+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About references and garantors when applying for Canadian passport

Christian32

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
I am currently awaiting for my Paper citizenship certificate to arrive and I was checking on the documents which are needed to apply ( for the 1st time) for a Canadian Passport. I am just confused with one thing. They require you to have 2 references who have known you for 2 years:
- Can one or both of those references be used by me and my spouse or do we have to know 2 persons each (so in total 4 persons)?
- Do they need to write a letter in which they certify that they have known me/us for 2 years?
- What about the guarantor? Does it need to be a different person than the above references?

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
General rule : follow the rules, and nothing more than the rules.
IRCC or Passport Canada didn't say anything about being a reference for more than one person : you can use that reference for more than one person.
IRCC didn't ask for anything but the references contact information? You don't need anything from the references but the contact information, including any document where they certify that they know the applicant.
The third question is already answered in here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#references
Who can't be a reference for you : first person listed : your guarantor. Probably means you already know the answer to this one and don't really need reassurance from unknown people on the internet...

Reactions: Christian32

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am currently awaiting for my Paper citizenship certificate to arrive and I was checking on the documents which are needed to apply ( for the 1st time) for a Canadian Passport. I am just confused with one thing. They require you to have 2 references who have known you for 2 years:
- Can one or both of those references be used by me and my spouse or do we have to know 2 persons each (so in total 4 persons)?
- Do they need to write a letter in which they certify that they have known me/us for 2 years?
- What about the guarantor? Does it need to be a different person than the above references?

Thank you in advance for the clarification.
- You and your spouse can use the 2 references for each of your passport applications
- No, You just need enter the details in the passport application form
- Yes. Guarantor needs to be a Canadian citizen and should be different than you reference

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html

Reactions: Christian32

Christian32

Star Member
Apr 11, 2019
Thank you fll for all those answers:) Can I use as reference an old friend of mine who lives accross the border, in the US?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you fll for all those answers:) Can I use as reference an old friend of mine who lives accross the border, in the US?
To avoid delays, make sure your references are available if or when we need to contact them.

• For example, they’re not travelling outside the country.
  • If they’re in a different time zone, it may take longer to contact them, which could delay your application.
We may ask for additional references at any time.

fayfeily

Star Member
Nov 24, 2014
Are these two references people need to be a Canadian resident or citizen?? Or they can be anyone with other status in Canada (e.g work permit or student permit)