+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for bringing my Chilean wife to Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
Right...I meant s-l-o-w-e-r, but I still don't see how 79% are processed faster. Sure, some of the 80% are faster but how do you know it's 79%?

Couldn't it be a much lower percentage than that?
Let's say there are 100 apps. The 80% posted processing time is obtained when the 80th app is processed. This means that the 79 apps done before that 80th app were processed faster than the posted time.

Ponga said:
Leads one to believe that it takes that long, for 80% of the applicants. Even changing the wording to simply say "...within x months", would be an improvement.
I agree that the wording could be better.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Let's say there are 100 apps. The 80% posted processing time is obtained when the 80th app is processed. This means that the 79 apps done before that 80th app were processed faster than the posted time.

I agree that the wording could be better.
Pfft...ok, but maybe that 79th application was processed the day before...making it 16 months and ~29 days. LOL!
The real question would be, what percentage, of the 80%, were processed substantially faster than 17 months. That's the question!

Yes. The wording is ambiguous as hell to me.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ponga said:
Pfft...ok, but maybe that 79th application was processed the day before...making it 16 months and ~29 days. LOL!
The real question would be, what percentage, of the 80%, were processed substantially faster than 17 months. That's the question!

Yes. The wording is ambiguous as hell to me.
Yes, maybe it was processed the day before. I didn't say much faster, I just said faster.

As per the last update (covering until June 30th, 2014), Mexico City was showing:

20% - 7 months
30% - 9 months
50% - 11 months
70% - 15 months
80% - 18 months

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
Yes, maybe it was processed the day before. I didn't say much faster, I just said faster.

As per the last update (covering until June 30th, 2014), Mexico City was showing:

20% - 7 months
30% - 9 months
50% - 11 months
70% - 15 months
80% - 18 months
Got it. ;)

DustinBrett

Star Member
Jan 21, 2015
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm mostly worried about her entry at the border as a visitor. I have 1 more question.

It says I can be a sponsor if I meet certain requirements and one of them is that I'm not getting "government financial help for reasons other than being disabled". Does the GST refund count for this because I applied for it on my taxes last year as I qualified for it with my lower income. (I had been traveling a lot)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DustinBrett said:
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm mostly worried about her entry at the border as a visitor. I have 1 more question.

It says I can be a sponsor if I meet certain requirements and one of them is that I'm not getting "government financial help for reasons other than being disabled". Does the GST refund count for this because I applied for it on my taxes last year as I qualified for it with my lower income. (I had been traveling a lot)
They are referring only to welfare.

GUILLE

Jul 12, 2012
My wife is from Argentina our application was forwarded to the mexico vo got an AOR they say processing takes 6 months.
they also requested an updated personal information RPRF, medicals. now does my wife have to send this info to mexico or can she just send it to the VO in Argentina?
what if they ask for PPR or an interview? does it all have to go to mexico ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
GUILLE said:
My wife is from Argentina our application was forwarded to the mexico vo got an AOR they say processing takes 6 months.
they also requested an updated personal information RPRF, medicals. now does my wife have to send this info to mexico or can she just send it to the VO in Argentina?
what if they ask for PPR or an interview? does it all have to go to mexico ?
The request should tell you where to send everything.

An interview would be done in Argentina.

DustinBrett

Star Member
Jan 21, 2015
I posted on another immigration forum and got this response from a man whose signature would suggest he's qualified.

WRONG!!!!!!!

REALLY BAD CONCEPT.

First your new wife or fiance will be sent right back because she has no intention to remain for a temporary period of time.

Or you could get married tomorrow in Chile submit the application outside of Canada. You get on a plane and come home establish yourself while the process is in progress. Then bring her here to visit friends and family in about five months from date of submission.

If no interview is called she gets Landed. APPROXIMATELY 14 MONTHS LATER.

Roy
cvimmigration.com
Are things as certain as he makes it seem? I see several people on the Inland Applications 2015 thread that seem to have done something similar to my plan.

If I go to the border with my wife and we have all our permanent residence and open work permit documents completed, fees paid with reciepts & proof of my wife's $10,000 CAD funds will they let her in likely?

I plan to call the BC & Santiago consulates and border agency with similar questions in hopes of getting positive feedback or suggestions of what documents will let help. She and I would be willing to buy a refundable plane ticket for 6 months from the time she arrives and tell them if the open work permit doesn't come in or we can't get an extension to her visitors visa then she will leave, and I would go with her.

Thanks for the responses so far and to this post.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Many American applicants on this forum have done this successfully. Someone from a country where until recently people needed a visa might have a different experience.
Have the PR forms ready or already submitted; pay and have the receipt with you. Buy a return ticket. Be very clear she is just visiting.
Still, I would like to hear from another person from Latin America who did this successfully.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DustinBrett said:
I posted on another immigration forum and got this response from a man whose signature would suggest he's qualified.

Are things as certain as he makes it seem? I see several people on the Inland Applications 2015 thread that seem to have done something similar to my plan.

If I go to the border with my wife and we have all our permanent residence and open work permit documents completed, fees paid with reciepts & proof of my wife's $10,000 CAD funds will they let her in likely?
No, things are not as he makes it seem. Canada recognizes "dual intent" - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp.

With your proofs and a return ticket, there is very little chance that your wife will be refused entry.

DustinBrett

Star Member
Jan 21, 2015
Would a refundable Greyhound ticket to Seattle be good enough? Chileans don't need a visa to enter the States for 90 days and it shows she is leaving Canada. Also its only $38 for a fully refundable ticket. Much easier to resolve then a $1,100+ flight to Chile.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DustinBrett said:
Would a refundable Greyhound ticket to Seattle be good enough? Chileans don't need a visa to enter the States for 90 days and it shows she is leaving Canada. Also its only $38 for a fully refundable ticket. Much easier to resolve then a $1,100+ flight to Chile.
IMHO, it's best to have a ticket `home'. Having a bus ticket to Seattle doesn't convince the CBSA officer that she's really going home, unless she knows someone there and is `visiting' them, en route home.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DustinBrett said:
As Ponga said above, buy the plane ticket; a bus ticket to the US really doesn't show much.

I bought my partner a $2500 fully refundable ticket back to the UK before we left; it took a 5 minute phone call the day after we landed in Canada to cancel it and a week for the refund to go back on my card. Pretty simple.

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
No, things are not as he makes it seem. Canada recognizes "dual intent" - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/dual.asp.

With your proofs and a return ticket, there is very little chance that your wife will be refused entry.
It is up to the officers discretion. I think it will likely be allowed because you will be married by that point. I think if you were not married but were planning to get married in Canada, and she is from a visa-require country, it might be more difficult/risky.