+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advanced Diploma x2

JimmySKW

Apr 10, 2013
If I were to graduate with 2 separate 1 year advanced (post graduate) diplomas (taken consecutively but from different institutes), would I still qualify for a 3 year rather than a 2 year work visa?

Thanks in advance.

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
Edited post: see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194.asp

Reuben T

Apr 13, 2013
As I know, if you take two consecutive postgraduate certificates within one college, they combine and you are eligible for 3 years open work permit. I am not sure if the same is true if take them from different institutes. I am also considering this.

JimmySKW

Apr 10, 2013
I don't want to pay for another program if I cant combine the course time to make a total of 2 years. May I ask how you know this or how your got your info? My understanding was that they could be combined... now I'm worried...

JimmySKW

Apr 10, 2013
From CiC

Revised program criteria

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

Note: Participating institutions include the following: Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school, or a private institution authorized by provincial/territorial statue to confer degrees (but only if the applicant received the credential in a program of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution).

Example 1: A student who obtained a one‑year MBA from a provincially or territorially accredited post-secondary institution in Canada after having obtained a one-year diploma, no more than two years before obtaining the MBA, would be allowed to cumulate both degrees and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

Example 2: A student who obtained a one-year diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained a degree in Canada at the same or in a different participating institution within the previous two years would be allowed to cumulate both educational credentials and therefore would be eligible for a three-year post-graduation work permit.

Example 3: A student attends a foreign post-secondary institution and transfers to a participating institution in Canada in order to complete their studies. Under this scenario, if the qualifying educational credential is issued at an institution outside of Canada, they would not qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. However, if they did receive their educational credential from a participating Canadian institution, they may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit only for the length of time they studied in Canada.

Example 4: A student attends their first year at a private post-secondary educational institution in Canada not eligible under this program but then transfers to a participating post-secondary institution. Under this scenario they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit program but only for the length of time they studied at the participating post-secondary institutio

Reuben T

Apr 13, 2013
I've been told this by different program coordinators in different colleges- Seneca and Centennial. Both said the same: for example, you completed one year postgraduate. In this case you have just 1 year open visa. if you cannot find a job after several months of searching (seriously, I think it's like a roulette- you win or lose, depending on your major. If it's business, you have thousands of competitors), you can apply for another postgraduate (note that you have just < 90 days to do this, so it's maybe safer to apply first and start searching after). if you do this, they combine, and you are eligible for at least 2 years open visa after you completed second postgraduate (2 or 3 years- it does not depend on you, the officer who will be processing your case will decide, so you can get either 2 or 3 years open visa). If you want to double check this information, you should better go to colleges and speak with coordinators, they know better.