+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

about police certificate after traveling back to home country

lili2307338

Mar 12, 2016
Hello, I have a question about my getting the police certificate from my home country for express express application. I got my Police Certificate in January this year. But I traveled back to my home country in February for about one month. So do I need to get the Police Certificate again now (because I traveled after I got the police certificate)?

Also do I need to get the police certificate in canada (have been in canada for three years)?

Thanks a lot.

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lili2307338 said:
Hello, I have a question about my getting the police certificate from my home country for express express application. I got my Police Certificate in January this year. But I traveled back to my home country in February for about one month. So do I need to get the Police Certificate again now (because I traveled after I got the police certificate)?

Also do I need to get the police certificate in canada (have been in canada for three years)?

Thanks a lot.
The short answer is that it is the safest option to get a new one.

CIC's rule is:
"For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

The critical terms is "lived". Technically you didn't return to your home country to live there because your residence is now Canada. You just visited. So in theory you wouldn't need a new one.

But again, that term is up for interpretation.

If I was you, I would get a new one to be totally safe.

You do not need to get a Canadian PCC upfront. They will ask for it if they need it.

lili2307338

Mar 12, 2016
Dexmoody said:
The short answer is that it is the safest option to get a new one.

CIC's rule is:
"For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

The critical terms is "lived". Technically you didn't return to your home country to live there because your residence is now Canada. You just visited. So in theory you wouldn't need a new one.

But again, that term is up for interpretation.

If I was you, I would get a new one to be totally safe.

You do not need to get a Canadian PCC upfront. They will ask for it if they need it.

Thank a lot, Dexmoody. So maybe it is probably safer to get a new police certificate. But is it necessary to have it notarized? And also for the work experience in FSW, is it necessary to get the tax return (tax bill), along side with the pay stub and reference letter?

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lili2307338 said:
Thank a lot, Dexmoody. So maybe it is probably safer to get a new police certificate. But is it necessary to have it notarized? And also for the work experience in FSW, is it necessary to get the tax return (tax bill), along side with the pay stub and reference letter?
Don't get it notarised. You'll be uploading a scan anyways.

For foreign work experience, you only need the reference letter provided it fulfills all the requirements. Pay stubs and tax returns are not necessary, even though many people choose to include them voluntarily. I didn't, and my application was approved without problems.

It is a different story if you have gaps in your reference letter. For example, if the RL doesn't mention your salary (as it should), then you should include pay stubs to prove that it was a paid position. If the RL does mention the salary, pay stubs are redundant.

lili2307338

Mar 12, 2016
Dexmoody said:
Don't get it notarised. You'll be uploading a scan anyways.

For foreign work experience, you only need the reference letter provided it fulfills all the requirements. Pay stubs and tax returns are not necessary, even though many people choose to include them voluntarily. I didn't, and my application was approved without problems.

It is a different story if you have gaps in your reference letter. For example, if the RL doesn't mention your salary (as it should), then you should include pay stubs to prove that it was a paid position. If the RL does mention the salary, pay stubs are redundant.
Dexmoody, I still have a more question about the police certificate. Because my home country doesn't issue an English version police certificate. If I don't get it notarized, I should at least get it translated, right? So can I translate myself or I should have a formal organization do it (I was checking the CIC checklist website and it doesn't mention anything about it "cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp" (sorry somehow I am not allow to post link in the post, so I remove "www." before the link))

And also for Reference Letter from previous employer, should I include "an offer from employer (previous employer)" too? Or the "offer" is only required from the current employer, not the previous employer? The checklist in website above is also kind of vague about this (and it seems the content required in the RL and "offer from employer" are similar).

Thanks a lot.

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lili2307338 said:
Dexmoody, I still have a more question about the police certificate. Because my home country doesn't issue an English version police certificate. If I don't get it notarized, I should at least get it translated, right? So can I translate myself or I should have a formal organization do it (I was checking the CIC checklist website and it doesn't mention anything about it "cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp" (sorry somehow I am not allow to post link in the post, so I remove "www." before the link))

And also for Reference Letter from previous employer, should I include "an offer from employer (previous employer)" too? Or the "offer" is only required from the current employer, not the previous employer? The checklist in website above is also kind of vague about this (and it seems the content required in the RL and "offer from employer" are similar).

Thanks a lot.
You must translate any document not in English or French. You can't translate it yourself. You must use a certified translator. Google "certified translator" + your province to find one near you. You must upload both the original (again, no notarisation needed) and the certified translation.

It even says so in the link you posted above.

See also http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=039&top=4

The offer letter is only required if you claim 600 points for an LMIA-approved job offer. Otherwise, the reference letter is enough, even for your current job.