
I landed in Oct 2008, submitted my papers for PEO registration in Dec same year with all my college transcripts (the University I studied at is a member of the Commonwealth group) and work related experience letters (not in Canada, not in US either, overseas-India & Bulgaria).
Got my letter to either write my exams or appear for a technical interview to which I attended with two of my Project reports. Generic questions asked on ergonomics,environment were asked (based on my previous experience in developing countries) to which I had satisfactory replies. After qualifying as per the ARC and ERC's requirements, I attended the PPE(overseas) last August (after being granted an extension) and clearing the exam , I was eligible for a Provisional License which I applied for and secured. So whats all the fuss about ?

Mar 22, 2014
I am supreeth from India, I have completed my bachealor's of engineering(Civil) in 2008,I have a 6 years of experience in design of bridges,Now I want to work in Canada,when I try to apply online every company is asking PE licence,Currently I am in India,
My question is,Should I apply for Permanent resident(PR),then come to Canada,then apply for PE (it needs so much money which i don't have),should I apply for PR or should I find an employer in Canada(who ask PE licence).
ryan007 said:
Hi,

NewUser-01

May 7, 2014
Same experience...excellent project...in thermal engineering area..no flaw...guys did not understand...were rude, unprofessional...constant interruption, no idea what i did or i do...to them it is narrow field...does not cover all mechanical engineering area...will see what the result would be

Vats

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2012
Hay to apply for PEng do I required my transctipts etc if I have WES evaluation done for FSWP?

King_s

Aug 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Thanks for sharing your experience.

S.Zaman

Aug 24, 2014
Do Project managers with relevant experience in Telecommunications & computers engineering back ground also need to get registered?
Is this a mandatory for other provinces like Alberta as well? please advise.

wpgmb

Mar 10, 2015
I provide service to new internationally educated engineers for National Exam for any Provincial Engineering Society such as PEO, APEGM, APEGS and APEGA etc. I can provide solutions of previous exams from 2008 and onward. For the following EXAMS
-A5 Hydraulics
-A3 Municipal Engineering
-B4 Engineering Hydrology
-A1 Structural engineering

Text me or email me. at 204-557-2401 or smotasim@yahoo.com