+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada... but not my sponsor?

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Hi everyone.. it's been a really long time since I've been here. It's been a long journey too. To make a VERY long story short... it didn't work out between my first spouse (and PR sponsor) and I. I filed for divorce. After filing, I met a man and we left Canada to teach in Asia. This man is a natural born Canadian citizen. My divorce was finalized and we got married in Asia. About 6 months after that. we ended up returning to the United States, where he is a green card holder. We would like to keep our options open in the future in terms of my Canadian PR. I still have 1.5 years before I have to renew. I am about 35 days short of my residency requirement if I count my physical presence in Canada.

My question is about the option of counting days being abroad if accompanied by a Canadian spouse. Does this still apply in spite of the fact that my current Canadian spouse was not my PR sponsor? Has anyone else renewed their PR card this way?

Thanks for any advice you may have :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't matter how you originally got your PR, as long as you have at least 730 days in the past 5 years of accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse overseas, your PR is still good.