+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding a "-" to my surname for my Citizenship application

trustem1

Star Member
Oct 4, 2014
Hi all,
I am about to apply for the Canadian Citizenship soon (end of April 2024) and I am just wondering can I somehow request in the application to modify my surname by adding a "-" ?

My original passport (the one I used to immigrate to Canada) has a "-" in my surname but when I applied for Express Entry few years ago I couldn't add the "-" in the application form. To clarify what i mean:
My surname in my original passport = "AL-ABC"
But my surname in my PR = "ALABC" , i.e. same spelling but without the "-". However I want my Canadian Citizenship surname to match my original passport.

I am hoping that this is an easy request and I don't have to go through the COPR/PR amendment request application which takes 29 weeks (just got to know about this today)!!

Any experience with a similar case? Appreciate your advice.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all,
I am about to apply for the Canadian Citizenship soon (end of April 2024) and I am just wondering can I somehow request in the application to modify my surname by adding a "-" ?

My original passport (the one I used to immigrate to Canada) has a "-" in my surname but when I applied for Express Entry few years ago I couldn't add the "-" in the application form. To clarify what i mean:
My surname in my original passport = "AL-ABC"
But my surname in my PR = "ALABC" , i.e. same spelling but without the "-". However I want my Canadian Citizenship surname to match my original passport.
I think the issue you are running into is that hyphens may not be an allowed character, eg I am fairly sure they are not allowed in passports, can't find what is allowed in citizenship certificate.

If you want them to be separate, put a space.

You can use your hyphen / punctuation however you like in daily life, if - of course - supported by the institutions you're dealing with.

If you can find different somewhere, let us know here.