+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About English Exam

apatel79

Dec 2, 2008
Hello ,

I am Indian , i have completed my four year Bachelor of Pharmacy from India through out English medium, I was worked in pharmacy shop for three year during my bachelor's. i am doing my master in USA in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing from last one year. I have a good English proficiency. so i have to give that ILETS exam for English test otherwise i have to submit the written letter for exam waver?

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
The IELTS is highly recommended, but not mandatory.

If you do not want to submit a IELTS score, then you must write a letter indicating how many points you claim for each ability (speaking, writing, listening, reading) and explain why. You may also add letters from employers, co-workers, professors, etc., who can attest to your competencies.

On the CIC website, you'll find detailed descriptions of what each ability entails and how they are assessed.

Good luck!

ghiaskhan

If your educational institutions can issue a certificate that throughout your career as student ,medium of instruction had been English, it will be a good evidence to consider about your ability in this language. I am sure at your Secondary & higher secondary levels you must have studied English as a subject apart from the other subjects.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

eduardoF said:
The IELTS is highly recommended, but not mandatory.

If you do not want to submit a IELTS score, then you must write a letter indicating how many points you claim for each ability (speaking, writing, listening, reading) and explain why. You may also add letters from employers, co-workers, professors, etc., who can attest to your competencies.

On the CIC website, you'll find detailed descriptions of what each ability entails and how they are assessed.

Good luck!
Except the CHC is going to come back and state that you require the IETLS. This is because they found too may glowing statements on how the applicants used English and their excellent grasp of it, and when they turned up for an interview they required an interpreter.

PMM

zaidkhalid

Oct 29, 2008
very important for IELTS

there is a change of computing score this change is invlove all the IELTS exams after 28/11/2008
the change as follow:
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Test score equivalency chart (applications received or test reports dated after November 28, 2008

Level Points: Test results for each ability
(per ability): Listening, Reading, (General training) Writing, (General training), Speaking

High: 7.5 - 9.0 6.5 - 9.0 6.5 - 9.0 6.5 - 9.0
First official
language: 4

Moderate: 5.5 - 7.0 5.0 – 6.0 5.5 - 6.0 5.5 - 6.0
First official
language: 2

Basic: 4.5 – 5.0 3.5 – 4.5 4.0 – 5.0 4.0 – 5.0
First and
second official
language
1 (to a
maximum of 2)

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
If English is not your native language then most probably you need a IELTS test. If you haven't applied yet, you can see the chart and the scores are now changed. With the Master Degree and depending upon your work experience, you may not need all highs.

Don't assume and rely on letters and CIC will waive IELTS, you need to sit in IELTS to prove your English proficiency.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can take IELTS in the US. Go to http://www.ielts.org/ and at the top you can select your country.

casky

Dec 3, 2008
Leon said:
Yes, you can take IELTS in the US. Go to http://www.ielts.org/ and at the top you can select your country.
Thanks! I found CELPIP can only be taken within Canada....

Sisifo

Nov 5, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
This is because they found too may glowing statements on how the applicants used English and their excellent grasp of it, and when they turned up for an interview they required an interpreter.
IELTS provides an independent benchmark against which your English proficiency is measured. Just prepare well and sit the exam. It avoids delaying what is already a lengthy process.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Sisifo,

I will agree with you, people who submitted their High score IELTS tests with all supporting documents attached seems to get their process completed quicker than the one who don't have. IELTS is the one which delays it most.

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Are the IELTS results still valid for 1 year only?
My IELTS qualifies as "high" under new rules (with 6.5 in speaking), but I took it in October 2007 :( it is valid for the testing agency for sure (they have 2 years), but is it still valid for teh Buffalo office? I did not found anything regarding validity in the new FSW-guide...
Do you think it makes sense to send an old score together with the letter of explanation?
Pls Advise! Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kisunja said:
Are the IELTS results still valid for 1 year only?
My IELTS qualifies as "high" under new rules (with 6.5 in speaking), but I took it in October 2007 :( it is valid for the testing agency for sure (they have 2 years), but is it still valid for teh Buffalo office? I did not found anything regarding validity in the new FSW-guide...
Do you think it makes sense to send an old score together with the letter of explanation?
Pls Advise! Thanks!
It is valid only if it was take within 1 year of the submission of the application. So if you haven't submitted your application, the year is past, and it is no longer valid.

PMM

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks PPM!
Too bad they did not change this as well...
I have already signed up for the test in March. Hope old results and proficiency letter would still count as a proof and they will not at least refuse my app straight away

momo2x1

Apr 19, 2008
zaidkhalid

does this apply only for those who applied after 27th feb.2008?
i applied in sep. 2006 but i didin't do the exam yet. will it be assesed according to the new changes ? or the old ones?
thanx in advance