+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Academic IELTS VS General IELTS

zaidkhalid

Oct 29, 2008
I submitted my application from 30 Dec 2008 and I hope they will contact me shortly.

I have one question, I did an academic IELTS in March 2008 do they will accept it or I need to do the General IELTS?

anyone in the same case or share his/her experience, I appreciate that.

Cheers,
Zaid

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rupeshhari said:
Zaid

I read somewhere on the forum that someone sent in the academic IELTS and it got accepted. CIC recommnds the general IELTS but if you have already done the academic one, it might be okay (at least according that person who posted the message).
Why would CIC state

"The University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate, IDP Education Australia: IELTS Australia and the British Council administer this test.

Note: IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests: General Training and Academic. You must take the General Training option. "http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp

if they would accept Academic?

A-square

Jan 24, 2007
Hi,

I did the academic IELTS as there was no available slot for general IELTS in my country at that time.
I got very good grades and they were accepted and now I've even sent passports to CHC for visa stamping. So, I'm sure it's accepted depending on the circumstances.

However, I do not advice that one should go for academic IELTS if the general one is available because the academic one is more difficult to pass especially in regards to the writing and reading portions. It's just the speaking and listening tests that are same. I hope this clarifies it all

cut

Jan 19, 2009
botswana
Category........
Visa Office......
PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2009
Doc's Request.
26-10-2009
AOR Received.
26-10-2009
File Transfer...
19-02-2010
Med's Request
14-02-2012
Med's Done....
16-04-2012
if u want to go for studies only academic module is acceptable but for immigration both modules are acceptable. if u aleardy done academic you dont need to reapeat it. although recommended prefrence is general, and it is bit eaiser than academic.

shailesh3507

Jul 29, 2011
My friend had given Academic IELTS and the file was submitted to CIO Office in June 2010. CIO accepted the file but instructed to appear for General IELTS!