Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/4/2011
AOR Received.
12/5/2011
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
Hey Guys,

Does any one have an idea about the rent in Halifax !? How much does it cost in average ? and How is the life in Halifax !?

Thanks in advanced

tiger007

Champion Member
ras782 said:
Hey Guys,

Does any one have an idea about the rent in Halifax !? How much does it cost in average ? and How is the life in Halifax !?

Thanks in advanced
Hi,

Search the internet. For real life idea on rents, check online classifieds such as kijiji.com

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/f-real-estate-room-rental-roommates-W0QQCatIdZ36

ras782

Star Member
May 26, 2011
Amman,Jordan
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw,Poland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/4/2011
AOR Received.
12/5/2011
IELTS Request
sting said:
Which Uni you are going to? I am going to HFX too
I am going to Dalhousie University, what about you ?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
That's where I went. Go Tigers. :D
Rent in Halifax varies depending on the area, proximity to schools/universities or amenities. The Quinpool area is an attractive one to students. It's about 20-25mins walk to Dalhousie. There's a grocery store, video rentals store, restaurants, Canadian tire, liquor store, the hospital is closeby, not far from downtown and public transport is available. Bus #42 takes you right to campus and only runs from September - April. The #1, 14, 80, 81, 17, 18 will take you very close too.

The main apartment buildings in the area are Quinpool Towers, Quinpool Court(http://www.killamproperties.com/), The Welsford, etc. Rent can be up to $1100 for 1 bedroom apt and up to $975/month for 2 bedroom apt - heat & hot water included. You have to pay for power(lights & cooking) and utilities(phone, internet, cable tv) separately. Most students reduce cost by sharing a 2 or 3 bedroom apt. There are also private residences for rent in the area.

In the South End of Halifax, is Fenwick Towers: http://www.fenwicktower.ca/ , also Peter Green Hall: http://petergreenhall.dal.ca/ ( check if you qualify to live there), Churchhill apartments, etc. There are 2 grocery stores and a hospital in the area. Browse the Dalhouse off-campus accomodation listings as well.

There is airport pick-up service arranged by the school but you have to sign up for it. I think it's free. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

ras782 said:
I am going to Dalhousie University, what about you ?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Actually, what I meant is I went to Dalhousie University. :D

tiger007 said:
:D That's probably the 1st place, we all look when searching for rooms/roommates/accommodation in Canada!

ras782

Star Member
May 26, 2011
Amman,Jordan
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw,Poland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/4/2011
AOR Received.
12/5/2011
IELTS Request
SenoritaBella said:
That's where I went. Go Tigers. :D
Rent in Halifax varies depending on the area, proximity to schools/universities or amenities. The Quinpool area is an attractive one to students. It's about 20-25mins walk to Dalhousie. There's a grocery store, video rentals store, restaurants, Canadian tire, liquor store, the hospital is closeby, not far from downtown and public transport is available. Bus #42 takes you right to campus and only runs from September - April. The #1, 14, 80, 81, 17, 18 will take you very close too.

The main apartment buildings in the area are Quinpool Towers, Quinpool Court(http://www.killamproperties.com/), The Welsford, etc. Rent can be up to $1100 for 1 bedroom apt and up to $975/month for 2 bedroom apt - heat & hot water included. You have to pay for power(lights & cooking) and utilities(phone, internet, cable tv) separately. Most students reduce cost by sharing a 2 or 3 bedroom apt. There are also private residences for rent in the area.

In the South End of Halifax, is Fenwick Towers: http://www.fenwicktower.ca/ , also Peter Green Hall: http://petergreenhall.dal.ca/ ( check if you qualify to live there), Churchhill apartments, etc. There are 2 grocery stores and a hospital in the area. Browse the Dalhouse off-campus accomodation listings as well.

There is airport pick-up service arranged by the school but you have to sign up for it. I think it's free. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
Thank you so much for your informative reply. + 1 for you, eventhough you deserve a 100 +1. I'll definitly meet you in Halifax if you still live there.

Is it easy to find a part-time job in Halifax !? and how much do they pay for an hour !? one more question about activities, nightlife and entertainment ! doy you enjoy your life in Halifax !? 8)

Again Thank you so much for your help

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The economy is bad everywhere but there are jobs if you are willing to work hard. I think minimum wage is now about $9.50/hour in Nova Scotia. They are doing more to retain foreign students in Halifax. So become a part of the community by being active in events, church, etc. Sometimes, it's who you know that can help you get a good job. Check your inbox for answers to the other questions.
Goodluck with everyone and I'm sure you will love it.

ras782 said:
Thank you so much for your informative reply. + 1 for you, eventhough you deserve a 100 +1. I'll definitly meet you in Halifax if you still live there.

Is it easy to find a part-time job in Halifax !? and how much do they pay for an hour !? one more question about activities, nightlife and entertainment ! doy you enjoy your life in Halifax !? 8)

Again Thank you so much for your help

ss789

Star Member
May 20, 2012
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2012
File Transfer...
08-06-2012
Med's Request
29-06-2012
I went to highschool in Halifax, and 90% of my highschool friends that stayed for uni in Halifax are working in Toronto today - there are NO jobs. Please do not go there thinking you will be able to settle post-graduation. If you are only interested good education at a reasonable price, go there, otherwise no no no...

Btw nova scotia is a very beautiful province, do check out cape breton + the people of halifax are very friendly. Nightlife sucks