+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

adding spouse after COPR

harrymann2293

Feb 22, 2023
Hi
I am in the situation where I added mine spouse but I didnt recieve any copr email but now when they ask for mine spouse medical and documents they are saying that there records indicate that copr has been issued and need it back to cancel them but I havent received any decision on mine file. Please answer if anyone is aware of this issue

Apr 3, 2023
I thought I would just post this to provide as up to date information as possible. I have a complicated timeline but will try add most things.

Initial Application as individual: 25 June 2021
Passport Request: 21 July 2022
Visa Issued: 1 September 2022
Informed IRCC of coming Marriage (Webform): 15 January 2023
Received request letter to add spouse: 1 February 2023
Spouse Upfront Medical: 15 February 2023
Marriage Date: 14 March 2023
Submitted Spouse Documents: 20 March 2023
Passport Request: 27 March 2023
Submitted Passport: 30 March 2023

I am really unsure why my application is being pushed through so quickly now but I am happy about it. My spouse had applied for Canadian visa before so her details were in the system. Also my medical will expire mid July 2023. So maybe that helped as well. Hope you all get resolved cases soon.

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
Portal email recvd on Dec 15,2022. Spouse Added on Jan 20th. Medicals Passed on Jan 23rd. No update since then. Processing the background check. Any idea how long it’s gonna be to receive biometric request for my spouse ?
Hey! Our timeline is exactly same/similar. Did you get an any update?

No_Expert5379

May 16, 2023
Hi,

I know someone who married after he got Copr and informed IRCC about his wedding. But when he applied for PR he was single and before he landed he raised a webform and said he is married and informed IRCC he is getting married in Feb.

He got a response from IRCC after the webform -

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that it is not necessary to provide additional documentation if you do not currently have an application in process with IRCC.

Since a final decision was already made on your application, the information you provided will not be added to your file.

If applicable, we invite you to include this information when you submit a new application.

He has landed here now and told cbsa he is married and told them as well that he submitted a webform but CBSA took his passport and copr. Can you please advise what are the possible scenerios?

Any help is appreciated.

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
Hi,

I know someone who married after he got Copr and informed IRCC about his wedding. But when he applied for PR he was single and before he landed he raised a webform and said he is married and informed IRCC he is getting married in Feb.

He got a response from IRCC after the webform -

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that it is not necessary to provide additional documentation if you do not currently have an application in process with IRCC.

Since a final decision was already made on your application, the information you provided will not be added to your file.

If applicable, we invite you to include this information when you submit a new application.

He has landed here now and told cbsa he is married and told them as well that he submitted a webform but CBSA took his passport and copr. Can you please advise what are the possible scenerios?

Any help is appreciated.
one cannot land if their family composition has changed, it counts as misrepresentation. Your friend should talk to a migration lawyer as this is a serious issue.

No_Expert5379

May 16, 2023
one cannot land if their family composition has changed, it counts as misrepresentation. Your friend should talk to a migration lawyer as this is a serious issue.

But he got this line in his reply from the IRCC agent and said file is closed.

what could he have done.

rajmehta1871982

Dec 28, 2021
hey all, I received ADR two weeks ago. Today, I received an email directly from Ottawa Vo asking why they have not received the requested documents yet. The due date on the all the documents in 30 days but it's only been 14 days since they sent me the document request. The visa officer has mentioned that I must submit these documents in 7 days. I have everything except for PCC which might take a few weeks to receive. I don't understand if the due date on the portal and the documents says 30 days why does the visa officer want the documents quicker?

The officers might be under the pump to meet the target, maybe that's why they sent me an email?
Has this happened to anyone else here?

I must add that portal has 30 days time but in the document request they have mentioned 30 days and 7 days

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
hey all, I received ADR two weeks ago. Today, I received an email directly from Ottawa Vo asking why they have not received the requested documents yet. The due date on the all the documents in 30 days but it's only been 14 days since they sent me the document request. The visa officer has mentioned that I must submit these documents in 7 days. I have everything except for PCC which might take a few weeks to receive. I don't understand if the due date on the portal and the documents says 30 days why does the visa officer want the documents quicker?

The officers might be under the pump to meet the target, maybe that's why they sent me an email?
Has this happened to anyone else here?

I must add that portal has 30 days time but in the document request they have mentioned 30 days and 7 days
You don't have a choice, its long weekend so calls won't get through till Tuesday. Webforms took ages to get replied. I would suggest to submit all of them along with the proofs that you have applied and in the meantime I would suggest to submit old PCC, you never know it goes through successfully.

Soheezy1

May 31, 2023
Hello everyone , I am currently a CEC applicant eagerly waiting for my eCoPR. Recently, I received Portal 1 email on June 2nd and Portal 2 with credentials on June 5th and expecting to receive eCoPR soon . Here's my situation: I am planning to get married, and my partner is already in Canada on a temporary resident visa. However, we have decided not to include her in my current application and instead apply for spousal sponsorship separately due to delayed processing for the same and travel reasons.

My question is: If I were to get married after receiving eCoPR but before receiving my PR card, what would happen? Would my eCoPR be canceled, and would they request my partner's documents for sponsorship?

I appreciate any insights or experiences you can share regarding this matter. Thank you in advance for your help!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone , I am currently a CEC applicant eagerly waiting for my eCoPR. Recently, I received Portal 1 email on June 2nd and Portal 2 with credentials on June 5th and expecting to receive eCoPR soon . Here's my situation: I am planning to get married, and my partner is already in Canada on a temporary resident visa. However, we have decided not to include her in my current application and instead apply for spousal sponsorship separately due to delayed processing for the same and travel reasons.

My question is: If I were to get married after receiving eCoPR but before receiving my PR card, what would happen? Would my eCoPR be canceled, and would they request my partner's documents for sponsorship?

I appreciate any insights or experiences you can share regarding this matter. Thank you in advance for your help!
You have two options:

1. Get married ASAP and add her to your application BEFORE you actually land as a PR! If you get married and do not add her, you will never be able to sponsor her. Since the eCoPR `thingy' is rather new, I'm not sure if you'd even have time to add her.

2. Land and then get married. Sponsor her for PR, BUT...it may impact your travel plans if you submit an Inland spousal sponsorship (SCPLC), because the applicant is cautioned to remain in Canada during the process. Brief trips outside (maybe a couple of weeks, max) are usually not a problem, BUT...if CBSA refuses re-entry, the application is toast.

Good luck!

Soheezy1

May 31, 2023
You have two options:

1. Get married ASAP and add her to your application BEFORE you actually land as a PR! If you get married and do not add her, you will never be able to sponsor her. Since the eCoPR `thingy' is rather new, I'm not sure if you'd even have time to add her.

2. Land and then get married. Sponsor her for PR, BUT...it may impact your travel plans if you submit an Inland spousal sponsorship (SCPLC), because the applicant is cautioned to remain in Canada during the process. Brief trips outside (maybe a couple of weeks, max) are usually not a problem, BUT...if CBSA refuses re-entry, the application is toast.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response. We are looking to go for the 2nd option and based on what you said and other threads that I have read, it seems like eCoPR is basically virtual landing and if I inform IRCC after getting it I would only have an option to sponsor my spouse which is what we want.

Eso55

Star Member
Mar 20, 2023
I thought I would just post this to provide as up to date information as possible. I have a complicated timeline but will try add most things.

Initial Application as individual: 25 June 2021
Passport Request: 21 July 2022
Visa Issued: 1 September 2022
Informed IRCC of coming Marriage (Webform): 15 January 2023
Received request letter to add spouse: 1 February 2023
Spouse Upfront Medical: 15 February 2023
Marriage Date: 14 March 2023
Submitted Spouse Documents: 20 March 2023
Passport Request: 27 March 2023
Submitted Passport: 30 March 2023

I am really unsure why my application is being pushed through so quickly now but I am happy about it. My spouse had applied for Canadian visa before so her details were in the system. Also my medical will expire mid July 2023. So maybe that helped as well. Hope you all get resolved cases soon.
Hello mate, congrats on your PPR
How many days did IRCC give you to submit spouse documents?

medchen23

Jul 11, 2023
Hi guys,
Thank you very much for this very informative discussion.
I got my COPR on May 1st 2023, but while waiting I got married on April and sent a webform to IRCC on May 11th with the documents (imm forms, marriage certificate, PCC for wife,...etc.).
It's been 2 months and still no change on my CIC account neither a feedback about the status of processing my application.
My COPR will expire on November 23rd and I was wondering if IRCC should receive the payment as well with other documents to start processing the application for adding my wife.
So, based on your experience could you please tell me at what stage we should pay the fees? Should we wait after IRCC replies to the webform? or can we pay online and send the receipt along with the other documents of the spouse via the webform?
Thank you in advance for your great support.

Last edited: