+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About urgent processing and eligibility to request urgent processing

Scottpark77

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
I know some people are going to just leave a link:
Link1)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

and I know some people are just going to leave a comments about their "opinions"
"you need to have a job offer that requires you to be a Canadian citizen to accept it"
but why is everyone saying so? the link clearly says:
To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:
  • needing Canadian citizenship to:
    • apply for a job
I personally think we have to comprehend with their words on website at face value.
"to Apply for a Job" is different from "to Accept a job offer".
I am wondering if there is anyone that could have applied for urgent request to apply for a job, not to accept the job offer.

Please,
Link2)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/urgent-application-cases.html
Do not link and and say, there is no section says about applying for a job so needing citizenship to apply for a job is not going to be considered as emergency.
this link does not say anything about going to Canadian University or college at all either while on Link1 there is clearly the mentioning.

Also, if you apply for an urgent request, do u get email notification when your request to urgent process approves?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I'm curious about this too actually. I currently work for a local government and would love to apply for the province or feds, but it requires citizenship. Would this be considered urgent processing since it's not exactly a career jump from one government entity to another?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Link1)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

and I know some people are just going to leave a comments about their "opinions"
"you need to have a job offer that requires you to be a Canadian citizen to accept it"
To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:
    • apply for a job
I personally think we have to comprehend with their words on website at face value.
I am wondering if there is anyone that could have applied for urgent request to apply for a job, not to accept the job offer.

Please,
Link2)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/urgent-application-cases.html
Do not link and and say, there is no section says about applying for a job so needing citizenship to apply for a job is not going to be considered as emergency.
this link does not say anything about going to Canadian University or college at all either while on Link1 there is clearly the mentioning.

Also, if you apply for an urgent request, do u get email notification when your request to urgent process approves?
Fair enough, go ahead and follow what they say on their website (which I personally understand as applying and getting a job offer) and let's know how it goes, and if they refuse your request, point to them what they say on their website. If applying for jobs is a good reason for UP, ALL of us would use that reason to expedite our applications because we wouldn't need any proof from the employer, but I know you want to follow literally what they say, so by all means go ahead and submit your request.

Last edited:

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Fair enough, go ahead and follow what they say on their website (which I personally understand as applying and getting a job offer) and let's know how it goes, and if they refuse your request, point to them what they say on their website. If applying for jobs is a good reason for UP, ALL of us would use that reason to expedite our applications because we wouldn't need any proof from the employer, but I know you want to follow literally what they say, so by all means go ahead and submit your request.
I don't think IRCC is so naive. I feel that at the very least, you need to demonstrate to IRCC why you are a good match for the position. So it would not result in a situation where everyone can request urgent processing just because jobs exist that require citizenship.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I don't think IRCC is so naive. I feel that at the very least, you need to demonstrate to IRCC why you are a good match for the position. So it would not result in a situation where everyone can request urgent processing just because jobs exist that require citizenship.
A good match based on what? If you applied for jobs, you know for 100s of jobs you are qualified for, very few respond to your applications. So, my question is again: how would you demonstrate you are a good match for IRCC? Just by citing job requirements and your past experiences? Anyone can do that.

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Link1)

• apply for a job

Please,
Link2)

I agree with your interpretation. When it comes to official wording, we have to take it at face value. There is a substantial difference between "applying for a job" and "accepting a job offer", and the official wording is the former.

Last edited:

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
A good match based on what? If you applied for jobs, you know for 100s of jobs you are qualified for, very few respond to your applications. So, my question is again: how would you demonstrate you are a good match for IRCC? Just by citing job requirements and your past experiences? Anyone can do that.
I would suggest attaching the CV and the job advert and explain in the web form why your education/training/experience makes you a good match for the position. Whether you would otherwise get the position is an entirely different matter. And whether IRCC accepts such a request is also an entirely different matter.

As applicants, we must go by the literal wording in official instructions. "Applying for a job" is substantially different from "accepting a job offer", and IRCC has adopted the former wording. So we will have to go by that.

I know you are against this because you feel that your own application has experienced substantial delays and you do not want IRCC to process/accept more urgent requests than is absolutely necessary. But you should not allow your personal emotions to affect an objective assessment of the issue at hand. The fact is that you do not know whether IRCC would accept such a request for urgent processing, and you would do well to refrain from drawing a conclusion on behalf of IRCC.

Reactions: novascotia27

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I would suggest attaching the CV and the job advert and explain in the web form why your education/training/experience makes you a good match for the position. Whether you would otherwise get the position is an entirely different matter. And whether IRCC accepts such a request is also an entirely different matter.

As applicants, we must go by the literal wording in official instructions. "Applying for a job" is substantially different from "accepting a job offer", and IRCC has adopted the former wording. So we will have to go by that.

I know you are against this because you feel that your own application has experienced substantial delays and you do not want IRCC to process/accept more urgent requests than is absolutely necessary. But you should not allow your personal emotions to affect an objective assessment of the issue at hand. The fact is that you do not know whether IRCC would accept such a request for urgent processing, and you would do well to refrain from drawing a conclusion on behalf of IRCC.
I am not letting my emotions interfere with my judgment. I follow the urgent processing thread from time to time, and people tried this, and reported back they were denied. I just try to make applicants aware that these kind of requests take from the resources to process and study even if they are not approved, which results in further delays to the applicant who requested it and for other applicants. If they have a separate resource for UP, I wouldn't care at all. But the way they do it affects other applicants. Also, if experience tells you anything about IRCC, it's that you should not take IRCC on what they say on their website. They say something and usually means something else. The examples are many on IRCC's ambiguity. But don't listen to me, that's fine. Go ahead and apply based on how you understand the website, and report back to us.

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
I am not letting my emotions interfere with my judgment. I follow the urgent processing thread from time to time, and people tried this, and reported back they were denied. I just try to make applicants aware that these kind of requests take from the resources to process and study even if they are not approved, which results in further delays to the applicant who requested it and for other applicants. If they have a separate resource for UP, I wouldn't care at all. But the way they do it affects other applicants. Also, if experience tells you anything about IRCC, it's that you should not take IRCC on what they say on their website. They say something and usually means something else. The examples are many on IRCC's ambiguity. But don't listen to me, that's fine. Go ahead and apply based on how you understand the website, and report back to us.
Well we don't know the specifics. It could be that the applicant did not/was not able to demonstrate why they are a good match for the job. It does not follow that IRCC would reject all such requests.

And to clarify, I am only talking about cases where the applicant genuinely wants the job, rather than exploiting existing provisions to expedite the citizenship process.

Scottpark77

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
"I follow the urgent processing thread from time to time, and people tried this, and reported back they were denied"
-> leave us a link so that we can see how someone got denied trying to apply for a certain job that requires Canadian Citizenship. I tried to search on this forum it looks like I could not find any.

I also personally found out that all of the job openings that requires Canadian Citizenship to apply, does not allow you to apply for the position at all unless you are a Canadian Citizen, and I do not think a position that requires Canadian Citizenship (usually a federal government) would forget to post applicant's status requirement either.
So when I read your logic of, "applying for a job and getting an offer" does not makes sense in my understanding.
Leave us a link if you can find a job opening that allows PRs to apply for, but has to be Canadian Citizen by the time PRs accept the job offer, it would actually makes sense for me to understand why there are some people that says: "you have to "accept the job offer" instead of "applying for a job"".

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
"I follow the urgent processing thread from time to time, and people tried this, and reported back they were denied"
-> leave us a link so that we can see how someone got denied trying to apply for a certain job that requires Canadian Citizenship. I tried to search on this forum it looks like I could not find any.

I also personally found out that all of the job openings that requires Canadian Citizenship to apply, does not allow you to apply for the position at all unless you are a Canadian Citizen, and I do not think a position that requires Canadian Citizenship (usually a federal government) would forget to post applicant's status requirement either.
So when I read your logic of, "applying for a job and getting an offer" does not makes sense in my understanding.
Leave us a link if you can find a job opening that allows PRs to apply for, but has to be Canadian Citizen by the time PRs accept the job offer, it would actually makes sense for me to understand why there are some people that says: "you have to "accept the job offer" instead of "applying for a job"".
You can mention in your job application that your citizenship application is in process, and can request to expedite the process if you were extended an offer. I believe this should be good enough to accept your application. I don't have time to search for you. If my logic is no good enough for you, just go ahead and apply. Good luck

Scottpark77

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
You can mention in your job application that your citizenship application is in process, and can request to expedite the process if you were extended an offer. I believe this should be good enough to accept your application. I don't have time to search for you. If my logic is no good enough for you, just go ahead and apply. Good luck
"You can mention in your job application that your citizenship application is in process, and can request to expedite the process if you were extended an offer"
Please read again what I have mentioned on previous reply. They will make a yes or no question section for job application, and if you click no, the application automatically stops there. At least all the federal government jobs that require someone to be Canadian Citizen were like this.
You just can't even get to the point where you are able to say your citizenship application is in process.

You are just salty and toxic that I have a different opinion from you, and I do not understand why?
I have posted my question in doubt. You are trying to say you are right. I ask you to give me support evidence, you avoid.
You do not have time to search for me? More like your belief is from what you made up of.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
"You can mention in your job application that your citizenship application is in process, and can request to expedite the process if you were extended an offer"
Please read again what I have mentioned on previous reply. They will make a yes or no question section for job application, and if you click no, the application automatically stops there. At least all the federal government jobs that require someone to be Canadian Citizen were like this.
You just can't even get to the point where you are able to say your citizenship application is in process.

You are just salty and toxic that I have a different opinion from you, and I do not understand why?
I have posted my question in doubt. You are trying to say you are right. I ask you to give me support evidence, you avoid.
You do not have time to search for me? More like your belief is from what you made up of.
I am sorry if I came across as toxic. I definitely didn't mean that. I think these forums should be a safe space to discuss anything related to immigration with respect to other members, even if it lacks moderation.

What I wanted to say is that without a proof from the employer, you most likely won't get any positive response from IRCC. I didn't apply myself, but saw others who did and failed. Also, bear in mind, urgent processing doesn't have a separate resource. So, unless it's absolutely necessary for citizenship, any urgent processing application is adding to the delay for those of us who have been waiting for years for our applications to be finalized. From the urgent processing thread I got the feeling that people are trying to find any reason to expedite their applications, and not the other way around. For example, find a job that requires a citizenship to expedite the citizenship process, and not having the citizenship to get a job.