+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About addresses on Background Declaration

NewDad

Jan 1, 2013
Living in many areas of the Philippines, from Cebu to rural provinces, there are no street numbers and often no street names. The address is usually given by barangay, city and then whatever directions you want to give. So when filling out the Background Declaration I would say we lived at Suba, Liloan, Cebu (for example) and that would be acceptable on a Philippine ID card. Will it be acceptable on the IMM Background Declaration? Or what will be?

Secondly, when filling out the background application for the sponsor (me), My legal address is in Canada but I have spent little time there in the last 5 years. Instead I have been living as a tourist, with my CL spouse, in Philippines. What address do they want from me? Where I physically am or where my ID says I call home?

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
We had to settle for Barangay, City, Philippines on that form. We had no trouble with that, and it sounds like that is what you plan to put.

If I were you, I would put my Canadian (taxation) address, especially if you're just visiting and you're not a "resident" there. We received no mail at my Canadian address, we received everything via email (others may have had other experience).

xxdieselxx

Star Member
Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2, 2013
AOR Received.
August 17, 2013
File Transfer...
SA Received: August 29, 2013
Med's Done....
July 24, 2013
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
May 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
June 16, 2014
LANDED..........
July 2, 2014
We used the Barangay, City and Philippines for the my (sponsor) app because I am a resident. We also used my wife's sister's address in Manila as the mailing address on her app because it has a proper address with number and street names. If you have someone collecting your mail in Canada, you might want to use that as your mailing address as you are not officially a resident here but I don't think it matters. The main thing is to have some trust in that whenever they send something, you actually get it and in a timely manner. So far they have only contacted me via email which is my preferred way of communication.

NewDad

Jan 1, 2013
Just a thank you for the responses. Between reading forums, CIC sites, and filling forms this is like doing a semester at college. At least I am getting an education.